“Sub Terra: an all-around amazing experience”

Subterra - A Wine Cellar Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 85 Restaurants in Newberg
Cuisines: American, Bar, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Affordable fine dining at it best in an amazingly ambient cellar venue in the Willamette Valley wine country. The menu reflects a patchwork of complex, bold flavors pieced together from varied cuisines, brought together with classical technique. Open daily for lunch from 11:30 a.M. To 5:00 p.M, and dinner daily from 5:00 p.M. To 9:00 p.M. Extensive local and global wine and beer list, classic cocktails, small plates, happy hour weekdays from 3 to 6 with food and drink specials.
Mountain View, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Sub Terra: an all-around amazing experience”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

This was our first trip to the area, mixing business with pleasure. Hats off to their webmaster as we would have never gone had it not been for their beautiful, inviting web site.
We landed in Portland flying in from California and stopped for lunch. Sub Terra, housed in a lovely wine cellar, was beautiful and authentic as promised from the web site. Our lunch...pulled pork for my husband and a cuban sandwich for me, was just what we would have wanted; so satisfying, we made our way back that night (as an extra incentive Monday night was 50% off any bottle of wine). Our meal was amazing, so much so we went back the next night! I had a seared scallop entree with an incredible side dish of brussel sprout slaw. I commented to my husband, "If anyone can make brussel sprouts taste this good, I have to have the recipe!"
Believe it or not we went back for the third time the next night and had a wonderful seafood paella-like dish; we were not disappointed. Our last night we sheepishly said we needed to branch out; we are getting a little obssevive, so we ate at another restaurant in Dundee. Afterward, we both agreed we should have gone back to Sub Terra! On our way to the airport the next day we stopped just one more time for a lunch on the fly...our favorite cuban sandwich. The staff was so wonderful and accomodating and went to work fixing if for us in a flash. Again, another wonderful meal !

Our experience was so memorable that I called Sub Terra when I returned home to see if I could get the chef's recipe for his brussel sprout slaw so I could serve it for Thanksgiving. Chef Martin was happy to oblige.

Bottom line: This is a new, up and coming restaurant with all the criteria of being THE outstanding restaurant in the area: a wonderful, romantic setting in a beautiful wine cellar; outstanding, personal service; and food that is lovingly and tastefully prepared and presented. Chef Martin is a chef yet to be discovered. My only concern is if we happen to be in the area again, we will have difficulty obtaining reservations because of its popularity!
Susan Torode

Las Vegas
“Another terrific place in wine country, OR”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Not much of a view. I like to get the negative things out first, so there it is. Of course, the name itself implies that Subterra is under ground, which it is, for the most part. I also was not too fond of the halibut being served with a Pinot reduction; the combination worked, but I enjoyed it more sans sauce. The food was very good as was the service. Hooray! The chef does not use sugar to gloss up the savory food. The meals come with soup AND salad, so the mains can be over-filling at this point (so much good food!) The menu changes regularly, but I recommend the savory chicken soup and the short ribs.

Subterra is quite and romantic, so please leave any screaming brats in the parking lot. The key things to note are that the Happy Hour food deals are exceptional and they offer most bottles at half-price on Mondays. The wine list could use some help in the BTG area, but there is a decent selection of local and international bottles, including a lovely Saumur bubbly for the great oysters if you overlook the one (unknown-to-me) Champagne on the list.

Good enough for 3 visits on an 8 day trip (2 for long Happy Hours), bypassing returns to several other favorite places, like Tina’s. And I'll be back!

Finally, I’d like to say that if you are a big, strong, tough guy, come embarrass yourself by challenging Brandon to arm wrestle!

5 Thank hoohoolian
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Good food - confused service”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Very good value, decent sized entrees and all come with soup and salad (hard to add an appetizer unless you've been staved for a couple weeks). 1/2 prices on wines featuring local NW wines is a nice plus. Noticed several diners who appeared to be local winery owners or growers partaking in the selections. Only drawback was the service - appeared that the service staff needs training, no good division of duties so service may be a bit slow at times. Open on Monday nights.

Visited September 2012
Newberg, Oregon
“Bananas Foster, who knew?”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

My only other time ordering bananas foster for dessert was at the home of its birth at Brennan's in New Orleans. Who knew we could find it, tasting as good or better, at Subterra in Newberg. Try it, you will love it.

Merritt Island, FL
“WISH SERVICE WAS BETTER”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

After waiting over 2 hours for our food, we had to leave. We had a "small salad" and an appetizer which were really good. We were looking forward to the meal but just couldn't wait any longer. It's a shame because it was a birthday which was ruined.

Visited October 2012