“Great wines, great visit w the owner” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Utopia Vineyard

Utopia Vineyard
Ranked #4 of 53 things to do in Newberg
More attraction details
Owner description: Utopia Vineyard is a family owned producer of small-lot, handcrafted, estate wines, with a special emphasis on world-class Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. It sits within the Ribbon Ridge AVA (American Viticultural Area), one of the most prestigious winegrowing areas in the Willamette Valley.
Portland, Oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great wines, great visit w the owner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2012

Because we live in Portland, we get to visit Willamette Valley Wineries often. Utopia is small, only 1,000 cases per year, but very well made Pinot Noir. Even better, you get to meet and chat with the owner/winemaker, Dan, who can answer any and all your questions, including the 11 different clones of Pinot he's planted, how long he cold soaks the grapes, the type of oak used, etc. Informative, fun and tasty.

Visited March 2012
1 Thank StumptownSteve

Chicago
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Most memorable visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2012

We spent over an hour at Utopia talking with the Dan, the winemaker/owner. We learned about how he came to winemaking and his history with the vineyard. It was so interesting to learn how he came to Oregon and started the vineyard. This type of visit is why people travel to vineyards - to learn and share.

Visited January 2012
2 Thank Fensters
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Avoid Utopia Winery at ALL COSTS”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2011

The Willamette Valley is beautiful. If you love Pinot Noir you will love visiting the wineries. If you are not a huge Pinot Noir fan, you might not love the wine but the vineyards are gorgeous and the people charming. However, Utopia Winery was a disastrous experience. I enjoyed the tasting room and even ordered wine from them which I had shipped to my mother since I live abroad. Not only did Utopia send the wrong order but they harassed my mother while she was on vacation, constantly calling her to demand that she send it back right away. This of course was impossible since she was not at home at the time. The Utopia representative was incredibly rude to her, never once apologized for mixing up the orders, many times yelled at her for being unable to do what they demanded, never thanked her for the extra trouble she had to go through to correct their mistake. After a date was agreed upon for the wrong shipment to be picked up and for my original shipment to be delivered, Utopia failed to live up to their end. I still have not received my wine which at this point I would prefer to cancel but do not want to have to talk to the rude representatives. As I am only in the U.S. for a short period I fear it won't arrive before I leave and am worried about the condition it will be in as they wanted us to leave the package to be returned outside all day in the sun for pickup.

Visited June 2011
12 Thank diplobecky
willamettedan, Owner at Utopia Vineyard, responded to this review, December 21, 2013
When I first read this review I was sorry to hear about the customer's bad experience with the wine shipment. I wish that I would have known about it so I could have helped rectify the situation, but, I was never contacted by the customer or spoke to her again after she left my tasting room. Like all wineries Utopia uses common carriers to deliver our wine and once we give the wine shipment to the shipper it is out of our hands and we must rely on the shipper to deliver the correct package to the correct customer. Most of the time they do an outstanding job but occasionally (as in all businesses) mistakes do happen. In spite of the fact that the customer herself stated in her review that she enjoyed the experience in the tasting room and the wine enough to order some I regret that the shipper did not fulfill the order correctly and that that detracted from her overall experience with Utopia.