“Aging Property but Good Views” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Newport

Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Newport
Ranked #21 of 24 Hotels in Newport
Springfield, Oregon
“Aging Property but Good Views”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

As a last minute booking on a holiday weekend we did get a killer view room but it is in need of much updating and maintenance. The room and liens were clean, but no regular coffee, wallpaper in bathroom breaking loose, stains on chair cushions, exterior paint and trim work necessary. One of two room keys received did not work, when addressed with staff, new key was cut from non working key... when asked staff of recommendations for dining, they only recommended their own onsite dining. Lounge had great views even in the dark as flood lights shine toward waves. Pricey drinks but pool table and video poker available. We would stay again as there is a very nice stretch of beach with access right on the property.

Room Tip: None of the rooms have balcony but most rooms have ocean view. Older room buildings are A and B bui...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Troy-Keryn
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Newport, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Judy,

Thank you for taking your time to provide your feedback on your stay at the Newport Shilo Inns. Having the beach access directly from the hotel is certainly a nice option to enjoy that incredible beach. I am happy you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to seeing you again.

Mike Willock

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Woodland, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

If you like rusty mini blinds, stained carpet, cracks /holes in the drywall and a broken mini fridge this may be the place for you. Our visit was mid-week, low season when the maintenance should be sprucing up for the busy season.
Nope, the dark carpet had sand build up along the edges, guess housekeeping doesn't know how to use vacuum attachments? We had to rent two separate handicap rooms because they dont have handicap suites?
The handicap bars in the bathroom were nice but the shower bench was too low to comfortably get up without assistance. ADA toilets are required to be a certain height, why would you buy cheap short shower benches and endanger your guests...oh yes, must be the money!
I will say, the front desk manager was very nice and discounted our rooms from list but his great service cant make up for the beat up facilities!
The bed and linens where excellent. And the quality of the toiletries was upscale. A huge stain on the hall carpet was seen there over a month ago by someone in our party. Not a spot, we're talking the kind that looks like a bad bloody injury or vomit fest happened, that an over achieving housekeeper used the wrong chemical to attempt to clean.
Really, I am a glass half full person! The view was as always...Stellar. Unobstructed by other buildings, flat with lots of seagull noises. It is not the rough rock view of Seaside or Cannon Beach, but nice calming wave and plenty of ship traffic to watch.

Good thing, because you are gonna need to spend your time overlooking the inside!

Room Tip: There are night lights that illuminate the south end of the motel. So if you want to leave the windo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Humanpopbead
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Newport, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Humanpopbead,

I certainly appreciate your feedback on your recent stay in Newport Oregon. As a guest I value your remarks and have taken action on some of the items you have refereed to. In addition to the ADA rooms we offer our guests, I will personally look into the idea of providing a handicap suite as you have suggested. We certainly value you as a guest and hope you will come stay with us again in the future to enjoy the stellar views.

Eugene, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Kind of becoming our May get away at least once a year ! We decided to get away before my girlfriends knee replacement in may. Wasn't too impressed with room we got this time ! was on main floor just few door's down from lobby. Room was in need of an update ! missing patche's of carpet. booked king room for two. Was real hot ! high 80's to low 90's ! no screen's on window's and no AC ! was a box fan so we kept window's open during day and fan going heat was turned off ! only to come back in evening to find mosquito's had got in because no screen's on window's. Also was above where people with dog's were I guess so every morning was awakened by dog's barking just before 7 which wouldn't have been so bad but because we had no air had to keep window's open all the time ! In the past had stayed in the newer part of hotel and took elevator up. Even got bumped to a king suite one time which was about three time's the size of this room ! Wasn't aware when we booked that May 4th was loyalty day and prade shut down Highway 101 both way's from 11 to after 2:30 so we had to ask around to get special instruction's on how to avoid getting tied up in traffic ! plus had to get up earlier than would have liked so we could get out of town before parade began. When we did get back to Newport all the power was out in the entire town including hotel ! so everyone was in car's with AC on to try and stay cool . Also all traffic lights were out so we decided to stay extra day at full rate just to try and get some rest , which was cut short due to dog's barking and guess there was motorcycle's in parade as they all started up bike's early loud pipe's woke us up ! and we weren't able to get parking place by our room which would have been ok except my girlfriend has handicap parking permit for upcoming surgery. All in all we arrived Thursday may 3rd 2013 through Friday 4th stayed extra day to try and get rest we didn't get from first night Saturday May 5th 2013 checked out May 6th Sunday 2013. Really like Shilo and have alway's been happy with stay's up until this last stay ! wish we would have known about loyalty days and that we were in old part of Hotel really was disappointing for what we have come to expect from all our other stays at Shilo inn at newport

Room Tip: Room's on North side are much more up todate and quiter.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Newport, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear blazer1820,

To begin I would like to offer my appreciation for your repeat business here at the Shilo Inn Suites in Newport Oregon. I truly understand the value of our loyal guests and I certainly will use your feedback as a tool to work on updates you have suggested. Currently I am working with my team to ensure all windows have their screens in place and are functioning correctly. Again I thank you for your continued visits and I look forward to exceeding your expectations on your next visit.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

After reading reviews I was very concerned when my husband told me he booked a room. You couldn't ask for a better view and the room was much more than I expected. It is an older hotel but it looks like they have freshly painted and papered the rooms. It was clean and had all the amenities that we needed. They are in the process of renovating parts of the hotel so they are caring for the property. I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Innohurry
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Newport, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear Innohurry,

Thank you for staying with us at the Shilo Inn Suites in Newport Oregon during your most recent trip to the beautiful central coast. I am happy that you enjoyed your room with the great views, many amenities and recent renovations. We look forward to you staying with us again in the future.

Salem, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

My husband and I booked a room here for a last minute get away and booked a king size room. We had never stayed here before, but since we were able to get a king room with an ocean view for just over $100 after taxes, I couldn't pass it up. When we checked in, the front desk staff were really friendly, helpful, and had great customer service skills; something you don't see at every hotel on the coast. Our room was in the B building, which seemed a bit older but compared to other locations we have stayed at in both Newport and Lincoln City, it seemed comparable. The room itself was a bit dated; old small television, the carpet was worn, but overall seemed fairly clean. The one real complaint I would have is the bed linens were a bit scratchy and so I had a little trouble going to sleep because my skin was itchy, but my husband didn't seem to notice. I was also worried that the mattress was a little firm and was going to be too hard to sleep on or I would wake up sore, but that didn't seem to be the case. It also seemed a bit odd that the guest book that you always find in hotels listed a number for room service, but there was no menu to be found, or the hours that it was available.
A big plus is that the hotel had one of the best showers; it was not only tall enough for my husband but had the most amazing water pressure.
Overall, it was a wonderful mini vacation at a hotel that we would be happy to stay at again.
Overall, we would definately stay here again.

Room Tip: Breakfast at the cafe on site was perfect, quick and delicious and not any more expensive than you w...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear gerilyne,

Thank you for offering your great insights to your mini vacation here at the Shilo Inn Suites in Newport Oregon. We are always delighted to hear about the enjoyable experiences that our guests encounter on their visit with us. I do appreciate your input regarding some of the items in your room and I will certainly take that into consideration. We are happy to hear that you will stay with us again in the future and we look forward to your next vacation at the Shilo Inn Newport.

Port Orchard, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

My brothers funeral was held on Sat the 20th of April. We have many family members that traveled from out of state and we all decided to stay at the Shilo. My room was paid in advance on the 17th. Upon checking the account I used for this trip I found they had charged an additional 177.50 from that account which put it in overdraft. When I notified the hotel they were rude and very unhelpful. I had to go through my bank and hours on the phone to straighten this out. The Shilo has yet to even apologize for making an extremely difficult time even more stressful. My entire family has agreed we would never stay there again as there were other issues as well...unclean rooms.poor service in the lounge and restaraunt etc.

Room Tip: The Best Western in Agate Beach is an awesome place to stay a little more expensive but well worh it...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank nancy t
Dear nancy t,

It is valuable to receive your feedback regarding your recent stay with us on the Oregon coast. I personally must apologize for the error created on our end in regards to the additional charges that occurred during your trip. I understand that you and your family were here during a difficult time and you should have received nothing but incredible service. I will make sure to discuss your review with my team to help us improve on handling certain matter more professionally. If you find yourself in Newport at our hotel again, please contact me directly and I will make sure your stay is a memorable one.

Mike Willock

Travelers are raving about these Newport hotels

Bend, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here because we had pets. The first night we were sandwiched between two very loud guests (this party was traveling together) that we actually had to ask to move from the front area of our door, they were outside smoking and were extremely loud at 12:00am... I think since the rest of the building was empty the booking staff could have spread out the quests better. Other than that the rooms are old & need a refresh. We travel a lot and are used to motel's with different levels of expectations but this being a Shilo I guess I expected more for the money. We were in building A.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank nukswife
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Newport, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear nukswife,

I certainly appreciate your feedback regarding your stay with us here on the central Oregon coast. We are happy to provide some of our guests with the enjoyable option of bringing dogs to the coast during their family getaways. I must extend my apologies regarding the behavior of some of other guests staying in the pet friendly rooms. I will personally make sure to take your recommendations into consideration when reviewing the property. Thank you again for choosing Shilo Inns and your business is always appreciated.