“Old Fashioned Captain's Platter”
Review of Savory Cafe & Pizzeria - CLOSED

Savory Cafe & Pizzeria
Cuisines: American, Pizza, Healthy
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Wonderful, fresh, local ingredients, and made to order foods. We offer appetizers, salads, sandwiches, fish tacos, specialty dinners and the best pizza in town. Delivery available, Family Friendly, WiFi. Open 11-9 with live music Tues, Thur, Fri, and Saturday nights and Sunday day. Come on down for the BEST meal there is in Nye Beach.(541) 574-9365 526 NW Coast Street in Newport, Oregon.
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Offered sauteed or fried and chose fried. Nicely breaded, fresh seafood. Very friendly service
Too much to finish. Monster desserts. More like a roadhouse than a restaurant.

There are newer reviews for Savory Cafe & Pizzeria

Reviewed October 11, 2012

We actually found this restaurant by consulting Trip Advisor while vacationing in Newport, Oregon recently. What a superb find it turned out to be. The interior décor is kind of eclectic and very comfortable (small lounge equipped with sofas) and the staff make you feel right at home. There seems to be something for everyone on the menu with the choices ranging from a variety of pizzas to great sound oriental dishes. The menu can be found on their web page.

In the past, we’ve been hard pressed to find a good pizza restaurant in Newport, but not anymore. The Savory Café does take out and we enjoyed a great Cesar salad (lovely herbal tones on the dressing) and their meat pizza while sitting on our ocean front balcony at a nearby hotel. We were so impressed that we are eagerly looking forward to our next visit to Newport and a return visit to the Savory Café. Believe me, this one is just too good to miss.

NOTE: The Savory Cafe in located on Coast Street in the Nye Beach district, not on the Pacific Coast Highway as depicted on the TripAdvisor map.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

My wife and I were a little hesitant when coming upon this little stop in the Nye Beach District of Newport. But we were EXTREMELY happy with the decision to stop here for lunch. The service was quick, our pizzas were hot, and the taste was incredible. My wife had the greek and I went for the smoked salmon. Amazing taste, everyone that walked by (we ate outside) I was telling they were missing out on some incredible pizza. I know there have been some less than perfect reviews for some of their other dishes perhaps, but I did not see one reason I couldn't give this a perfect rating. Very well priced, plenty of choices, inside the decor looks like you stepped into an island surf shop. Very good service from our waitress. Look no further on the central coast for the perfect pizza!

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Newport's finest pizzaria, and best value restaurant. Entertainment for the entire family. Seperate section for sports bar and adults only. We couldn't wait to get hungry again to enjoy Savory's great food and fun. Service was friendly and courteous...We recommend everyone to visit. Right on the drag on Nye Beach.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

We tried this place after reading the mixed reviews on TA. The menu looked pretty good, thought prices were reasonable, and cafe interior looked pleasant.

The young lady who greeted us was very nice to inform us that the section we wanted to sit in would soon be a favorite of very young children in about 30-minutes as it was near the corner "play area", which I had not noticed. Everyone was super friendly and eager to please. Yes, some of the complaints of other reviewers are true. When my husband ordered a second Mai-Tai, the waitress hurried off without asking if I wanted another smoothie. But, she did ask me after she returned with his second drink. She would pop back and forth multiple times, but I chalk that up to needing some training. So, maybe they weren't the most efficient and ran back and forth more times than necessary, but I felt they genuinely tried hard and wanted to please - quite rare these days. We didn't meet the owners, just the two waitresses.

Regarding the food, well it is average, but they seem to use good quality ingredients. I ordered the Spicy Fish Tacos. We were going to share one order because it was too early for dinner and, much to our surprise, they came back with two full plates of rice and beans and a fish taco (one order comes with 2 fish tacos) for each of us - very generous and very thoughtful. Yes, the spicy fish tacos was pretty bland, but it was clean and fresh tasting, none of the heavily breaded and fried stuff. Another reviewer complained that the black beans were from a can. If the beans were from a can, it was a good quality brand because the beans were firm, not mushy and overly starchy. I liked them. The Mai Tai was good. The strawberry-banana smoothie was not as good. It tasted like it had strawberry syrup, couldn't taste any banana, and it was much too watery.

Overall, we thought it was good enough to return the next time we visit Newport.

1  Thank Urban_Ursine