“Two hours of abuse and threaths from staff at this hotel turn long weekend into nightmare!”

Best Western Newberg Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Newberg
Richmond, Canada
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Three weeks ago, I did a reservation through my agency and specified a non-smoking room. I got a written confirmation for a non-smoking room for three nights. After driving for almost 8 hours, we were given an smoking room. I thought it was an honest mistake so i went to speak to the front desk attendant.

She looked and said smoking room was all she had available for us. I am allergic to cigarette and did not want to spend one more minute with the strong smell. i specified I booked a non-smoking room ONCE again.

She said she could give me one night in a non-smoking, but tomorrow, she was going to ask me to leave the hotel or stay with the smokers section. I refused to stay in an smoking room. She basically said "well, that's your problem and if you don't like it, we'll remove your belongings from the room".

I asked her to try to correct. She insisted if i didn't check out tomorrow, she'll forcely remove all my belongings and check me out.

I called the central reservation centre and they said that wasn't their problem. They offered me to sleep in a smoking room... or leave if i wasn't unhappy. She repeated: "that's your problem, not mine. "

They were abusive and threatening, disrispectful. I don't recommend anyone to stay here. I called my agency and they sent the hotel the written confirmation to prove our request for a non-smoking.

Best Western said for me to file a complain and stop bothering... this is not their problem. They did not honor reservations and they mixed the information and bullied us when we wanted them to correct it for good.

Never had any issues with a hotel like this... the lady at the front-desk made us feel horrible, threatened like in a horror movie.

Red Lions, Holiday Inn.. name it... never had any hotel threatening to throw my staff out after i had a written confirmation.

Seems is not the first time they give smoking room to non-smokers... other complains in this site mention how they impose this health hazard to their guests.

Having so many hotels in this area, I would highly recommend you seek a different option, unless you can afford and would be able to handle the stress of your hotel throwing your belonging away...

What an stressful and scary situation.

Room Tip: make sure you call ahead and ask for a non-smoking room otherwise they may give it to you. Like it o...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Kat R
38135, General Manager at Best Western Newberg Inn, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
On behalf of best western I apologize for inconvenience during your stay at best western newberg inn.

The reservation was online reservation made by you for smoking room and as the hotel was full on weekend upon your arrival when you requested for non smoking room we were not able to change the resrevation to nonsmoking room through out the stay. We have apologized to you during your stay and always best western international did on our behalf after researching your reservation and found out that you had reserved smoking room for your stay.

Once again we apologized for the inconvenience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Vancouver
Reviewed August 28, 2012 via mobile

We booked through Hotwire planning for shopping spree to the outlets in Woodburn not knowing what we were going to get and loved the hotel. Friendly staff, super clean, nice bed linens and comfy beds and pillows. The kids loved the pool and it was clean as well. ( not something we can say about all the pools we've seen on this trip). Wifi worked great only thing though is only one device at a time so my wife and I had to take turns to log in with our phones.

Breakfast, a self-served cafeteria style was decent. Waffle machine was great.
All well rested and ready for a day of shopping!

Also highly recommend the Ohana Buffet restaurant nearby.

• Stayed August 2012
oregon
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I was surprised by some of the other reviews - my family and I found this place very comfy and clean. Very nice for a one-night stay passing thru. The continental breakfast was pretty decent in my opinion - they actually offered hot food such as fresh-made waffles (delicious) and basic scrambled eggs etc. Saved us a $40 breakfast out, so I found it a good value. Staff was helpful to all our needs and we had a restful night. Would stay again - I have stayed in the Shilo and liked this experience much better.

Room Tip: If traffic noise bothers you, ask for a room closer to the parking lot (it's in the rear)
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Seattle
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Efficient and friendly check-in. Room was quite and clean. AC worked great on a recent 100 degree day. Pool and spa were nice. I liked the breakfast as it saved time and money from going somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Manchester, NH
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Good - great housekeeping in the room; good mattress; quiet room; microwave and refrigerator; ok but not super water pressure in the shower.
Bad - not so good housekeeping in the hallways and everywhere else; windows to the pool were filthy; breakfast area was miserable and depressing facing an outside wall with nothing in the room to make it charming or inviting; food was awful; front desk area lacks any comfort and is depressing looking; no elevators; staff are weird; view from room overlooked a liquor store and motion lights went on and off all night.

• Stayed June 2012
, Manager at Best Western Newberg Inn, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
On behalf of our best western trip i apologize for not exceeding your expectations during your stay at our property. We strive for superior customer care and service, however it seems we failed in delivery you the same.

We will really appreicate if you will give us another chance as during your stay last time our property was undergoing some renovations in guest room. We will be done with project soon and we take pride in mainitaining our property to the best.

Regarding breakfast room we will work with decor to make it more pleasing.

Thank you for the suggestions and will appreciate if you will give us chance and stay with in near future.

Shalini Patel
503-537-3000
Rockwell, North Carolina
Reviewed June 8, 2012

This hotel is fairly clean and reasonably priced, but there are some major problems. The least of which is the internet access. The internet is slow when it works and times out about every ten minutes on a bad day and every twenty on a good one. Uploading or downloading files or PowerPoint presentations requires great patience and you can forget about streaming movies or playing video games online. There is a public computer and printer, but, as I was printing off a presentation for the following day, the printer ran out of paper. Luckily, the perfectly nice young man at the front desk didn't have anymore paper for the printer, but did look up a Walgreen's which was very close by. So I had to drive to Walgreen's and buy the paper for a public printer myself. The decor is outdated and the TVs in the suites are located directly in front of a dividing wall making it difficult to watch TV from the couch or the bed. The comforters are also extremely thin. Good water pressure though!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
38135, General Manager at Best Western Newberg Inn, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
I am extremely sorry about your internet experiance at our hotel. We are working on the wireless system with frontier and this week the project will be done. However we do have hard wire internet connection in all our rooms. Sorry you had to go through such a hassel and hope you will give us another chance with updated wireless facility.

Once again i apologize for not exceeding your expectation. If i can be of any assistanc please feel free to call us at 503-537-3000.

Sincerely
Shalini Patel
Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed May 19, 2012

No complaints here. The man who checked us in was friendly and helpful. There are two floors to hotel. They have a swimming pool and hot tub, open until 11pm. The beds were comfortable and the pillows fluffy. The hotel backs up very close to private residences. They had nice back yards, but it was awkward to see that out the window. Not a big deal though, since we were only there to sleep. Breakfast had make your own waffles, biscuits, gravy, assorted breads, cereals, etc. Nothing to brag about but it was nice to have and a good value considering the hotel price. Will be trying Shilo Inn next time, just to compare. So check my review in late August.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newberg
Holiday Inn Express Newberg - Wine Country
Comfort Inn & Suites McMinnville
Best Western Wilsonville Inn & Suites
Best Western Plus Northwind Inn & Suites
McMenamins Hotel Oregon
McMenamins Hotel Oregon
#2 of 6 in McMinnville
GuestHouse Vineyard Inn McMinnville

Been to Best Western Newberg Inn? Share your experiences!