“Wanna Captain Who Will Work For You? Hats Off To Dave ~Enterprise~ Gotta Love Him!”

Captain’s Reel Deep Sea Fishing
Ranked #3 of 9 Tours in Newport
More attraction details
Owner description: Captain's Reel Charters provides individual and group trips for deep sea fishing, ocean/bay crabbing, and whale watching. Each season of the year offers unique charters & attractions. Ocean excursions can be close to shore for rock fishing or ocean crabbing. We travel into deep water for Halibut, and troll for Salmon. Our charters can extend up to 100 miles off shore fishing for Albacore Tuna.
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We've gone out on 4 seperate trips, paying for a total of 11 individuals (in just the last few months with Captain's Reel Charters). We've fished on 3 of the 4 boats with 3 different captains. Our first time out on the Enterprise with captain Dave we had a great day!!! Limited on rockfish, crew was great, everything was wonderful!!!

Second trip out, we took 3 of our 7 children with us. Fishing wasn't good, crew did work hard trying, gear wasn't great!!! The captain was really the only one hooking fish. He worked to get the kids fish to fight. He was using (much) better lures and pole though. Came home with 8 rockfish out of 5 people. We know it's called fishing not catching for a reason, but gear and presentation (lures) makes the difference.

Our third trip out was very upsetting. We made a last minute decision, I called the office to inquire how the fishing was to see if we wanted to pay again to fish. The young gal said "crabbing was great and fishing is good". We decided to book a rockfish trip for the next day. We boarded and the first words said by the captain were "fishing has been slow". I was disappointed and took a deep breath while smiling. Captain was telling the truth, fishing was so slow that between my better half and myself we hooked ONE fish. I don't know what fishing report I was given but it was not accurate!!

Now we've never done a Tuna trip and having had 3 different experience with this outfit and three different captains we really wanted to give them another try. We worked hard to book our trip with the captain we requested. To pay yet again for a tuna trip we had "great faith" in captain Dave!!!! The Enterprise is the boat to be on!! Dave is the captain to have working for you~!!~ He took us on a 12 hour run, long day, rough waters, winds blowing, and up to 50 miles out. We had a triple hook up and a few hours later a double. Hats off to him, he called the double minutes before they hit. We had 11 angelers and landed 14 tuna. The bite was slow, we new that going into the day. Dave and his crew worked hard for their customers!! Allison you're awesome for only doing this for a short time, your bedside manners were great!! Aaron (Eric ??) was a bit quiet but precise in what he did. No fish lost to gear or deck hands. Thanks Dave and Allison for getting my tuna in the boat. He was a scapper, he ALMOST won the fight but with your help we landed him.

I really apprecate Dave and his skills!!! People put trust in captains who know nothing of them. Our lives are intrusted in the knowledge and skills they hold.
Daves experience speaks volumes!!! I have faith in his ability to get us back safe and look forward to fishing with him for years to come!!!! The choice of deck hands he chooses is the finest out of our experiences!!! The captain gets us home safe, deck hands MAKE or BREAK the day.

P.S. Dave,I hope you fly high and fall fast!! (skydiving)

~I THANK YOU~

1  Thank christine C

Reviewed August 17, 2012

I went out with Captains Reel aboard the Longfin for a six hour salmon trip in late July 2012. The fishing was good in the early morning, but slowed as the day progressed. I caught two keepers (9 and 14 lbs) right off the bat. I wasn’t allowed to fish anymore since I had my limit, so I helped others with their fish. Even though the seas weren’t particularly rough the day I went, half of the people on the boat got sea sick. For heaven’s sake people, if you do not have experience fishing in the open ocean go visit a physician and get some prescription meds before you even think about going deep sea fishing. Don’t rely on Dramamine as it doesn’t work for some people. Prescription sea sick meds will save you from the worst 6-12 hours of your life, trust me. No complaints about the captain, gear, or boat. The guys who fillet at the dock were top notch. The Salmon steaks I had them cut were excellent. I have been out with a lot of different charter companies over the years and I would have to give Captain’s Reel a solid 4 out of 5.

2  Thank TrailBoss619
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Took my father, uncle and nephew on a 6 hour Salmon and Crab charter. There were 7 total passengers including us and the other group purchased the crabbing package.

An experienced purchaser of charters, I was happy to find that the boat left on time and the first mate seemed experienced. The reels were all Shimano and the navigation was the latest Garmin. I am not sure the sonar was updated or if it was, we didn't go over many fish. The fishing poles were older and the first mate did break one trying to get it out of the pole holder but they were usable for the most part.

The captain didn't seem all that interested in fishing for Salmon as the Tuna were on a run and that was where the action seemed to be for the week. I didn't want to take my father and uncle on a 12 hour trip so decided on the Salmon trip instead. Always a risk to not go after the hottest catch but sometimes pays off.

The first mate set up a 10 pole spread using dipsy divers off the sides. We could only keep Chinook(King) but only caught Silver (Coho). 7 people on board, 7 catches and then back to shore. The captain didn't have any interest in checking with other tours to see if there was a better spot for catching Chinook. It was a disappointing that there wasn't more of a drive by the captain to set off the poles.

The crab pots were full and I was happy for the other group as they had a good haul. We had caught our crab on our own which was much more fun for my nephew as he got to bait, drop and pull up his own nets! I am glad we did it that way instead.

I am usually a big tipper on charters even when I don't catch (which is often). As long as I see that the captain and crew are working hard to make it fun and get on the fish, I believe in a fitting reward. I gave the 1st mate 10% and didn't bother with the captain. That says volumes!

3  Thank CJDembow
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We caught 28 Tuna on 7/31 not the reported 71!!!! We lost four fish due to poor knot tying and old fishing line on the reels!! Skipper claimed the were "SHARK BITE-OFFS". The light tackle available on the boat was junk!! Okuma reels(Wal- Mart Specials) have plastic gears and can't handle the power of the tuna. I was told by the skipper i didn't know how to use the reel properly...but I noticed he was using an AVET reel when he was fishing not the junk provided to the clients. I saw the the mate tighten the drag on clients' reels two different times while fighting the fish, both times resulted in lost of fish. I've fished around the world and have owned and skippered boats for hire so I feel speak with some authority, the Long Fin needs SOME WORK!!! A bad Cutlass bearing was causing a very bad vibration!! Would I fish with these guys again? NO... they do an ok job for the occasional "walk-in", but if you are serious about fishing and I would look around for another charter.

2  Thank benrevxp
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Our Halibut Trip last Friday was fantastic. Great ship (Longfin), Captain and Crew! Limited out on Halibut! Sea was rough but the Captain & Crew did all they could for the customers.
Our Rock Fishing trip was good on Sunday as well. 4 to 6 Rock Fish each and we limited out on large Crab!