“Budget Hotel in Newport”
Review of Travelodge Newport

Travelodge Newport
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed October 9, 2011

I was looking for a good budget hotel for one night in Newport. This hotel was comfortable and clean. I'm a light sleeper and didn't have any trouble falling asleep, although the hotel is located right on the 101. The staff was really nice and friendly. It was the first time I saw a "clean remote" on the desk and it was a nice additional feature. My only two complains are the lack of a hair dryer in the room and the mattress cover that has a somewhat hard and "plasticky" feel. Besides that, I was very satisfied.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Daniela203
comfortinn1, Public Relations Manager at Travelodge Newport, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2011

Thnak you for posting your comments regarding your stay at the Travelodge Newport. It is through the eyes of our guests that we are best able to critique our property. I understand there is a lack of outlets in or near the bathroom and we are working with our electricians to resolve this issue. I have asked the staff to remove the plasitc covers on the mattresses to eliminate that plastic feel. I hope you will consider the Travelodge Newport should you ever visit the area again so you can see the changes we are making.
Sincerely
The management

Reviewed October 4, 2011

This hotel is in a very convenient location just off Highway 101. There are several restaurants in the walking distance from the hotel. The front desk staff is very friendly and helpful. Our room is spacious and clean but the whole facility looks bit old and need upgrading in few areas. Average breakfast is included in the room rate which is a good feature for a early morning start to your travel.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 1, 2011

This hotel was comfortable and clean. Nice breakfast, nice staff. The king sized bed was very comfortable, and they had plenty of outlets for phones, cameras etc. My only complaint is the shower. There was no tub and the hot water took well over a minute to go from ice cold to warm.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed September 11, 2011

I stayed here recently on a Friday night as I had business the next day in Newport. The property, especially the office, has been renovated since the last time I stayed here (when it was still the Newport Motor Inn, before Travelodge bought it). The room was okay, but nothing more than that. There was no AC and you could hear noise from Hwy 101. I checked on-line booking prices, which are about $30 less than I paid as a walk-in, even with a discount. I don't have any real complaints, but neither do I have any real compliments.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 27, 2011

We stayed here for the weekend when we took my nephew to see the ocean for the first time. This was a good middle of the road motel. It was a full size bed where I had reserved a queen size.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 21, 2011

We found the Newport Travelodge on Tripadvisor and since most of the reviews were good we thought we would stretch our travel budget and save a little on the room by staying here instead of something in the $120 range that we would normally do. Big mistake. We almost didn't stay at all and definitely won't be back.
The room they gave us smelled like smoke and the bathroom was unacceptable. The toilet seat and lid should have been replaced about 10 years ago (bubbles under the paint pushing through from who knows what moisture). It doesn't take a top notch manager to know that it makes more sense to spend $12 on a new toilet seat than to have your guests walk out of the room. The shower was about the same. The walls were delaminating from years of overuse with cleaners I suppose. All I know is that my wife and I weren't going to use it.
I called the front desk and after a few minutes the manager and trainee came to look at what we had issues with. The manager was obviously not of the same mind and attempted briefly to defend the bathroom but quickly showed us another room. It was much better but still below par for $80.
The bottom line is that if you are used to staying in the $100 room and think it is worth a try to save $20 here don't waste your time.
Similar to other travelers who reviewed this property, the plastic mattress cover was uncomfortable and the mattress left much to be desired. Not a great nights sleep.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Eric M
Reviewed August 19, 2011

Finally I think I'll be able to post my review - somehow my 'five-star' and 'four-star' ratings for other hotels/inns have been posted, but this poor review that I've been trying to post since last year, never made it to the boards. Hmmmmm. Anyway, here's the review, its is a regular motel, which is fine, we just needed to stay at a no-frills place, since we were just passing by. The staff was nice and accomodating, we got into a 2nd floor room, I can't remember the room no. After we had carried our stuff in and put them away, I went into the bathroom and holy crap! The toilet bowl was practically brown from rust stains! (i hope it was rust, ewwww). I was too tired to ask for another room, since it was late and it was raining.. Big mistake - I should have just taken the effort to move - I'm sure the front desk would do that for me. My thing is, if the bathroom/room is kept clean on a regular basis, there would be no issues regarding stains in the bowl. Whew - this was so far the worst motel I've ever stayed in...

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple