“Worst Night Ever!!!”

Knights Inn Newport
Ranked #22 of 24 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed September 22, 2012

My husband and I stayed for one evening, the bed was like sleeping on a bed of nails. The restroom smelled of old urine. The pillows were as thick as a stick of gum and we received only one blanket and nearly froze due to the door that would not shut properly. You could see daylight thru the door which made us feel very insecure while staying there. I wrote a review and in return the GM of Knights Inn wrote me a nasty letter. The free breakfast consisted of crackers, muffins and juice along with coffee. We will never recommend this motel or stay here again. Stay at your own risk...

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Robert P

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Going into this, we weren't sure because of how cheap it was. But it turned out to be way more than we thought. Great location, close to fred meyer, chase bank, convenient store, and of course liquor store :). the room was clean and the staff was very nice. It is a bit older than most and it isn't a 5 star, but after all, you're on vacation, all you need is a place to sleep. we had no disturbances and the room stayed plenty warm with your own thermostat control. the cable and WiFi was good and for the price, we will DEFINITELY stay there the next time we go. I would recommend this for sure.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jake S
Reviewed September 3, 2012

The Knights Inn in Newport looks more like an old style mom and pop motel than a chain motel and I like that. It has been renovated a bit since the conversion to a Knights Inn. It could use a little more attention, but it was a nice stay for the week and a half we were there. Paint was peeling from the bathroom door. One wall could have been a bit cleaner as could the carpets, but we made the best of it. Fridge and microwave are in the room as are a dresser, table, desk, and chairs. The TV has a lot of channels to choose from even though I think a few were missing that were listed. Even though the Knights Inn website says its a non-smoking motel, I believe there are a few rooms that are. The owners tried to discourage people from smoking by taking some of the outside ashtrays off, but we still had to try evade smokers outside. The Dunbars (owners) have only had the place a couple of years and I believe they are trying. They are very nice and accommodating. The place does have a very basic continental breakfast which includes juice, muffins, bagels, and crackers. Not much, but enough to get you going until you eat breakfast. The location is nice too. Being in the northern part of town, you are closer to the main grocery stores if you need anything. It's a central location if you go north to the Yaquina Head area or south to the BayFront or Aquarium area. Next time I am in Newport I would consider staying here again.

Room Tip: Units in the back are quieter.
1  Thank Rainier72
Reviewed August 27, 2012

This is the first bad review I've ever given, but travelers should be warned about this place. We booked the 3-bed room (king and two doubles) for my family of 4, somewhat warily because of previous reviews, but the alleged value for paying in advance won out. BIG mistake. The room in question reeked of tobacco smoke ("smokeless" room indeed), had a broken bed and a screenless window (All the rooms lack screens.) with a view of a dingy hallway wall. As another reviewer pointed out, there were transients living there and the place's state of disrepair looked like something out of a film noir.

We felt trapped when we saw (and smelled) the room, but after we complained to the friendly couple who run it, they, to their credit, moved us to the Willers Motel (review of that elsewhere)down the street without asking any more money for doing so. But despite some measure of integrity on their part, I would not recommend this place to anyone. Newport doesn't seem to have any real value in a motel, but if you decide to stay there, don't make my mistake and try to save a few bucks with a bargain that isn't.

Room Tip: Choose a different motel.
5  Thank esskayess
Reviewed August 21, 2012

My family spent two nights at the Knights Inn Newport in August, and I would compare the quality of this property to a Motel 6. The lobby is small but decorated nicely, and the lady who owns the motel is so sweet, she really embodies the word hospitality. As we walked to our room, which was upstairs, around the building and along the side street, I began to feel apprehensive- the stairways and upstairs hallway were clean, but just looked dingy and ugly, and low-class, I guess, for lack of a better word. Walking to our room, it just gave the feeling that this might not be the kind of place you'd want to stay in. (I wasn't expecting a classy motel, but I guess I feel that even a budget motel can look attractive.) A refreshing in these areas would make a big difference and do away with the questionable feel. The downstairs hallways did not have this same feel to them, though. We were encouraged when we saw our room, however. It was larger than most, and was very well furnished, with not only a table and chairs, but a desk, as well, in addition to the fridge and micro. The best thing about it was the cleanliness. Two of us are former housekeepers, so we do check this out. Remember that as a low-cost, budget motel, the owners need to operate on a budget, so keep this in mind as you see the small towels, and the soaps that are so thin they will break if you're not careful when taking them out of the package. But the shower was wonderful, great shower head and pressure, in fact, it was obvious the bathroom had been remodeled, and if you're going to remodel something, the bath is the thing to start with- no old, gross bathroom here! It was actually kind of classy. The beds were very comfy. We did hear noise from Freddies across the street, and the traffic on 101- perhaps the back bldg would be better in this regard. The one thing that I found very unprofessional, however, was that our window only had one curtain panel- not the whole pair, so it barely stretched across the window- in fact there were gaps where anybody could see in along the sides because of this. I trust all the rooms weren't like this- hopefully they didn't just decide to save money by putting half a pair in each room, thus making them go twice as far! If it were my motel, I would have run across to Fred Meyers to get a full pair of curtians that very day, it would embarass me to have it this way, it just seems so tacky and unprofessioal. You can do that in your own home if you want, but it's not fitting for a place of business. The carpet was older and not very attractive, but it appeared clean, like everything else.
Breakfast consisted of little muffins in plastic bags like you'd buy at the checkstand, as well as juice and coffee. For the price, it is very nce of them to offer anything at all! We brought hardboiled eggs and fruit, and it made for a complete meal.
To sum it up, if you consider the most important things to be cleanliness, hospitality, and a good price, and the Knights Inn accomplishes its' purpose, eventhough It does have room for improvement.

Reviewed August 17, 2012

And dog friendly at no extra charge. The rooms lack ocean views but any drive along the Oregon Coast is one long, spectacular ocean view. (And it is difficult to enjoy ocean views while sleeping.) I recently completed a 13,000-mile trip by car across the US and Canada, and this place ranks among the best in terms of cleanliness and general comfort for not much money. I stayed three days while doing hiking and general sightseeing in the region. I'd come back in a flash. Coffee maker, fridge, microwave, continental breakfast, too.

Room Tip: Pet rooms are in the rear building on the ground floor. Traffic noise is not bad, and traffic drops...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank GeorgePortland_OR
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I drive by this motel every day on my way to and from work. I cringe when I think of the people who are coming to this area to visit and decide to stay here. This place has always been, for want of a better word, a dump. This particular location is a haven for transients in our town. We are familiar with their faces and know that they stay here at times because it's cheap. That alone would make me tell you not to come here. You never know who will be in the room next to your's. With the transient customers, comes drugs and alcohol. The place had a partial renovation recently, but only certain areas of the building were spruced up. It still has the old pink peeling paint and looks dirty even from the street. I am floored that other's have rated this place as acceptable, even higher. It's nothing more than a fancied up flea bag motel sitting in a large barren parking lot. There are other nicer motels a little farther down Hwy. 101 and I would recommend you stay at one of them. Especially if you have children. I have seen way too much foot traffic around that building of our local panderer's to know that I wouldn't feel safe or comfortable in this motel for 5 minutes.

Sure it's inexpensive....and there are reasons why.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo