“Wonderful views, wonderful staff, needs a remodel”

Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Newport
Ranked #21 of 24 Hotels in Newport
Eugene, Oregon
“Wonderful views, wonderful staff, needs a remodel”
Reviewed August 25, 2010

I was in desperate need of a vacation, so I booked a hotel at the Shilo Inn website for this property. I wasn't necessarily disappointed, but I feel that for the money it wasn't a very good value.

First, the positives. This property has the friendliest hotel staff ever. Both at check-in and in the cafe I was treated warmly. Check-in was especially pleasant: I was having an issue with my credit card which required a phone call to my bank, and the front desk staff handled my needs while still ensuring that other guests were handled appropriately. A special thanks goes out to them, they even answered questions about nearby services available with accuracy.

I was equally impressed by the property's food services. Typically, hotel dining options are pricey and of limited selection. This property's cafe has wonderful choices, served by friendly staff. I also ordered room service from the cafe, and my breakfast was served hot and quickly by the same friendly waitress I had the day before in the cafe.

And the views. This property is right on the shoreline, with a wonderful beach view. Being nearly steps to a wonderful sandy stretch of Newport's beach is a huge plus.

Now, the negatives. Even with all the positives, I don't feel like it was worth the price I was charged. I know, I know, Summer in Newport is never cheap. However, I feel I was charged an upscale resort price for what amounted to a nice motel with good room service. The room's furnishings were definitely showing some heavy wear, for example: the refrigerator door wouldn't even close all the way because the furniture it was sitting on was slightly sagging. Also, the wifi service was so unreliable that I wound up just using my personal mobile hotspot for service.

For a $100/night room in such a wonderful location, I'd have no complaints. However, approaching $200/night after taxes with few amenities other than the view wasn't a very good value. Perhaps a remodel, or adding some resort-style features and this would be worth the price charged.. but a few-frills motel at this price just seems like a poor value.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
rmgscorpio, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Newport, responded to this review, August 28, 2010
Dear Feedlebom:

We are pleased that you chose our Newport Shilo for your recent vacation, and that you experienced our expert, friendly staff. They are always happy to give the best service across every department.

The impressive café choices that you enjoyed always bring people back. Our hotel is one of the few in town where you can get a delicious hot meal served in the comfort of your room, while enjoying the wondrous ocean view.

We apologize that the furnishings in your room did not meet your expectations. Updating our vast facilities is an ongoing, continual process that we work hard at. In addition, our wireless internet service has been upgraded so that on your return visit you can enjoy a speedy and reliable connection wherever you are located in the hotel.

Thank you for taking a moment to give us your constructive feedback. We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Randy – Hotel Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Portland, OR
Reviewed August 16, 2010

The view was everything I had hoped for....even had spotlights to view the ocean at night.

The room needed some updating. The bathroom was awful....the wallpaper looked like it was a million years old and there was some mold issues in there.

But....the view WAS nice. So, I gave this an average rating given that the view made up for the bathroom and the price was about average from what I could tell for an oceanfront room.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
rmgscorpio, Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Newport, responded to this review, August 24, 2010
Sambas2,

Thank you for choosing our Shilo Inn at Newport on your recent visit to the coast. We appreciate you taking the time to express your observations of our hotel.

Few things are as memorable and spectacular as the ocean view from our hotel and we are pleased to be able to offer a night time view of the ocean with our spotlights, and we are happy that that element of your stay was immensely pleasing.

We strive for excellence with regards to room quality, and we apologize for any imperfections that were present in your room. We will review with the housekeeping department ways to prevent any condition like that mentioned in the future.

You are our valued guest, and we look forward to your return visit.

Randy – Hotel Management.
Sweet Home, Oregon
Reviewed August 14, 2010

I understand the concept of jacking prices on the weekends during summer, but at nearly $200 a night for a single king is not worth the price. It is an older hotel and my wife and I have stayed at much nicer beach front hotels in the area for nearly half the cost. The veiw was good considering we were on the ground floor and had to look over the top of cars in the parking lot. The rooms were average clean with the exception of the mold on the ceiling in the bathroom.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mikejohn88

Travelers are raving about these Newport hotels

Bentonville, AR
Reviewed July 21, 2010

We have stayed in Newport numerous times. This was the BEST oceanfront room for the price. Great location, friendly staff, reasonably priced, quiet, large room size, and had great new beds.

Only complaint would be the price on weekends is jacked up so high. Try it--it has been refurbished and is a super location. We wanted to go north and south up and down the 101, and this served us very well.

Tip: must try Georgie's Restaurant for meals. It is a short walk, 2 blocks from Shiloh, and we have found it to be the BEST place to eat everytime we visit.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Enumclaw, Washington
Reviewed July 14, 2010

Would be a much better fan of this hotel if it had air conditining. The hotel is OK, location is good, staff is nice. But if you're planning a trip in the summer, be prepared for HOT rooms. There's no AC and if the weather is over 70, you'll be spending hot evenings in the sun drenched room. A few bucks spent on some AC for this hotel would make it much better. Other than the AC, a fair price for a fair hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, OH
Reviewed July 14, 2010

Overview:
The Shilo Inn is ideally located on the beach with large rooms and free wi-fi. The hotel definitely shows its age, though it does have a few updates. One warning: No A/C or good ventilation means it is definitely not a good a good choice for very warm weather.

Rooms:
I requested and received a no-pets, non-smoking room. The rooms are large, with kitchenettes and large bay windows overlooking the ocean (great views). There is no air conditioning, and the windows do not really open (only two 4"x12" slots), so even though it was only 77 degrees, the sun made the room very warm. The little windows have no screens.

I had a room that was "updated" (building D), which meant the bathroom was newer, and some of the fixtures were newer. Overall, the room still felt very dated, with the old-fashioned key entry, the old TV, carpets, kitchenette, etc.

Facilities: I went to the restaurant/lounge on the first floor of building "D" for a drink. It also felt straight out of the 70's, but the view was nice.

There was only one elevator in the building, and it was pretty slow. Parking in the garage under the building was free, though low-riding cars might have a problem with the steep incline.

There was a pool, but I did not check it out.

Location:
The Shilo Inn is right on the beach. Newport has some interesting little restaurants around the Nye Beach Market area, but they are about 1/2 mile away. Likewise for the restaurants on Yaquina Bay. So, plan on a 10-15 minute walk or a very short drive.

Value:
I received a last-minute "manager special" for $109 for a single night. For a large, dated room right on the beach, this is fine. However, if it was any warmer, I would definitely have wanted a place with either a balcony (for ventilation) or air conditioning.

• Stayed July 2010
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2010

well we arrived here after staying at seahorse ocean front in lincoln city which was really lovely and reasonable priced.....
The guy at reception here quoted a very high price nearly more than double the we paid last night at the seahorse, when we said it was too high he asked what we paid the previous night and then quoted a price which was nearly half the original price so we were happy as we were getting another sea view and when we got to the room it was almost identical to the seahorse one last night so we felt that we got good value again....guy behind desk very helpful and we went to harbor area and ate at mo's which seems a good choice, although there are many others that look fine, but we managed to get a table at mo's annex otherwise we would have tried another restaurant it wasnt a problem, but mo's did seem to be the most trendy and crowded, and it was really, really lovely, we have been away 7 weeks now and it was the best meal we have had in that time, the chowder is wonderful and the fish, and blueberry and lemon cheesecake was just to die for....we also saw sealions at the harbour which where so funny to watch, the very best i have ever seen, and also a fishing boat came in with loadsa halibut probably weighing around 20lbs and it was a treat to watch the ladies filleting it, we have had a lovely time here, lovely walking along the beach, families lighting fires in the evening for sunset and toasting marshmallows,and our room looks out onto the sea and its just blissful so all good, but you need to be aware of what you are ready to pay out for the room.....

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple