“If you are going to the Wine & Seafood Festival”
Review of Motel 6 Newport

Motel 6 Newport
Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed February 25, 2013

You can see the festival tents from this motel. Be prepared to pay an extra $100 night on Friday and Saturday night because of the festival. WOW The room was not bad considering the price, but they need to vacuum under furniture (saw french fries under a table), and around the corners of the carpet. Everything needed to be dusted. I dusted the furniture before putting anything on them, and there was a bad smell in our room. The towels were so thin that I needed to use 2 of them just to dry off. 1 of our pillows was so flat that you would nott even know that you had a pillow. At least the sheets were clean as was the bathroom. I would not stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank outoftowners2

Reviewed February 24, 2013

We went during the Seafood and Wine Festival so the location was great and we thought it was worth the high prices for the concience. Wrong not only was it filthy,but the service was awful. Some people don't understand the term guest, customer or patron, I think since it was the festival they figure they were doing us a favor by allowing us the privlidge of staying at their poorly managed motel. I can handle a place that's old and even a little warn around the edges but this place is just plain very poorly maintained. When we had a problem with no hot water for the second time and called the front desk we were basically called liars when the manager appeared in the hallway stating the water was hot in a different room would I like to come see for myself? Rude rude rude. Certainly not the way to treat a guest or a customer. Well lesson learned, next year we will just pay the cab fare to stay at a nice hotel with good customer service that's a bit farther from the festival. Festival was fantastic by the way ;)

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank Travelblu
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Good location, and friendly desk help, but that's all that was good. The entire hotel smelled like B.O., the carpet was crunchy and dirty, the tub had a ring around it, the bathroom counter was falling off. Breakfast was only from 8-9, and they ran out before that. The coffee was good though. Oh, the couch and chairs in the room were very faded, and the couch had tears in it. I never sat on it because I was afraid of catching something! Free would have been too much to spend on this room. Would definitely never stay here again!!

Room Tip: Plan ahead so you can get a room in a different hotel than this one.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Dawn C
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I am not picky but.... The hotel was loacted close to where we were going so we thought it would be ok. I have a 22 month old. I called before to make sure they had cribs and was informed that yes, they did. When we got there I was told that they don't have cribs because it's a liability... next we went to our room. The halls smell of old stale not really sure but possibly smoke? The room on the other hand smelled of sewer. Once we closed the toilet lid and drain to the bathtub that seemed to go away. However, they have NO air conditioning and NO screens on the window but they do have wood bars. I have a little one so used the love seat to block the window which is also where my little one wound up sleeping. So needless to say the room was HOT all night long. They don't mention that they offer breakfast but... the breakfast they offer is coffee and muffins. When I went to drop off the keys I noticed that the counter person was cutting the muffins with his barehands on the back counter. Keep in mind there is NO A/C and this guy stunk of BO badly the day before and he's a smoker so I can only imagine what those muffins tasted like since there isn't a sink in there for him to wash his hands. The beds were hard and the pillows very lumpy and the front doors all slam (you can imagine what that's like at 2 am)! All in all if you are looking for a place to stay for the night it's fine (think Motel 6 minus the a/c). But keeping this in mind the Holiday Inn Express is right up the street and they were $30 more. BUT... I know they have cribs and their continental breakfast is decent. One last comment.... the advertise wifi... keep in mind that it is very intermittent. They kept having to reboot the server to get it to work. Also, they have VCR's in the room in case you have a little one that wants to bring their favorite movie. The backside of the hotel backs up to a camping area which isn't bad but remember no a/c or screens so if you can either deal with heat or flies....

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Debra J
Reviewed July 13, 2012

We would have rather slept in the car. This was terrible. If there were zero stars I would have given those out. Upon arrival, I wept. We spent the first hour of our vacation cleaning our own room because I didn't trust that having staff reclean it would be much better. There was scum in the shower. There was hair in the tub. There were damp, sticky, and crunchy spots on the carpet. The inch wide strips of carpet touching the walls were grey on otherwise greenish carpet from negligent vacuuming. There was something with the consistency of snot (snot may be wishful thinking....) Stuck to the nightstands. I wish I could say this room hadn't been cleaned but the linens smelled like soap and there were vacuum tracks. The woman at the front desk had specifically said that our timing was perfect as our room had just been cleaned. When I finally regained my composure I approached the woman for new towels ( as ours had been used to clean) and new pillowcases and she was what I like to call a "cee u next Tuesday": defensive, confrontational...you could have cut the sarcasm with a knife. This was awful. AWFULLLLLL! PLEASE DON'T STAY HERE. let's put these guys out of business.

• Stayed: July 2012
5  Thank epend
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Liked the location for our crabbing trip......closer to pier than the Holiday Inn Express where we were headed. Big mistake. Room is old and not web taken care of. Our balcony was over an rv in the rv park. Bathroom not clean. Towels look like rags, almost see through. They have vcr's in their room!!!!!! My 15 year old doesn't even know what a vcr looks like! Hello, it's 2012!!! Fire place was turned off for the summer even though it is freezing out! Worst continental breakfast EVER!!!!! Two kinds if store bought muffins cut in quarters!!!!! That was it. Coffee cups were so small it was pointless to get a cup to take to my room. From now on it is holiday inn express! Love their consistency!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Savvytraveller75
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I went their because of its location. It's with-in walking distance of the Rogue Brewery, the Hatfield Marine center and the Newport Aquarium. The location is the best for those things. Now onto the hotel room. It was spotless. The TV got lousy reception and kept going fuzzy. No biggie but I certainly expected better. The fridge worked great. The bed was hard. I mean hard as concrete. I felt like I was on a mortuary slab. Pillows were very soft. When I had to use the bathroom, turning on the light was an experience I havn't had since disco. The light was flashing on and off like a strobe light, for just 20 seconds or so. I experimented with it and after a few beers, it got entertaining. But THAT was short lived. At least it was predictable. The towels were scarecly better than 120 grit dry sand paper. For those of you who don't know what 120 is, it's twice as bad as 240. Either way, you don't want it againt your skin, especially the sensative areas. All in all I was let down by the experience. The staff was quite lathargic and didn't even bother asking me how my stay was. I would have nicely put it. They just said, you're all set. The teeny tiney pool was clean.

Room Tip: Rooms on the eastern side of the building are FAR quieter. Some rooms on the Northern face have a b...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo