“Amazing Hotel & Restaurant”
Review of Allison Inn & Spa

and 1 more site!
Allison Inn & Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Newberg
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed April 13, 2014

This is a fantastic hotel! We spent a night here and went wine tasting and had a great time. The hotel and grounds are beautiful and very well laid out. When we first arrived our room wasn't quite ready so they offered us free drinks from the bar and we sat out on the patio and enjoyed a great view looking out over Newberg and wine country. The room itself was spacious with upscale furnishings. We were on the ground floor but it was nice because the gardens are well done and there are walking paths around the grounds with many little hidden gems to explore. The restaurant was awesome, we sat at the counter overlooking the kitchen so it was almost like dinner and a show. The chefs will tell you about what they're making and you can ask them any questions. The food and drinks were spectacular. We are definitely planning to return for another trip (though we'll have to save up as there's a high cost for all this luxury).

Room Tip: Make a reservations for dinner and ask to sit at the counter overlooking the kitchen if you want to...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jason L

Reviewed March 30, 2014

Stayed here to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Upon entering our room, we were greeted with gifts of fresh fruits, cheeses, and champagne. That was a nice surprise. Our room had a small dining table, so what else but order room service. The steak and salmon dinners were simply delicious. One thing that sticks out from experience in this hotel is the level of customer service. My wife spilled tea on her shorts while dining, went to the restroom to wash it off and the cleaning attendant in the bathroom offered assistance by ironing it so it will dry faster. What service! An hour away from Portland in the heart of Oregon wine country, it's one of our favorite places to go on special occasions.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jetters888
Reviewed March 29, 2014

As a special gift to celebrate my March Birthday, my husband planned a full 2-night weekend stay here again for the two of us, including a "romance package" first night and with an all-day Saturday Spa Day for me! I've enjoyed a number of their pampering treatments since The Allison Inn & Spa opened a few years ago, but this time I needed some real THERAPY! A frozen shoulder and injured hip are being re-habbed with PT, Acupuncture, topical NSAIDs and medical care at the moment, so I chose a therapeutic massage focusing on the injured areas (my regular massage therapist had to cancel my appointments for a snowstorm and then to care for her fireman husband who had shoulder replacement surgery), a back treatment (since my frozen shoulder does not allow me to reach that area in the shower now), some general relaxation in the Ladies' Lounge (because, really, WHO has time for THAT on a regular basis?), the steam room (to help ease allergy symptoms caused by the beautiful blooming trees all over the PNW right now), and I must say that every service was as outstanding as it always is! Our dinner the first night was delicious and included a candle in my berry/zabaglione dessert and "Happy Birthday" written in dark chocolate on the chilled plate: No big sombreros, no hoopla, no off-key singing. Just classy, low-key, and perfect! A nice touch. When we returned to our room, our huge spa tub was filled with bubbles, rose petals, and a bit of essential oil; candles were flickering, and a single rose lay on the side of the tub, which I took home to enjoy for days afterward. We've enjoyed this package several times, so we knew what to expect. Just a relaxing end to a lovely first day at The Allison. The next morning, we decided on room service so I could eat in my comfy Allison bathrobe before I walked down to the spa to begin my services there. Again, the food was excellent. We could only eat half of our Wild Mushroom omelettes, though, so next time we will just order one to share. We also ordered fresh berries and also Cappcinos and Lattes, and everything arrived at the correct temperature within 20 minutes. Our in-room table was set by the server with real linens, but we could also have eaten on our deck. It was early and still chilly, though, so we just stayed indoors. Then I walked down to the Spa, checked in, and soon my first service began: A therapeutic massage with Audra. She was chosen by the Spa staff because of her familiarity with frozen shoulder syndrome, arthritis, and injury. She was so helpful and responsive, I have already booked another 90-minute treatment with her for next month! After her therapeutic massage, I enjoyed a little relaxation time in the Ladies' Lounge area, nibbling almonds and dried fruit, drinking cucumber infused water, and then a nice cup of herbal tea. The day was warming up, so the huge glass doors to the outside patio area were open, soft music wafted through the air, and I really enjoyed just looking at an architecture magazine in such a quiet, lovely place. Soon a young esthetician, Kylie, came to fetch me for my "back treatment." This turned out to be a sort of "facial" for the back -- all those areas one can never reach, especially with a frozen shoulder! Highly recommended! There was a cleansing, exfoliating, mask, a cooling Arnica Oil treatment, massage, followed by toning and moisturizing. Kylie confirmed I had no blemishes and did not need any extraction, though she would have done that had I needed it. She also confirmed there were no suspiscious moles or other areas I might want to have checked by a dermatologist. Again, I am booking that service for next month following the therapeutic massage I will be repeating with Audra. After the back treatment, I walked back upstairs in my robe and dressed for a light lunch with my husband, who had thoroughly enjoyed his "alone time!" He read his WSJ on his iPad, took a walk through the lovely grounds on the nice paths throughout the vineyard and gardens, and even had a little rest! We enjoyed salads in the bar area, and then I got back into my robe to return to the Spa for some time in the Steam Room (Both Steam Room and Sauna are available to Spa guests anytime during their stay, no reservation necessary). I found the warm steam helpful in relieving my allergy symptoms, then showered quickly right in the steam room, applied lotion from the generous supply of amenities provided by the Allison Spa, and then returned to meet my husband for dinner. We decided to just eat in the bar area again, but they do offer both the full Jory menu as well as their own bar menu during the dinner hours. I ordered a Virgin Mary and one of their legendary Wagyu beef burgers from the bar menu, but could only eat half of it. My husband ordere a full entree from the Jory menu and requested that our server choose the wine pairings for each course. All of the staff is well-trained in the wines that The Allison carries, and if you happen to have a new server who is uncertain, they simply have the Sommelier come over to consult and make recommendations. We have NEVER been disappointed doing this, so we just always let them choose for us. The wines were all so wonderful, we had our server write down all the names and vintages so we could seek them out on our own. All are produced by local Oregon wineries. By that time, the evening was wearing on, so we chose to go back to our room to read and enjoy the quiet. The next morning, we departed fairly early to meet our children back in Portland for a festive family Birthday Brunch at another of our favorite places: The Heathman in downtown (a review I must write or update at another time). It was a perfect, balanced, birthday celebration weekend at The Allison Inn & Spa: A litte "we" time, a lot of "me" time, followed by a bit of family/grandparent time before we returned home again, too!

Room Tip: If it's a special event, choose the Presidential or Premier Level for the expansive view; otherw...
Reviewed March 25, 2014

We could not fault the service or the facilities. They made us feel very special during our anniversary visit. The JORY Restaurant food was top rate, beautifully and interestingly prepared and served. We ate that the bar in the JORY (not the separate bar), where we watched the food being prepared and chatted with the friendly cooking staff the first night, and then in the restaurant proper the second. We were there on one of their packages that included an allowance for the spa and the restaurant and the room that came with the package was spacious and very comfortable. When people in the area asked where we were staying they all complemented us on our choice. It's not cheap, but you definitely feel you get your money's worth

1  Thank Peter_BBQ
Reviewed March 9, 2014

The setting is beautiful. The bell caps and valets are wonderful. The rest of the staff are quite underclassed for what you'd expect at the prices. For an experienced spa goer I would say that the manicure and pedicure I received so bad that I receive better at the Chinese spot near my house. I was stunned- stunned- that they did such a poor job- stunned that they employed a staff that is so sub-par. The food was extraordinarily overpriced and unhealthy. Salt and far menu. No salads or healthy eating here. The room was lovely- the bathroom beautiful- the front desk young, snobby without reason or appeal. I would not call this a luxury spa experience. Most disappointed with the spa overall.

• Stayed: March 2014
3  Thank Savvytraveler33936
Steve H, Manager at Allison Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2014

Dear Savvytraveler33936,

I can not express how saddened I am to read your review. We rarely hear words like "underclassed" and "snobby" when describing our staff. We take pride in providing genuine, thoughtful and caring service to our guests and your recount surely falls short. While I can only dream that each guest that visits will experience the perfect stay, it still hurts when someone doesn't.

I know my apology will in no way improve your stay, but on behalf of our entire team I genuinely apologize that you didn't share the same experience so many of our trip advisor guests do. I did look at your other reviews in hopes of seeing examples of places you enjoyed but came up short, if you would ever consider a return stay please reach out to me so we can discuss details and make the next stay a better one.

Steve Hurst
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed March 9, 2014

This was our first stay at the Allison and we will definitely be back! Location wise it is the perfect launching pad to Oregon's best wineries/vineyards. We are local so we didn't ask/need advice from the hotel staff is but I suspect they would have fabulous recommendations (their restaurant wine list is outstanding).

We stayed in a penthouse level room - the view is definitely worth it! There is a comfortable window seat, the fireplace throws off a lot of heat, and the room has a lot of space. We really liked the refillable glass water bottles.

The staff are all welcoming, attentive, and very good at customer service. We had snacks in the bar area one night prior to leaving for dinner - the casual and comfy atmosphere is fabulous. We ate breakfast both days at Jory - we would recommend the crab benedict and biscuits. We had dinner at Jory one night as well - again top notch.

The Wifi was adequate for streaming but not blazing fast. Also the TV inputs were accessible so we could hook up our laptops for streaming which was definitely nice.

Two tips:
if open table says Jory is booked, just call them directly.
if you have a Visa Signature card, check out the visa signature website for deals.

The only negative is that there is no coffee maker in the rooms - we had to rock/paper/scissors each morning for who had to go downstairs and bring the complimentary coffee back up.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

We were part of a group of 15 who used the Allison as home base for a long weekend of wine in the Willamette Valley.

The Allison did such a wonderful job. The rooms here are very large, along with the bathrooms. Soaker tubs in most with large openings to the room, make for a relaxing soak after a long day in the vineyards. The fireplaces in the rooms are a nice touch, especially to ward off the slight chill on rainy days. Views from all rooms are amazing, whether you;re looking over the expertly manicured grounds or out the surrounding hillsides and vineyards.

The Spa at the Allison was nice as well. The spa treatment rooms do have a slight "clinical" bent to them, but the treatments were wonderful. The indoor pool is also great for a swim, no matter what the weather outside.

The restaurant and bar area here are top notch. Prices are a bit on the high side, but the food quality and wine selection is what's to be expected for this area.

One note is that the Allison is a popular conference spot, even with it's small size. As with any hotel that hosts conferences, sometimes it can get a bit crowded and noisy later in the evening near the restaurant.

Room Tip: There really isn't a bad room at the Allison. Upper floors have a better view, but lower floors...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newberg
The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland
Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel
Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel
#1 of 144 in Portland
Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland
Century Hotel
#2 of 2 in Tualatin

Been to Allison Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!