Econo Lodge
Comfort Inn Newport(Newport)(Great Value!)
$90
  • Beachfront
$107
$118
Great 4.5/5
Best Western Plus Agate Beach Inn(Newport)(Great Value!)
$150
Agate Beach Motel(Newport)
$114
Excellent 5/5
Great 4.5/5
All reviewshomemade banana breadeconomy hotelsroom was cleanbeautiful newporthot wafflescloser to the beachwaffle makerbudget hotelawesome staypleasant stayview of the oceanconvenient locationhear the waveshard boiled eggsking bedcomfort innoregon coast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I don't have big expectations for Econolodges. They are cheap and when I won't be spending much time in the room, I don't worry about it. This motel was ok, nothing fancy at all. The continental breakfast did not have many selections. Bed was comfortable, room was ok.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We found this place last minute that would accept dogs, not just the 2 pound kind that many places that adverse "pet friendly" will accept. The room was clean, though certainly not fancy, which is what we would expect at such a reasonable price. It was perfect for us as we came to the coast for a mini vacation on the beach with the dogs, not to spend our time in a hotel room. The staff was very accommodating, helpful, and friendly. There was a nice area provided for the dogs to take care of business with clean-up bags provided. I would recommend to anyone traveling with their four-legged friends.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Tough review. I've stayed here a few times in recent years. It's never going to be above a 3 star property (and even for that, it's 3 stars for it's price range), but it can be a definite "one night on the way" stay. However, if you get one of the really bad rooms (hint, the ones in the back on the lower level facing the ocean are really bad, avoid like the plague), it's barely 2 stars.

The Good: Front desk is very friendly, price is very nice, and location is quite good. Parking is decent.

The Problems: Room quality varies from "you know, for the price, this is okay" to "OMG, get me the tent". It's not the cleanest, certainly NOT the most quiet, but some of the rooms are downright bad - this year I stayed in one where the curtains were see through and the bathroom was pretty sketchy.

I think if the property just went through a basic rehab I could give it 3 stars (for the price), but at this time I struggle to recommend it; you're FAR better off spending the (many more) dollars at the Comfort Inn literally a block away, which is a few classes better a property easily.

Room Tip: Simply put, I'd rather go to the dentist than stay in one of the lower level / ocean facing rooms again. They are THAT bad; avoid at all costs. 2nd story road facing rooms seem to fare better and can be marginally recommended as "one night on the way through town" options for the price.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 10, 2013

As soon as we stepped into the room there was a strong chemical smell mixed with a horrible air freshener smell. It was so bad we had to prop open the door and the window to get the chemicalish smell out of the room. Soon we noticed a strong odor under all the cover up sprays. Dog urine! It was so strong we left the hotel and walked around town until we were so tired we came back and went to bed. We even sprayed Lysol disinfectant as well as animal odor remover, and Febreeze candles. These didn't even touch the strong smell of dog pee. We slept with the window AND door propped open. We checked out right away in the morning because the smell made us literally sick it was so bad. We also now have flea bites all over our arms and legs thanks to our not so great pet room. (We didn't go to the beach so it's no possibly way it was sand fleas BTW). Mentioned to the gal at the front desk and I received about a $13 discount (less than we spent on trying to make it smell better). When we got home our bags that were on the floor REEK of dog pee!! So gross!!! I guess the moral of this story is if you want a place that smells tolerable enough to be comfortable in the room, and don't want your things to smell like dog urine even after you leave the hotel, then don't stay here. Wish we at least got an offer on a future stay at another Choice Hotel, or more of a refund than a measly $13ish bucks.
Signed,
P.O.ed Guest (literally)

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Mullihm
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Like some one rlse said you get what you pay for. Woke up too bed bugs crawling on the bed and childern with bites on them. Searched room to look at how bad it was and found used panties between bed and wall! Went to front desk and they offered to refund 10%! Demanded refund and spent the rest of the afternoon sterilizing our clothes. awesome start to vacation

• Stayed: July 2013
EconoLodgeNewport, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2013

I would like to apologized to you again that you had this experience at our hotel. I wish that you would have mentioned finding the undergarmets when you spoke to us at the front desk, though I have set up some new policies for my housekeepers so we can prevent both the problems you experienced in the future. We did issue you a refund and offer to launder your clothes, and I would like to know how we could have made your stay better. I am sure you will be pleased to know we have since had the room isolated and treated, and further inspection shows the rest of our rooms were not affected. To prevent the unfortunate circumstances of your trip we are instituting stronger prevention policies. If you would like to give us another try to give you the kind of stay you should have enjoyed, please contact me and I will set up a stay in our suite free of charge.

Dawn Cuevas, General Manager.