“I would not waste my money on this RV park again...”

Whalers Rest RV & Camping Resort
“I would not waste my money on this RV park again...”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Made a reservation a month in advance and was advised by employee that they don't hold spots but there would be a good chance that I would be able to park next to a friend that was traveling with us. Upon arrival, we checked in and was told to drive through the park and find a spot. We drove around and around and was unable to find anything that would even come close to fitting our travel trailers with the slide outs as every spot was crammed next the the neighbor. We then went back to the booth and asked for a refund so we could find another location. They then advised us that we had to forfeit the first nights stay of $50 plus dollars. They then put us in a golf cart and drive us around showing us the two spots we had to use. We were able to get our travel trailers in them but could barely open the doors to go outside. I was then told by another neighbor that I better make sure that the water didn't drip or they would charge another $5.00 as he stated that they told him that their water bill was over $6,000.00 and month and they didn't want it wasted. I left the park two days later with a very sour taste in my mouth.

• Stayed July 2013
9 Thank Cop647

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We got a membership for Thousand Trails when we purchased our trailer so we have been going to as many of these parks as possible to determine if we will renew. We stayed at Whalers Rest for the week. They had lots of activities for the kids and the staff were very friendly. However, this is an older campground and it shows it. The sites are smaller (short and narrow) and with new trailers with slide outs, it was hard to find a site that would have some space. There was good space between most sites though. The roads are gravelled but are veery dusty and some sites run parallel to the road so it is very dusty. There was a pool but it needed to be upgraded (supposedly happening this fall.) There is wifi in the main building but not at the sites. Because it is outside of town, some cel coverage does not work. (Verizon and T Mobile. AT&T does work.) This place has good potential and like I said, the staff were great, but we probably wouldn't be back without some major upgrades.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Islandspud
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

The price is great and the amenities are endless. Indoor hottub, pool, and restrooms, showers, ping pong, pool table, Internet room, laundry, cable, puzzles, dog run, volley ball, basket ball, football, tennis, beach access, and I could go on and on. The RV space was on cement... Great 2 day stay!!

• Stayed May 2013
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Deluxe cabins were nice but bad soundproofing. Trailers were ok but toilet FLOODED our trailer. 100 was sandwiched in several trailers : ( Had to move at 11 pm. Awesome pool but dark and cavernous with a lame hot tub with no bubbles only jets.:-(
Nice tv area . Staff here nicer than any other tt. Check bill as they screw them up.

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank lovetheoutdoors6
Reviewed July 12, 2012

I feel like some of the workers felt power hungry and were very rude. I will not be back infact this experience makes me wonder why I own a camping membership when I feel like I'm bothering the staff.

• Stayed July 2012
9 Thank susanplus6
Fort Mohave
Reviewed July 29, 2011

This was my first time staying at this perticular Thousand Trails resort. I was impressed with the amenities and all the planned activities. Lots to do at the campground and lots of tourist attractions nearby. The Newport Aquarium was awesome, especially loved the jellyfish exhibit. The people running the campground were polite and very helpful. Having gated security allows me to feel safe and never have to worry about leaving my campsite unattended or my trailer locked up. I will definitely be returning next summer. Thanks Thousand Trails for making RVing affordable and so stress free for those of us who RV regularly or fulltime.

• Stayed July 2011
5 Thank yreka6054
Cottonwood, Arizona
Reviewed January 13, 2011

We came up to the northwest from Arizona has we do about every other year. We try to stay at some familiar RPI parks and new ones as well.

Whaler's Rest is a park we had not visited before. The location is decent, near some attractions on the Oregon Coast. However the campground was not very well maintained. The staff were alright but nothing over the top. Overall this park is decent but not as nice as others we have visited.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
9 Thank HundleyC1958
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
Best Western Agate Beach Inn
#4 of 24 in Newport
Hallmark Resort
Hallmark Resort
#2 of 24 in Newport

Been to Whalers Rest RV & Camping Resort? Share your experiences!