“A bit of a miss here”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Newport
Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed August 26, 2009

The Holiday Inn Express

Whenever looking for inexpensive accommodation, I usually seek out a HIExpress or Hampton Inn. We stayed here with several other families on the weekend of August 22/09. Check in was fine. Even though the offerings are nothing I would order, I really appreciate having breakfast right there in the lobby – such a time saver. The room was adequate – not great. Hampton beds are way better. I noticed after showering that my towel was filthy. There is a small fridge in the room; very convenient. Only ours was full of food - someone else’s food. Also, we were in a handicap accessible room. I would have been really put out if I had indeed had a physical limitation. The shower head was almost impossible to detach and much too high for a wheelchair bound person to reach. Likewise, the wall attached hair dryer was very inconveniently placed – very high and too far away from the mirror and counter top, which were at a standard height. The dryer was also all wrong for this room – you must depress the on switch the entire time to make it work. The general cleanliness was teetering on the edge of badness. I have read the other reviews and will say that our room had 4 towels, so at least that has been improved. Even though this is a brand new property, I can only give it a 2 because of the lack of cleanliness and while there is no one with a physical limitation in our family, such an individual would potentially be unable to shower or use the hair dryer.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
GMNewportHIE, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Newport, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2011

Thanks you for your review we really do appreciate any suggestions our guests may have to improve the guest experience. We are so very sorry that your room was not up to your expectations and assure you that we are working hard to accommodate all of our guest and maintain the high standards of Holiday Inn express.

Reviewed August 26, 2009

My family and I chose the Holiday Inn Express Newport for our mini family reunion, the rooms were spacious and new. The staff was great very accomodating and professionsal. I would recommend to anyone in the area!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank MontanaCoastlover

Thank you so much for your review and comments. We are very happy to hear your family had a nice stay here in Newport and would loved to have you all back for your next reunion.

See you then

Reviewed August 24, 2009

I stayed at this hotel during my first visit to Newport. Besides loving the town, I really liked this hotel. Sure, it's new and there were maybe a couple of kinks to work out, but nothing I couldn't deal with. I like it because it's QUIET. I don't mean the hotel was empty, in fact, there were a lot of people there. But I couldn't hear them, or the highway, or any noise. LOVE THAT. The hotel was just two blocks from the aquarium, Rogue Brewery, and the Hatfield Science Center which was very fun to be able to check out even though it was a business trip. The breakfast was decent, and the staff is friendly, and maybe it's just Newport, but I found this business trip to be very relaxing. Two draw backs: I wish there was a sign on the side of the building (but I guess that's being fixed) that said Holiday Inn Express because it was a little hard to find, and second, I wish they had more late night food options. Other than that, it was a great stay!

Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank JamiSF

Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express while visiting Newport. We are pleased that you enjoyed you stay and our facility. We look forward to your future stays!

Reviewed August 21, 2009

The staff was friendly and helpful full of information,for places to go see and to eat as well. Our room was so comfortable and roomy. The breakfast was excellant,my childern loved the cinnamon rolls. We enjoyed the pool and Hot tub. I can't wait to tell my friends and family what a wonderful experience we had.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank LittleRedHotrod

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are so happy that you and your family had such a great time while visiting the coast and staying in our facility. We can't wait to have you visit again.

Reviewed August 17, 2009

I just stayed here and It was great. I found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The bed was a pillow top and so comfortbale that I want to check into getting one when I get home. The Indoor Pool was a great temp. Breakfast in the morning was good and filling. I will stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Schellin

Thank you for your review of our hotel and the compliment. It is our pleasure to serve our guest and we value your opinions.

Reviewed August 12, 2009

This hotel had recently opened when we stayed there August 6, 2009. They still had a few bugs to work out. Shannon at the front desk took care of out needs wonderfully. I would recommend this affordable hotel to any age group.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank PurpleHayes

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and the wonderful compliments. We know that you have so many hotel choices while visiting Newport and we appreciate you choosing the Holiday Inn Express.

Reviewed August 10, 2009

We stayed here with our two young daughters. It went from bad to worse from the check-in on. The front desk service was deplorable. If you didn't get the "back in 5 minutes" sign (which really means 45-60 minutes) then you were misfortunate enough to deal with Laura, queen of the bad attitudes. Checking in with her was like checking in to a county jail. I did not bring my work ID because it is an access ID, apparently you are supposed to bring it if you want your company rate (have never had to show it at the multitude of hotels I stay at every year). I showed her every ID I did own, including my professional license. After being scolded by her, I was expecting a cavity search by her demeanor, she reluctantly handed over our room keys. There were only 3 towels in the room, so I called to the desk first and no one answered. Then I went to the front desk. I had to wait 20 minutes for some one to "be back in 5 minutes" then it was Laura again. Yep, she told me she was the only one there and she was busy and I would have to wait. Meanwhile, 6 people came to the desk saying there weren't any towels at the pool. She told everyone of them that she was busy and she would get to it when she could. There weren't any guest services books in the room like every other hotel on the planet, so I asked the guy at the front desk if he knew of a good restaurant in the area. He said he didn't know because he didn't live in the area, he then asked Laura who unfortunately walked out of the back room. She waved her left arm in the air and said "there's some down the road that way" and then she walked back to the back room. So, we returned later to find, yes 3 towels in the room again. I stopped a scruffy looking employee in the hallway and asked for a towel. When I stated that we keep getting 3 towels instead of 4, he snapped at me stating that "every room gets 3 towels, that's just the way it is!" I told him that was poor service and that the hotel knows the amount of people in each room and should provide accordingly. It apparently wasn't what he wanted to hear because he yelled at me saying "we don't know who's in the rooms!" I told him he had a bad attitude and wasn't very hospitable. Just then my husband came out of the room and they guy jetted down the hallway into a room spouting off "and for your information, I do have a good attitude!". A young lady came to the room shortly after and brought a towel. But the next day, 3 towels. Bottom-line, this place needs to fire all of these people and start over. The rate was not worth it. I witnessed countless people being told that their rooms weren't ready and would have to wait hours for it. This was said to them by the front staff without a ounce of warmth, compassion, or regret. One woman at the desk who was abnormally large, was very rude to a family standing at the desk. I was... waiting for a towel. I witnessed her tell them their room wouldn't be ready for hours. The father tried to ask for another room, stated they had reservations and asked for some timeline because of his small children. She was cold as ice and said "when it's ready, I don't know when". It was after 6 pm. CRAZY! Final thing, one of my co-workers just went down to Newport for the weekend and told me about it today. He said they had a nice time but would never stay at their hotel again. I asked him which one, he said this Holiday Inn. They too had to wait hours for their room and he said they were treated horribly. I'd avoid this place. There is a nice new LaQuinta next door, hopefully they have better staff.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family