“Started out great, ended not so great”

Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Newport
Ranked #21 of 24 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed August 21, 2013

The 2 rooms had great ocean views, check in reception was terrific, but the 2nd day services were not so great. We begged for dry towels, for the trash to be emptied, for toilet paper, for the bed to be changed, and received an unfeeling "sorry" when we checked out and voiced our issues.

1  Thank dixiedriscoll
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Newport, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Dear dixiedriscoll,

My goal is to provide all of our guests with an enjoyable and relaxing visit throughout their entire stay and I am truly sorry this did not occur. Offering this information is very appreciated and valuable for us to improve on our efforts. I will certainly inform my reception team that they did a “terrific” job and for them to keep delivery exception guest service.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

We arrived in Newport with no reservations, 2 young boys who wanted to swim, and a husband who wanted a view of the ocean. We were very pleased with our stay at the Shilo Inn. We were able to get an ocean front room with the indoor pool and restaurant right downstairs. The hotel is a little outdated and no air conditioners, but it is the Oregon Coast and rarely is it above 70 degrees. Our fan was broken in our room and when I took it to the desk they said someone would be right up with another one. Within 10 minutes the maintenance man had brought us a huge fan that worked great. The restaurant was very good and we received coupons when we checked in for dinner that night and breakfast in the morning. They had two indoor pools, one that is only 3 feet deep in the entire pool. This was a bonus for us as our young boys (7 & 8) are not great swimmers. We can not wait to stay at the Shilo again when we come to Newport!

1  Thank Rachel W

Dear Rachel W,

I am delighted to hear about your great experience at the Newport Shilo Inn and that we were able to take care of your family during your stay. Having the options of 2 pools is a great amenity for active families during their stay and the restaurant onsite is a perfect way to wind down the evening with your family. We are excited to have your family stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed at the Shilo for MANY years. We have always been in building A in the past, but were in D this trip. It took a long time to get checked in, and then when we finally were, one of our rooms was occupied! After walking back to the office and a 15 minute wait, we were switched to a different room away from the rest of our party. Rooms were ok, but hot, no AC and we could barely open windows due to a "Jerry-rigged" board obstructing the window. Toilet didn't work at first flush and the hall smelled a bit like urine. The location is excellent with a great view, but I am sad to say that after all of these years as loyal patrons we probably won't be back.

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear Kph9,

I am truly sorry that you had to wait for an extensive period of time upon checking into the hotel. Regarding this matter I will make sure to review my front desk staffing schedule to more appropriately service our guests. Please note that due to regulations for safety concerns the windows are limited from fully opening and additional inserts have been installed for this reason. Please contact the property directly in the future and we will prioritize your requests.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Booked this through Travelocity and would have left if had not already paid the last night.
We booked an extra large room with an ocean view. It was as described and a large room with two queen beds, a couple of comfy chairs around a small table, a desk with chair, and refrigerator (very small) and microwave. The room was a bit musty but almost everything on the Oregon coast is.
First issue was the cleanliness of the bathroom. Existing mildew on in the tile in the shower was pretty ugly. The black mildew/mold was heavily in the grout and especially at the wall tub junction. Pretty nasty. The area behind the toilet was disgusting. Yellow mat of accumulated yuck was about the size of a dinner plate. Lastly, the use of glass drinking glasses is always problematic especially when how the housekeeping staff may clean them. The lipstick residues on one of the cups was not attractive.
Second issue was that we were the victim of a theft of a Kindle. This was in a locked room and sitting in plain sight. We were gone for about two hours and on the way out had asked housekeeping for two additional coffee packets AND no other service. The most concern we had about this was the response of the management when informed of the theft. “It is not our responsibility” was the mantra that all used. The police officer that took our theft report was even startled by this claim. Behind a locked door (real key not card) there should be some security. It should be noted that we literally “tossed” the room in our search for the device. We found significant cleanliness issues with the room during this process. Crackers under the bed and who knows what at the head of the bead along the wall – at least one French fry and a whole lot of disgusting other stuff was found.
The swimming pools were okay although not very clean with slightly hazy water.
While an ideal location, this facility raises some significant concerns and we will not stay in another Shilo.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
1  Thank gussohn
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Newport, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Dear gussohn,

I am sorry to hear about your experience and certainly appreciate you providing your feedback. I will personally look into the suggestions you have made and address them accordingly with the appropriate personnel.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

This was a great location to spend the day on the beach. The rooms overlook the ocean although there is no outdoor patio space. We were able to walk over to the historic Nye beach area of town to look in shops and eat dinner.

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear jennfred,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your positive feedback on the experiences you enjoyed during your stay here at the Oceanfront Newport Shilo Inn. I am happy to hear that you found our location to be great and were able to explore some of the many unique areas here in Newport. We appreciate your stay with us and look forward to having you join us again in the future.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

our stay was so bad I don't know where tom start The restaurant(Room service) was awful, very ery expensive and poor quality The room was small very hot no AC Maid service non poor maid did not bother clean bed not neatly made left our wet towels hanging in the bathroom and didn't bother to leave clean ones the beach 95 to 100 steps down a steep cliff to reach the beach the management when I called to report the poor maid service desk clerk said it was probably our fault When I talked to the manager he said the person I talked to had no customer service skills and he would use this as training problem with her never addressed the poor maid service This place sucks I will never stay at another Shilo the whole chain is going down hill and this just more proff

Room Tip: stay away from this property
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Newport, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Dear jIM H,

I am sorry to hear about your experience and certainly appreciate you providing your feedback. I will personally look into the suggestions you have made and address them accordingly. We hope you can take the opportunity again to stay with us in our dog friendly rooms.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

On May 25th 2013 we booked a room here for our wedding night and though we live in Newport we wanted a place to stay other than home.
We reserved our room in advance and had checked in on the 25th and though we were early for check in because our wedding was at 3:30 in the afternoon we were assured that there would be a room for us when we returned so we left our luggage there at the desk for our return when the day was complete.
Upon arrival we were told that our room had not been booked and that there were no rooms available and that Shilo was going to look for another place for us to stay for the night and it being memorial weekend there were no places available and we ended up going back home....
Thanks Shilo
I don't ever plan on looking at a Shilo again for a place to stay

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lester S

Dear Lester S,

I personally want to apologize to you regarding the matter of your room over the Memorial Day weekend and the confusion that occurred in regards to your reservation. There must have been some miscommunication on our end as I do remember holding your bags until after your ceremony. I truly am sorry and if given the opportunity would be happy to set up a special evening for you and your new family.