“Warm room resolved, I enjoyed it”

Elizabeth Street Inn
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Newport
USA
“Warm room resolved, I enjoyed it”
Reviewed November 3, 2011

A previous reviewer mentioned the issue of the room being warm. I also encountered this upon first entry, but the problem was solved and mentioned to the front desk. They now have a solution for future guests who happen to find the rooms warm.

The hotel was recently renovated to nice effect, including gas fire places added to [i assume] most rooms. The pilot light on these fireplaces is very large, nearly the size of a gas stove/range burner. The pilot light alone heats the room when the balcony door is closed, as you would do after a guest moves out and the room is cleaned. This happens even if the fireplace is "off."

I noticed these details and asked if they could turn off the pilot, or quench the gas flow. They were going to send their onsite maintenance person to do so, but he was called away to another task offsite. Initially I opened the balcony door to let in the cool October sea air [wonderful!] -- this mitigated the heat somewhat.

Then I took a look at the fireplace a little more closely. I quickly discovered that it is really simple to turn off the pilot light by popping open the bottom decorative hinged panel and operating the control, which is exactly like those used on gas water heaters.

Problem solved! As I say, the front desk now knows about this, and so hopefully won't require their official maintenance personnel to go to rooms that some consider warm. It is a very simple thing to do.

Of course, with the typical cool weather at the NW Oregon coast, you may really like the room to be warm. To each their own in this case.

The hotel has a good location, and yes, the sea views, ocean air, and sound of the Pacific are magical. I slept so well.

In this example I was in town for the Newport Jazz Festival, occurring just a 4 minute walk up Elizabeth Street to the Performing Arts Center. It was a fabulous festival, including performances by Monty Alexander -- a great pianist one owes it to themselves to check out.

Back to the hotel -- checkin was quick; staff were very helpful. Parking is ample and partially sheltered. The chowder and cookies, as someone else mentioned, are a nice touch in case you're feeling a bit peckish by end of day after a long oceanside walk, or tour of the Oregon Coast Acquarium (http://http://aquarium.org/).

Someone else mentioned the slow elevator in the hotel. I only ever used it when first going upstairs with bags, and when leaving going down with bags. Otherwise I take the stairs whenever I can and did so on this occasion. I realise some may not have the stairs option, but the elevator isn't overly slow in my humble opinion. I would guess you're on holiday, so slowing down is ok, yeah?

I found it another nice touch that they had a dedicated breakfast room / lounge. Breakfast is more than a cold continental, including waffles and other yummies, with the usual suspects of cereal, rolls/pastries/bagels/croissants, etc.

The hotel WiFi functioned just fine. Although it wasn't fast enough that you would want to download a large file, email, surfing, youtube, facebook, twitter -- these uses were all perfectly fine in my room on the fourth floor. I was roughly in the middle of the building, a tad south of the centrally located elevator.

I detected no issues in the room with odors, as it was a tightly regulated non-smoking room in my case. Pets, if you have them, are also restricted to dedicated rooms. Having some allergies in this area, I had a non-smoking room.

Someone mentioned the couch in the room being a bit tired; in my case the couch was fine.

Also, the rooms are pretty large. I paced mine off, and came up with a rough figure of a bit under 450 square feet (41m^2). This is quite spacious in my estimation.

The bathroom area had the toilet and shower in one room with user-selectable fan/evacuation switch, and then outside this room, adjacent to the main body of the room, two separate sinks with amenities, and a huge mirror behind the sinks.

Other amenities included a quarter sized fridge, a microwave oven that I used to revive leftovers at one point, and a basic coffee+tea service including small 4cup kettle (coffee pot to USA'ers).

I had been to this hotel before and enjoyed it, so I suppose I was predisposed to like it. I did come away with the fondness I had felt earlier reinforced, especially because of the nice renovations that had been done since my last visit.

All in all, though it is the location that makes it work. When you drive into town and bridge the crest of the hill that allows you to see the beach and the ocean thrashing away, with the smell of sea spray in the air, you know you have arrived and things will be kewl.

I hope you have a chance to visit. There are other hotel options on the same beach so you should compare prices if this is something that drives your decision. I, however, will continue to stay at the Elizabeth Street Inn whenever duty calls to visit Newport, Oregon.

Room Tip: top floor is best in my opinion. no foot trodding from above [not that this is a real problem]
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank Brent G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Finnish first
Oregon
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We had two rooms for a single night mid-October. The rooms were spacious and comfortable and the views are amazing. We didn't sample the cookies or chowder but they are certainly a nice touch. The breakfast looked substantial & well looked after. e would certainly visit again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
Reviewed October 19, 2011

Bonafides: I work in the airline business so have seen a lot of hotels over the last thirty years.

We were very pleased with the room, very spacious and we had a two queen room. No complaints about the decore. Couch seemed a little tired. Bed was fine. The elevator is very slow, but so what? We stayed in mid Oct. The temp that day was a pleasent 75 degrees. Yes, the room was warm, inexplicably, except that the room faces west into the setting sun. We left the slider open a few inches all night and were comfortable. In the summer it could be a problem. There is just no airflow unless you leave your door open and open a window in the hall, it might help while you are in your room.

Breakfast was better than some but not great. Industrial eggs, yeech! Sausage and biscuits and gravy not bad. Cereal is cereal, oatmeal is instant.

Staff was fine and recommended a fine dining restaurant within walking distance.
I would stay there again in cool weather.

Room Tip: They all face the ocean.
1 Thank K M
Suzhou, China
Reviewed October 17, 2011

I really enjoyed sitting in the hotel room and looking at the beach and the ocean right next to us. The location of the hotel is wonderful. We went walking on the beach and them swimming in the nice, warm pool! Kids loved the cookies served every night at 8 p.m. in the lobby. There is a wonderful Italian restaurant within walking distance (in a bookshop). We had a very good stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Lela232, General Manager at Elizabeth Street Inn, responded to this review, October 26, 2011
Nice to hear you had such a wonderful stay with us! We are so lucky to have such a great setting for our Hotel with every room getting virtually the same perspective and panoramic view. We will pass on your rave review to Green Gables, the Italian restaurant you mentioned.
Hope to see you again soon.

Best regards,

Roseburg, Oregon
Reviewed October 10, 2011

NO COMPLAINTS HERE! The people on here putting anything less than 5 stars is "TOO PICKY" and looking for something to complain about! We have stayed in many hotels and this exceeded our expectations! The bed was VERY comfy and they put 4 pillows on it for extra comfort. Large flatscreen tv, granite counters, tile floors a gorgeous view (and there are chairs for the balcony in the closet) fireplace and breakfast was awesome all three mornings we were there. Warm cookies and chowder in the evenings were a very nice extra touch! Staff was VERY friendly and helpful and we will definitely make it our place to stay when we return.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind words! As we all know it is hard to please everyone, but we still hate to see a review that is less than perfect. We really strive to "exceed expectations" like we did with the two of you. Thanks again for noticing all of the extra amenities we offer and for acknowledging the staff.

Look forward to seeing you next time you visit Newport!

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed October 8, 2011

The Good: Nice location and View, Friendly Staff, Clean, Fresh Hot Cookies at night, Seafood soup in the afternoon & within walking distance to Georgie's Restaurant. (See Review)
The Bad: Bed & Pillows not the best, Elevator sucks (Use the Stairs), Price & Breakfast is not the best one we've encountered.
Other thoughts, they could put a couple of chairs on the balcony so you could sit and enjoy the view, the gas fireplace in the room is a nice touch but too warm in the room to enjoy it even with the temperature turned way down. Otherwise having not stayed in other Newport Hotels I can not say how it ranks with the others in the area.

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean, if you have trouble with stairs pick a lower floor room.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
We regret not exceeding your expectations when you visited us. Yes, the elevator gets a lot of use so it does occassionally take awhile to arrive. Not sure exactly when you stayed, but it looks as though it may have been within the time frame that we had a bus tour in and that could certainly explain any wait time you may have encountered.

I am surprised to hear you were not pleased with the bed, as we generally get very good comments about them. If you could contact me and let me know the room number you were in I could certainly check the bed to see if there is a problem. We will be replacing the pillows and linens in the rooms soon.

It is unfortunate that you did not notice the two deck chairs located in the closet of your room. We know how much our guests enjoy sitting and watching the sunset and view so we provide those in every room along with a small table for drinks, etc.

Do hope you will try us again,

Eastern
Reviewed September 29, 2011

My husband and I enjoyed our four nights at the Elizabeth Street Inn, despite the warm room, the dark, tired decor and the poor breakfast, which are documented accurately by a previous reviewer. To their negatives, I would have to add terrible pillows and an elevator that didn't work one day. However, the room is spacious, the staff at the front desk were warm and helpful, and the view was wonderful! Yes, we saw whales from our balcony and slept with the sound of surf. Complimentary chowder and cookies are a nice touch. And judging from other places we stayed on the coast, this hotel was good value.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
We apologize for the elevator not working one of the days you were with us. Unfortunately, it was one of those situations that could not be avoided. The technician worked on the elevator most of the day and finally got it running that afternoon. (One never knows when a circuit board might go out and parts are usually several hours away, as was the case in this instance.) We never want to see our guests inconvenienced, so this was a very distressing situation for all involved.

There have been a lot of whale sightings of late. A pod resides in the area and it is not unusual to spot them from the Hotel balconies, or while strolling on the beach.

Hope you and your husband can return soon, maybe for some stormwatching!