“Great soup and sandwhich”
Review of La Maison

La Maison
Ranked #16 of 111 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Baker City, Oregon
“Great soup and sandwhich”
Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

This is a little quaint bakery off hwy 101 one block. This is worth trying. Realy good food, portions could be a bit more but overall, worth the money. Haven't tried their pastries but the bread on my sandwhich was awesome. Check it out!

Ashland, Oregon
“Our kind of place!”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I'm an unabashed foodie, Whenever I'm planning a visit to a new town I research first where I'm going to eat - THEN where to stay and what to do while I'm there! I popped onto TripAdvisor to read through the Newport restaurant reviews, and decided from other diner's comments and the menus that La Maison was indeed our kind of place.

The food, as others have pointed out, was just stellar. Creamy potato soup, buttery croissants (the chef uses only imported French butter for his croissants for a more authentic taste), rich, decadent hollandaise spiked with just a whisper of Pernod, golden-yolked local farm eggs, OJ squeezed to order, and a pastry case filled with house-made breads, cakes and indulgences to die for. Although absolutely everything behind the glass looked scrumptious, we followed the chef's suggestion and took home slices of coconut cake with lemon curd as my birthday cake - it was just ridiculously delicious. Even their coffee was amazing.

What you DON'T really get from the reviews is the friendliness of the young couple who run the place - Kate, at the front of the house, and her husband Cliff in the kitchen. They're just delightful, and Kate even steered me to another restaurant (Local Ocean) the first day we happened by, as I really wanted a seafood dinner that night and La Maison is a decidedly breakfast and lunch cafe (except, apparently, a special dinner once a month). We stayed for soup and pastry that afternoon, and liked them so much we went back over the next two days.

One last unexpected treat: the bruleed bananas and creme amuse bouche that was presented to us while we sipped our coffee and waited for brekkies was just awesome -- I am SO stealing that idea for my next at home brunch! :-)

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank SusanneRobertson
Seattle
“Fabulous breakfast here”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We had a really wonderful breakfast here. The coffee, which is true French Roast, can't be beat. Also a treat are the banana and nuts in cream "appetizers." I had the crepes stuffed with eggs and tomato, and my husband had the Eggs Benedict. All was wonderful. The pastries looked simply amazing, too. Service was friendly and attentive.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Bearwife
Victoria, Canada
“Great breakfasts”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Small, but excting breakfast menu. Quaint surroundings, good service, reasonably priced. I had the eggs benedict and my wife had a breakfast sandwich (like an egg mcmuffin except that instead of an egg it contained a cheese omelete and the tasty English Muffin was baked on the premises. Both were served with a fruit cocktain of bananas and hazelnuts and a delicious sauce

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Canadiantravellers93
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
“We were delighted!”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

My wife and I were at La Maison when Jacqueline h came in on Oct 15. I'm sorry they got a bum rap not getting their special order, but things happen. We watched the waitress get constantly harassed as she tried to apologize. No matter what she did, they continued to tell her how the restaurant had made them miserable. I almost started crying. Yes, she was in the right not getting her pre-assigned lamb, but get over it, mistakes are made and reparations were trying to be made. I applauded the chef for standing up for his employee knowing a poor review would be in the making. If I were Jacqueline, I would go back in and apologize and continue with life; life is too short as it is. By the way, we had breakfast there today, and it was fabulous.

• Visited October 2012