“Wonderful seaview, great restaurant.”

Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Newport
Ranked #21 of 24 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed September 11, 2013

This wonderful gem greeted us (with very good discount vouchers for the restaurant), after a long drive from Washington State. Our room looked out onto the ocean and the long sandy beach, who needs a TV with this to look at? With a window seat in the restaurant and the glorious sun setting above the sea with waves gently rolling onto the long sandy beach - this was a little piece of heaven. Breakfast was in separate building next door, and, was wonderful. The service in the hotel and both restaurants was very good. It was a short walk to Nye Beach from the hotel. The port of Newport is well worth a visit too. It is a lively working port. The seals like to lounge on the pontoons. The shops are eclectic, with a good range to suit everyone.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room, though most have them anyway.
5  Thank CastellNeddWales
Shilo I, Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Newport, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Dear CastellNeddWales,

I truly appreciated your kind and detailed feedback on your recent stay with us at the Newport Shilo Inn. It sounds like you were able to enjoy all of the great amenities here at our property and the natural surrounding beauty. I completely agree that this is a little piece of heaven with the majestic crashing waves and rolling sandy beaches. I am happy you enjoyed our restaurants as well and had the opportunity to explore the town of Newport.

There are newer reviews for Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Newport

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Very tired property. Peeling paint, outdated furniture and beds. Lights not working, lamp not working, ice machine broken. Wow, I remember when this was a very good place to stay. Probably my 10th time here but maybe my last. Great location but sadly past its prime. Sorry Mark!

Dear 47Jack99,

I would like to personally offer my apologies for these items you have mentioned in your valuable feedback and I assure you these matters are being address. Your patronage is very much appreciated and we will do our best to place a proactive plan on ensuring these items are better dealt with in the future. Thank you again for your loyalty to Shilo and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

This trip with my husband was a long time coming & the doctors said I HAD to have a nice relaxing time away from work. We got to the Shilo & after looking at the rooms as others had suggested, asked about the room with the big balcony that we could see. That room & apparently another available balcony suite are not on any reservation site that we had seen - I guess you have to know the 'secret' & ask for availability & price. IT IS WELL WORTH IT!! The one we were in was fantastic plus!! 2 bedrooms & 2 baths, a full galley kitchen, huge sliding glass doors going onto the most wonderfully big balcony. The big suite we were in would easily sleep 6 people & so it was a true luxury & splurge for the 2 of us. The staff was super friendly, cleaned the rooms beautifully, & Mike the manager, is a great guy to work with - altho once we were in the room we did not need anything. I could spend the rest of my life on that balcony!!!
If I were to say anything negative & picky at all, it would be that it would have been nice, for the money that the suite costs, to have a reserved parking place & a better level of paper products than the standard Shilo rooms. We will have to start saving again for our next trip to Shilo Inn's Newport big suite!!

Room Tip: Ask for availability of the balcony suites & negotiate your price!
3  Thank rrothwell
Shilo I, Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Newport, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Dear rrothwell,

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us here at the Newport Shilo Inn and have the opportunity to enjoy the luxurious Presidential Suite. I certainly agree that the suite balcony is a great place to relax and soak up the beautiful Oregon Coastline. Thank you for offering your suggestions and I will have those items reviewed for possible installment. It was very nice meeting you and we look forward to having you return in the future as our guests.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

The toilet plugged up. They sent someone up right away, which was good, unplugged the toilet, but the next time we used it, it plugged up again. Both times if we would have not turned the water valve off the toilet would have flooded the bathroom, which would have made for a nasty mess. I guess it could happen anywhere, but no apology or discount for future stays was offered. While I am complaining, we also had breakfast at the hotel which not so great. The scrambled eggs and toast were lukewarm at best, and the eggs were overdone. On the plus side, the room was very clean, and the view was nice, looking out over the beautiful Oregon coast shoreline.

Room Tip: Don't go on a busy holiday weekend when the rates are higher and the crowds are bigger.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank George H

Dear SportsterRider,

I am truly sorry to hear about your experience with the plumbing and have been working with my maintenance team to resolve this issue in that room. Please feel free to contact me directly and I will be happy to work with you personally on making any future arrangements you may need. I do appreciate your feedback and remarks on our housekeeping and beautiful views from the hotel.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed here a couple of weeks ago because I was working at the hospital and brought my dogs to enjoy the beach. I was taking them out in the morning and the minute we walked out the door we were attacked by a very large, very aggressive racoon. It immediately went after my dogs and me. It was very traumatic as I was screaming for help and no one came. I had to kick it many times while it was swinging my dog with his claws. My dogs were fighting back hard. It finally left and my dogs were beaten and bloody and I needed to drive to Corvallis to take them to a vet.
The walk outside the room was littered with trash and cig butts so I think the trash brought the raccoon. The desk person was no help. No security or camera either.
I drove my dogs to the vet and luckily they had nothing broken but took several hours to patch up.
I called the manager and although he was pleasant he was reluctant to warn anyone about the racoon. It easily could have been a small child that was attacked. He refused to take any responsibility so I called the corporate office and filed a claim and then was turned down because I didn't stop and take pictures of the trash around the room because I was rushing to get back to the valley.
After the insurance company denies me I went back to corporate and have either been ignored or I might get a rude response.
My vet bills are almost $2000.00 and I lost a couple days of work as I injured my back kicking so hard.
So I am stuck paying everything plus my dogs are still traumatized. I even offered to split the bill and nothing! The Shilo will leave you in a bind if you have an incident on their property and they don't care that animals and little kids are in danger when they stay there.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Ljames347
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I needed to go to Newport for a couple days and since I've had such nice stays at Shilo's around Oregon I decided to stay there. I was told my room had a view and that was an understatement. I was on the 3rd floor and the view of the ocean was great.

The staff was helpful at all times. Parking was right next to the elevator which is wonderful when you have a severe walking disability.

My room was clean and fresh. I'll be staying here whenever I go to Newport from now on.

Room Tip: Rooms in the 'Tower" have great views of the Ocean.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night because of the view. Rates on Expedia stated rooms were $110. When we checked in we were told, rather condescendingly, that the rooms would be $160-$175 total with taxes and fees. Realize that oceanfront views are expensive but after we had been there two hours and the fog rolled in and we couldn't even see the beach( not the management's fault) we were then faced with spending the evening in a very outdated room with a 15year old TV with snowy reception and a very hard bed. Needless to say, we went for pizza and beer and headed on down the road the next day.

• Stayed: August 2013