“Worth a journey.....in a word, "Fabulous."”
Review of Allison Inn & Spa

and 1 more site!
Allison Inn & Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Newberg
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Southern California
“Worth a journey.....in a word, "Fabulous."”
Reviewed September 22, 2009

This new hotel/spa is simply wonderful. Friendly and helpful staff in a hotel that has been lovingly built with care to detail. The rooms are huge with large windows overlooking beautifully landscaped grounds. My husband was awestruck by the use of beautiful wood throughout. The food was great - obviously a master chef at the helm. We didn't use the spa (did splash in the shallow pool though and the atmosphere was serene and inviting). I can't overstate how wonderful this place is and just hope they don't change a thing! We'd not planned to spend more than one night in the area but readily signed on for two more after one look at our room and the public areas.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lynettelemon
HHotelConsult, The Allison Inn & Spa's Online Concierge at Allison Inn & Spa, responded to this review, November 13, 2009
Cheers and good day!

It is quite exciting to finally start with TripAdvisor and see so many happy experiences. What's more... the fact that you took the time to share yours is of great help, and we truly appreciate it. We also appreciate the concise review - it explains our entire package succinctly and enthusiastically. Again... thank you!

You highlight some of the architecture, and we really appreciate you noticing it. A lot of fantastic people went into the design and build of it, and we are thrilled to be able to share it with you, and finally see it finished! We encourage everyone to enjoy the experience of learning the hotel!

As far as not changing anything... the only thing we hope to alter is the face of Willamette Valley, and open it up to a world audience. We are incredibly lucky to be in Newberg, and the Valley. Sometimes rooms are only as good as the view, and ours is one of the most beautiful views in the world. We love our little hamlet, and can't wait to share it with more people. With kind & informative reviews such as yours... we will!

Thank you again. I hope this finds you well, and please feel free to contact me in regards to any questions or thoughts! You can find us on most of the modern social sites, or just find me at : michael at theallison dot com. I am happy to help with anything, and we hope to see you soon!

Michael H.
Online Concierge
The Allison Inn & Spa!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
Oklahoma
Reviewed September 9, 2009

In 2 words: First Class. That sums up our stay at the Allison. And let me say right now, I am in no way affiliated with the inn... in fact I'm from Oklahoma and wanted to take a trip to the Willamette Valley with my husband for a relaxing wine tasting vacation.

I have to admit I was a little apprehensive when booking the Allison. Since it was brand new, there were no reviews out about it, not many pictures, and a lot of hype. Wine Spectator had a nice article about it - but again, there were no "real" people to tell me their perception. But the moment we walked in, I knew I made the right choice. There were several bellmen who helped us unload our car and they were there at all times to greet us - whether we were leaving or coming. And here comes the true test of the hotel: how would they handle it when a problem arose? We discovered the "problem" after we went to our room - which was fabulous. We booked the standard room and I thought for sure there had been a mistake - it looked like a suite. When you walk in there's a fireplace which turns on with a flip of the switch, there's a mini fridge perfect for chilling down a bottle of pinot gris, the bed had a down comforter which made it incredibly comfortable, and probably the neatest feature was the bathroom "wall". The wall between the bathroom and bedroom slid open - so you could take a leisurely soak in the tub, while watching the fire - or tv on the plasma screen. The room had a balcony with 2 chairs. Our view overlooked the vineyard - which was the prettiest. But the "problem" came when we turned on the tv. Because the hotel had opened the day we checked in, our tv wasn't set up yet. It really wasn't that big of a deal, but when we called the front desk to let them know about it, they immediately responded. We were about to leave for dinner and they told us to check back in with the front desk when we got back. We did just that and were given a new room key... to their 4th floor Suite! The bellman had moved our bags to the new room. It was beautiful. It was very similar to the original room, but bigger. It had a separate sitting area and 2 sofas on each side of the fireplace - big enough for each of us to fall asleep on! The only thing I liked better about the SMALLER room was the retractable wall and the view. This time our view was towards the valley, which was still nice... and the space made us feel right at home. But the room service reminded me we were far from home! Twice we ordered room service for breakfast. One day we ordered the basket of pastries and scones and coffee and we sat on the front balcony enjoying it. The second day we ordered the oatmeal - and it wasn't the kind I make in the microwave - it had a hazelnut praline topping on it... YUM!

We had all sorts of suggestions for dinner and we went to some of the hotspots - Painted Lady, Joel Palmer, Dundee Bistro.. but on the last night, we decided again to take a chance with a NEW restaurant - Jory, located inside the hotel. It was amazing. We sat on the balcony which overlooked the vineyard and the sunset. The menu was extensive - especially the wine menu. I loved how it had a lot of nice wines by the glass - but also by the half glass, and by the taste. You could also do wine flights. And you could do courses for your meal. I chose a 3 course meal.. chef's choice - meaning he would fix whatever he wanted and the sommelier would pair the wine. I was not disappointed. The first course was a pasta dish with braised rabbit - and I would have never of guessed it was rabbit - it tasted so good. Then we were surprised by a "mid course" of wild mushroom ravioli, the main course was Guinea hen, and the desert was a chocolate truffle cake with hazelnut crust. I ate everything! I consider myself a foodie and walked away full and impressed. Our next trip to Oregon will definitely include a dinner at this restaurant (I would put it up there with Painted Lady, which was also one of our favorites).

My only regret at the hotel is that I ran out of time to try the spa! I can't wait for our next trip to the Allison!

- Amanda from Oklahoma

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OkieWineEnthusiast
HHotelConsult, The Allison Inn & Spa's Online Concierge at Allison Inn & Spa, responded to this review, November 10, 2009
Cheers & Good Day Amanda!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review... it is an immeasurable help. These new tools for communication are incredibly powerful, and reach an endless audience. It is a fantastic time we live in that we can have direct interaction with guests in this manner. That being said, social media is still quite young, and this site has admitted it's share of problems - Sometimes the most glowing reviews sound suspicious, and there have been ethical issues with properties reviewing themselves. As the Allison's online concierge, I am ethically obliged to make sure this doesn't happen.... and I am *TRULY* thankful you mentioned it in your review. Of course we appreciate it, but it really puts other readers at ease. Thank you again.

Another thing that puts readers at ease is that we did a fine job with your stay! It is always nice to have everything go smoothly, but the real test of service is when it *doesn't* go perfectly, and how we rectify the situation. Thank you for sharing that whole experience... it truly helps define what we are attempting to do here. We are also thrilled that you enjoyed our restaurant, but also really excited you shared some of the local options. As an online concierge, it is always nice to have some help from the guests.... and all your words and advice will help for some time to come!

If you ever have any questions, thoughts, or need any help of any kind, do not hesitate to contact me at michael at theallison dot com. I am here to help! In fact... when you gear up to visit again, please drop me a line! You can also find us on other social media sites, so feel free to search us out!

I hope this finds you well, and here is to taking a chance on our new hotel. I am quite familiar with that uneasy feeling of walking into a mystery.... but I am thrilled to find out your adventure had a happy ending!

Thank you again, and cheers!

Michael H.
Online Concierge
The Allison Inn & Spa
Denver Colorado
Reviewed September 2, 2009

Ken and Joan Austin have a success in the making with their addition to the Oregon Wine scene. Their Allison Inn and Spa, opening late in September of 2009 will be the premier destination for those seeking a luxurious yet comfortable place to hang their hats while visiting the various wineries in the Dundee/Newberg area. Here are 35 wonderfully relaxing acres of gorgeous grounds and vines surround their 85 room inn.

They’ve snagged Nathan Lockwood as their Chef. Although young, Nathan has crafted an ever changing menu; blending the best of locally sourced supplies for what will surely end up being an area premier dinning room in the Inn’s Jory Restaurant. This Oregon wine country cuisine hits home runs on all basis; incredible presentations of first courses highlighting the Inn’s garden sourced veggies to main courses ranging the gambit of guinea hens, salmon, pork tenderloin and a rib eye steak for two that will satisfy any carnivore. If you make it to the desert selections you’ll find finishes that are true treats to enjoy with both eye and mouth. The restaurant touts a 700 plus label wine list supporting local wineries, some fine Napa hard to finds and wonders from the rest of the wine producing world.

The Inn itself is something to see. Done in woods and earth toned walls and carpets the rooms are spacious, relaxing and are simply stellar. The beds are as comfortable as the bathrooms are spacious. The spa facilities are European first class as are the workout facilities and pool and banquet areas. General Manager Pierre Zreik brings his experience to bear in insuring the Inn’s staff treats you to the finest destination you’ll find between Seattle and Los Angeles.

If you’re heading to the Portland area, this is a wonderful stop well worth the 45 minute drive from the downtown area.

The Allison Inn and Spa
2525 Allison Lane
Newberg, OR 97132
[--]
www.theallison.com

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank captaincortez
Cheers, good day, and THANK YOU CAPTAIN!

Your review was fantastic; informative, complete, enthusiastic... we couldn't have asked for better press from a magazine!

You are definitely right about Ken and Joan Austin. Without them, this vision never would have happened, and we owe them everything. What's more, it provides great impetus for us to shine, and help open up Newberg, the Willamette Valley, and all of Oregon to the greater world at large. We want to share this stunning legacy with as many people as possible, and you have a vital role in that - your words will reverberate across the internet for years to come... and we appreciate you having taken the time to write about us.

We are thrilled to be here; It is wonderful to be able to use this tool to interact with our guests.... to listen, learn, celebrate, and grow! Pardon the delay for my response, but a new hotel has quite a bit going on, as I am sure you can tell. I am happy to say I am here now, and even happier to see how happy you were with our little Inn! If you or anyone ever has any question, do not hesitate to contact me at michael at theallison dot com. You can also search for us on the major social networks.... so don't hesitate to find us, follow us, and have fun learning more about the area, the people, and the hotel.

Thank you again, and I hope this finds you well.

Michael
The Allison Inn & Spa Online Concierge
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newberg
Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel
Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland
Sentinel
Sentinel
#7 of 141 in Portland

Been to Allison Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!