I was in desperate need of a vacation, so I booked a hotel at the Shilo Inn website for this property. I wasn't necessarily disappointed, but I feel that for the money it wasn't a very good value.
First, the positives. This property has the friendliest hotel staff ever. Both at check-in and in the cafe I was treated warmly. Check-in was especially pleasant: I was having an issue with my credit card which required a phone call to my bank, and the front desk staff handled my needs while still ensuring that other guests were handled appropriately. A special thanks goes out to them, they even answered questions about nearby services available with accuracy.
I was equally impressed by the property's food services. Typically, hotel dining options are pricey and of limited selection. This property's cafe has wonderful choices, served by friendly staff. I also ordered room service from the cafe, and my breakfast was served hot and quickly by the same friendly waitress I had the day before in the cafe.
And the views. This property is right on the shoreline, with a wonderful beach view. Being nearly steps to a wonderful sandy stretch of Newport's beach is a huge plus.
Now, the negatives. Even with all the positives, I don't feel like it was worth the price I was charged. I know, I know, Summer in Newport is never cheap. However, I feel I was charged an upscale resort price for what amounted to a nice motel with good room service. The room's furnishings were definitely showing some heavy wear, for example: the refrigerator door wouldn't even close all the way because the furniture it was sitting on was slightly sagging. Also, the wifi service was so unreliable that I wound up just using my personal mobile hotspot for service.
For a $100/night room in such a wonderful location, I'd have no complaints. However, approaching $200/night after taxes with few amenities other than the view wasn't a very good value. Perhaps a remodel, or adding some resort-style features and this would be worth the price charged.. but a few-frills motel at this price just seems like a poor value.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Begin your Oregon Coast excursion with a stay at the full service Shilo Inn Suites Oceanfront Hotel in Newport. This ocean front hotel features 179 beautifully appointed guestrooms, each with a spectacular view of the Pacific Ocean, south jetty and to the north, the Yaquina Head Lighthouse. Children 17 and under always stay free with an adult at Shilo Inns. Dogs welcome with nominal fee. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotwire, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Newport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shilo Inn Hotel Oceanfront
- Shilo Inn Newport
- Newport Shilo Inn
- Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Newport Oregon