1,709 results
All reviewsjory restaurantwine countrywillamette valleywindow seatwine tastingfiltered waterbath saltsbeautiful propertycomplimentary snackspinot noirsteam roomfour seasonssoaking tubgas fireplaceturn down servicelarge bathroomfitness center
Reviewed August 25, 2017

It was an amazing and very relaxing short getaway for my in laws 50th wedding anniversary. We had a blast and we enjoyed our stay at the Allison Inn and Spa that we are going back next year for another relaxing getaway.

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled with family
Reviewed August 24, 2017

The facility was excellent, the staff was the best we have ever had the pleasure of pampering us. The spa is outstanding and the food and service at Jorys is exceptional. We were there for three nights and the service and food was outstanding. We had thought of making reservations at other restaurants in the area but enjoyed the food enough that we ate only at Jorys. Diner was exceptional I believe due to the excellent server, Aunalisa, that made our experience outstanding. Would recommend the Allison that is looking for a 1st class experience in Oregon's wine country.

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2017

Was welcomed and made from the start to feel pampered and welcome. The staff worked to get us into our room early which we appreciated. The room and bathroom are lovely, however the actual bed was not as luxurious as the overall Inn and Spa. That is my only reservation about the place - they should upgrade their mattresses!

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 23, 2017

My husband and I, along with 2 other couples, traveled to Oregon to see the total solar eclipse this past weekend. We spent 1 night at The Nines in Portland before heading to the Willamette Valley for 2 nights at The Allison Inn & Spa--much closer to the eclipse totality zone.

The Allison has a clean, modern hard product, with great facilities, great accommodations, and all the bells and whistles. Yet we encountered numerous and stupid service shortcomings that shocked us for such a well regarded property.

We also found the property design, while modern and comfortable, to lack character or any sense of place. It could have been anywhere.

Our service issues were numerous:

Service was troubling on many occasions, but the management response and service recovery were pitiful. That is unquestionably the biggest weakness for this property.

(1) The first service miss was at check-in when they informed us that we all had rooms together on the 4th floor. One couple of friends learned later that they were on the 3rd floor for no given reason. When pressed, they lied. Not impressive. We all heard them.

I then asked the hotel to offer them something to make up for the miss--drinks at the bar, a free massage, something. They never did. They did much later try to offer them a 4th floor room, but by then our friends had unpacked and weren't willing to move. The hotel could've handled this better.

(2) The biggest service miss was housekeeping. We departed for our eclipse event (arranged through the hotel concierge) at 6:30 am and returned around 2:30 pm--to discover that our rooms hadn't been cleaned. (Not one of our three rooms had been cleaned, we later realized.) I was apoplectic. I called to complain and was told housekeeping would be there immediately. After 30 minutes and no housekeeping, I spoke with the Director of Rooms. Suddenly, housekeeping appeared. I was as shocked by the Director's cavalier attitude towards the service miss, in fact. I told him so, and he refunded us $100 and sent us a bottle of nice wine as an apology.

(3) Bar service was tragically slow. It was blatantly obvious that the bar was seriously understaffed. Our server actually was fabulous (I made sure to compliment her to the bar manager and GM later), but she was working too many tables and also obviously helping with restaurant duties. In 75 minutes, I barely had 2 drinks. I had to complained to the bar manager--who only then tried to help her.

(4) Breakfast on our final morning was problematic from the start. First, we were told it would take 15 minutes to seat us at 9:30 am...despite there being literally 12 empty tables for 4 persons and another few tables for 2 persons. Then after finally being seated, breakfast took 30 minutes to be served to us after ordering. Not impressive at all.

(5) At check out, our friends tried to get the same $100 refund for the lack of housekeeping that we received. (Keep in mind that they didn't get housekeeping service until almost 4:30-5:00 pm!) The manager declined...but said he'd be happy to split our $100 among all three rooms. I was flabbergasted.

Other than our Jory dinner serving team and the one server at the bar, we really had no impressive service experiences. But we had those many service fails.

I ended up introducing myself to the GM on our final day and explained our disappointment in the service shortcomings we'd experienced. He said he was aware of the and apologized again. But nothing more. Hardly impressive and certainly not worthy of 5 stars.

In my opinion, the hotel does not function well when it's full. The hotel not only was short staffed and thereby delivering poor service, but it responded poorly when those shortcomings were mentioned. Service starts from the top, and the GM here clearly does not run a good service operation. His attitude showcased why everyone's service was lacking, and his disinterest in any service recovery was galling.

Dining was mixed, with a very good dinner experience at Jory and a very lackluster breakfast at Jory the next morning. This followed a solid early morning breakfast buffer on the morning of the eclipse.

Basically, it seems the hotel has all the bells and whistles but didn't invest in staff or service for the sold out eclipse weekend. That is a serious management fail. The hotel didn't deliver a 5 star service product but still charged 5 star prices. That is a serious fail on any level.

Overall, we enjoyed the accommodations and facilities, as well as its proximity to the wineries and eclipse totality zone. My husband and all of our friends also used the spa and said it was great--they all really enjoyed their massages.

But the service was a total letdown...and the food/beverage other than dinner was disappointing. We are sure this is because of poor management in allowing staffing shortages. If you're going to charge upwards of $400-600 and more, you need to deliver on service. The hotel didn't deliver.

We also felt the property lacked any sense of place; it had no particular character and could have been anywhere. Even the art had no connection to Oregon or the Pacific Northwest. That was very disappointing, especially at this price point.

If we had to be back in the Willamette Valley, we'd consider returning to the Allison--but try to make sure it was not a high demand time. Otherwise, we would not choose to return because of its poor service and management's inability and disinterest in any reasonable service recovery.

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled with friends
9  Thank BillR2390
Reviewed August 23, 2017

If you find yourself in Newberg Oregon you would be hard-pressed to find a better location to stay then the Alison Inn and Spa. We were up here for the total eclipse and we couldn't have picked a nicer place to stay. Everybody was wonderful, the Jory restaurant was superb, and it added to what was already going to be a magnificent experience. We rented two rooms, were not disappointed, and will be back.

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled with family