“Great view but not much else”

Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Newport
Ranked #21 of 24 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Check in was painfully slow, the clerk was easily distracted by a ringing phone and other co-workers. Room was large, but carpet was old and had a large folded crease running the length of the room which could easily be a safety issue. Towels were on a rack inside the shower which was just bizarre. Great view as it is right on the ocean. With 4 buildings, hopefully the other rooms are better quality, and maybe we just got an older and shabbier room.

2  Thank CanadianCalgary_AB

Reviewed August 21, 2012

My wife and I just spent two days at the Shilo Inn in Newport Oregon, the first return in a few years. Boy, what a difference time makes. Shilo used to be known for quality. Sadly this is not the case in the Newport facility.
Our room featured wallpaper which had peeled and been haphazardly repaired, a rusty heat grate, no A/C. worn and shabby furniture, and as an added bonus a plugged toilet when we arrived! We called to get someone to clear the "present" left by the previous tenants and were told someone would be "right there". Apparently our understanding of "right there" differed from the staff as after twenty minutes we called again ans asked if we could just come get a plunger as were wanting to prepare for dinner. The time frame changed to "just a minute", which in Shilo speak apparently means ten real world minutes.
Undaunted, we went to the restaurant to eat. We were greeted by a humid hot space with obviously jury rigged de-humiderfiers hacked into the ductwork, and an empty desk. There were about 6-8 miserable looking diners in attendance, and after waiting for about five minutes for someone to show up we decided to wander away. Glad we did as we discovered Georgie's in the neighboring Hallmark resort and had a fabulous meal. Sadly, Shilo's star has dimmed.

1  Thank laysan306
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed at the Shilo Inn Suites in Newport on August 17th. This hotel was not worthy of the $236 I spent. Although the rooms had newer carpet and bedspreads, we were not impressed with this hotel at all.

Our room was very small, with paper thin walls, and I found dust on the microwave and the TV (large, box style). The beds are very low to the ground, are not comfortable, and the sheets were very rough. One of our beds had a chest hair in the sheets while the other had a sticky candy substance on it. Our bathroom shower curtain was moldy and there was something red (blood?) on the wall. I found the carpet to be frayed by the door which is a hazard as someone could trip and fall. I noted ripped wallpaper and our window wouldn't open more than two inches. The window screen was also broken. There is no hot tub at this establishment and our room had no balcony or patio.

We will return to the Hallmark Inn and the Elizabeth Street Inn for future stays. Both hotels are wonderful ... Finer establishments, wonderful rooms, and great ammenities. I would suggest either to anyone wanting a wonderful stay in Newport!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank SerenityRoo
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We saw that reviews were not great, but not having made reservations in advance were excited that the only room available was a deluxe oceanfront. Disappointment began in the hallway, which was dirty with trash and sand. The room appeared okay...large enough for sure, but the view of the ocean was partially blocked by the tar roof of the restaurant below us. Additionally, we couldn't enjoy the cool ocean breezes as there were 2 very small sliding windows under the huge fixed picture window, but the sliders were too small to provide ventilation or even sounds of the surf. This alone wouldn't have been too bad except the room had no air conditioning at all....only heat. The whole family was hot sleeping all night, even with the very dirty fan they provided going.

The bathroom looked fine, but the drain was slow, so showers were ankle deep. One of the towels in our room had a dinner-sized pink stain on it, and the hair dryer was broken.

I definitely would not return, and will know to plan better next trip to the coast!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Giving this property a one circle is an over rating! We were on vacation in Newport Oregon and thought we’d give Shilo Inn a try, big mistake! We travel with our dog and checked into a “pet friendly room” for which we paid an extra $25 for the privilege. We were told by the front desk staff; that I won’t name because she has just started and was probably told to say that the pool nearest to our room was open until 11pm. Upon entering our room we were overcome by the overwhelming smell of pet urine, I guess that $25 charge doesn’t go to carpet cleaning! Wanted to open the windows to get some fresh air into the room to clear out the smell of urine, but alas the window was rigged to only allow it to open 2 inches!
Went to the car to get some of our gear and stopped by the pool stated to be open until 11pm. Looking thru the locked glass door, the pool was half full and a sign which seemed to be professionally and permanently installed stated that the pool was “temporarily closed for repairs” really? Open until 11pm? But wait, they have two pools, the other really small pool was in another building loaded with screaming children and clearly marked at 3 feet depth, you’d be better off doing laps in the bath tub!
This was not our idea of a vacation at an oceanfront hotel in Newport Oregon! Our motto is, “it just takes a little more to go first class”; so I called the Hallmark Resort Newport just down the way and spoke with a great front desk person named Kit. I told her I was sitting in a room at the Shilo Inn and none too pleased. I asked if they had any pet friendly rooms and she did have a room and held it for us! It was forty dollars more per night, but what a difference! Large room, balcony, 2 flat screen TV’s, spa in the room, fireplace and more, they even dropped off a pet amenity basket with treats, towels, a Frisbee and a convertible water bottle for our dog, wow it was like night and day.
We quickly checked out of Shilo Inn and were told that we had a zero balance and there would be no charges. Upon returning home, I went online to check my account and low and behold, the Shilo Inn had charged my card not only the $329.30 for what would have been our stay, but they charged $356.93 two days later, where and why they came up with that figure was beyond me!!! So we were charged almost $700.00 for not staying at the Shilo Inn!!! Quickly, I called my bank and was connected to their Fraud Department, who could see the charge for our stay at the Hallmark Resort and reversed the Shilo Inn charges. I was encouraged to cancel the card to avoid anymore charges which I did.
Now I know good old Randy Getman the manager of Shilo will reply with some sort of “spin” such as it must have gone through in error or it was the night manager’s fault, come on! We were charged some made up figure ($356.93) when we weren’t even there two days later! I mean really, he said in an earlier reply to a post that it was the “treasures of the sea” that made the rooms smell so bad, really? Randy should run for a political office, he would fit right in with all the other pandering politicians!

6  Thank Sara_by_the_Sea
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Newport, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Dear Dear Sara_by_the-Sea,

Please accept our apologies for not meeting your expectations in terms of guest room and amenities. We always enjoy having the family dog come along, and we’ve allocated a special section of the property just for their enjoyment.

We also regret any miscommunication regarding which pool was available for use at the time. We were able to have the larger pool filled and ready for use by the following morning, but our apologies for any inconvenience.

With regards to your erroneous billing, we are looking into how that could have occurred, and will enact measures to ensure that anything like that does not take place in the future. I can assure you that there was no attempt to defraud anyone, and that the measures you took were unnecessary.

Again, we are sincere in our apologies and hope that you could return in the future and give us an opportunity to demonstrate the service that we are truly capable of.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful, our reserved room was not available, so w were upgraded to a large suite. The only thing that I did not like very much was the entrance/exit to the parking garage. But aside from that every this else was great, especially the ocean view.

• Stayed: August 2012

Dear navyvet57,

Thank you for submitting your comments about our Shilo Inns Suites in Newport, Oregon.
Year after year, our signature Shilo Service keeps folks coming back and we certainly hope that you will return soon for the same experience. We are pleased to be one of only a few hotels in Newport to offer such fabulous ocean views. It doesn’t get any more oceanfront than this!
Please feel free to book again at Newport and we will make sure that your next guest experience is every bit as good as your last. Also, as a navy vet be sure to ask for our veteran rates which apply at all Shilo Inns properties.

Reviewed August 17, 2012

We looked all over for a hotel to stay at and this hotel happened to have one room available. I snagged it up. It was a reasonable rate with and amazing ocean front view. All the amenities were great but what really impressed me was the customer service. Upon checking in the front desk lady was very friendly, informative, and professional informing me of all the amenities and even letting me know about happy hour at their lounge. After I checked out the next morning and drove home I thought I had lost my GPS. I immediately called the hotel to check and see if I left it there by mistake. I later found it buried in my luggage but forgot to call and let them know that I found it. 2 weeks later I got a call back letting me know they weren't able to find it but checking to make sure I had found it. This, to me, is going above and beyond what they had to do.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Dear Braden Y,

Dear guest,

Thank you for your rave review of our accommodations and service. I will share this at our weekly meeting and let our staff know their efforts were recognized.

We are happy that you were able to locate your GPS device, and that you had an exceptional experience at our Shilo Inn Suites in Newport. Our pleasant weather often stretches into October, so hopefully you will have the chance for another memorable coastal getaway soon.
For reservations: 800-222-2244.