“A special property”

Allison Inn & Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Newberg
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I Recently checked out the Allison Inn and Spa, in diminuitive Newberg, Oregon, as it appeared on the TA list of top 25 U. S. hotels.
I will try to include here most, if not all, of the nice touches offered by this newer hotel.
A gratis basket of in-room snacks was proferred, both healthy and naughty, and little carafes of filtered water were in the (quiet) mini fridge, as well as a filtered water tap. The large bathroom was lovely and pristine, including the large soaking tub, with a small package (more for the asking from housekeeping) of bath salts, and a very nice shower.
Always impressive to me, and only seen elsewhere in an (upgraded !) $600./night suite in a 5 star Swiss hotel, were the automatically raised and lowered double set of shades at the window seat framing the garden.
The king bed was comfy and had very good quality sheets. Importantly, for me, the travelling insomniac, was the quietetude of the room and property. (I was told they had installed solid soundproofing between rooms, and one could tell). Each room also has a fireplace with various timed increments, which one could see from the tub via a sliding door/window.
The spa was large, with two lounging areas (one co-ed), pool/jacuzzi open to a patio, and several saunas. I enjoyed doing a bit of yoga in the dry sauna (did not frizz the hair-big plus!; suprisingly-or not-empty, though), to warm up muscles before treatments.
The esthetician and massage therapist were both friendly and professional, and yet another nice touch- the cozy and fluffy duvet atop the top of the line treatment table.
The hotel staff were freindly, attentive and accomodating.
JORY restaurant, which I ate in for all three nights, really was a highlight of my little Oregon jaunt (see separate review, if you wish); not only were the ingredients obviously at peak freshness, the offerings were complex and, further, there was the possibility of asking for special exceptions and off-menu requests. I would say it came close to my experience at the 17-Galaut points gourmet Restaurant Abtestube in Switzerland, yet without as hefty a price tag. Also, I enjoyed the decor and ambience in JORY.
I also availed myself of an hour and a half (out of a four hour reserved window) in the Lexus hybrid car-amazingly zippy and very well appointed!
I walked daily around the several, albeit rather short, well groomed walking paths around the property.
Newberg is a quiet little town southwest of Portland, but I think the Allison is a beautiful property if you're looking for a some R & R.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank zimmchiro
Write a ReviewReviews (1,498)

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Great place. Great room, food, service, garden/vineyard walking trail, and spa. The only possible negative is the price...it was a little steep. Good location to use as a "base" for Willamette winery visiting. I would highly recommend.
We will stay there next time we return to the area.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BillCarrollton_GA
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Mothers Day gift to my mom....grape seed scrub and massage at the Allison Spa.....ahhhhh! Tracy was outstanding in delivery of my chosen services-transported to another planet and back in 90 minutes! Mom said her treatments were equally wonderful; well worth the money!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 6, 2013

My sweet boyfriend brought me here for my birthday and we were treated very well and I just loved every moment of my experience there-from the moment we drove up to the time we checked out. We pulled up and were greeted immediately and after a quick and courteous check in, we were famished from our wine tasting adventures and were delighted to find complimentary snacks near the bar (chips, fruit, power bars), it saved us from our hunger. We also got a signed note welcoming us and a nice bottle of wine.

We requested a floor room with access to the garden because we have two dogs, and it was PERFECT! Loved the robes and slippers and the comfy room!

After a delicious dinner at the hotel, we were off the relax in the pool and hot tub! It was so clean and modern and it made the end of the night perfect for us.

In the morning, we grabbed a cup of coffee at the front desk and headed on back to reality. I love this place and look forward to when we can come back!

Room Tip: If you have dogs, ask for the terrace on the first floor.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chacha79
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I don't know where to start. Let me start with some adjectives. Pretentious, delusional, California wannabes, WAY overpriced, lacking sensibilities and sophistication, worst massage of my life (insipid is the proper adjective here), etc.

First off, I was very clear in what I wanted, no, needed. Stressed out mom who needed a couple of days to regain her sanity. So what did they do with that information? Gave me a room overlooking a paper mill. That's right. A big fat stinky paper mill. Great.

I opted for all the extras (pretentiously priced as they were). The cheese plate consisted of three extremely thin slices of cheese. They were all sweaty which led me to believe they'd been out awhile. Yum.The "champagne"? Argyle. Yep. $10 a bottle at the grocery store for that gut rot. I don't remember exactly but I think they charged something like $75 for that. I could be wrong about the exact price but I wasn't going to drink it anyway so it doesn't matter. The chocolates were good though.

Of course I let management know I wasn't about to accept this nonsense so they moved us to a room with a great view, so long as your neck can spin around 180 degrees. Which of course made me more in need of my in-room massage than before I got there. Did I mention it was insipid? If I wanted someone to just put oil on my body, I have a husband willing to do that. Pathetic. I was counting the seconds until it was over. After said in-room "massage", someone shows up at the door and hands me a paper cup (I kid you not) of "spa water". I just stood there, mouth agape, holding my pitiful paper cup, trying not to cry.

Next? Room service. Here's where the French Laundry chef comes up in person and hands me a bowl of grain. I was charged FIFTY DOLLARS for THREE spoonfuls of quinoa. I'm not kidding. I have a great imagination but even I couldn't make this one up. Huh? Oh, and he forgot the salad, so he comped it. Oh gee, how generous of you. (eye roll) I had to laugh. What else could I do? I'll give them one thing. The bed was really comfy. It should be for over $500 a night.

We'd originally planned three nights with all kinds of spa treatments. We cancelled all of them. I left the next day. The manager "did me a favor" and said I could sleep as long as I wanted. Oh how sweet. For nearly a THOUSAND dollars I could sleep in? Thank you. (another eye roll -- my eyeballs got a fantastic workout while I was there)

Oh and the flowers. I forgot to mention the flowers. I'd asked for flowers in the room. Have you ever been to Safeway? Well, think of the cheapest flower arrangement you could possibly find, one a little kid would get his mommy (which would be very sweet, from a little KID). Yep. When I asked that they be removed, (I can't tolerate chemicals), they "upgraded" them to the next level up in Safeway flower arrangements. I put them in the hallway. However, upon check-out, I saw they had a whole bunch of fresh tulips from the tulip farm. Am I not good enough for tulips? ??

Save your money guys. These people are aping California wine country hotels. Which as any seasoned traveler knows, is aping French wine country hotels. (Only double the price. Nobody of old money would ever be fool enough to pay these exorbitant prices for what you get in the US.) Clearly they're wannabes aping other wannabes and counting on the ignorance of the American traveler. Even the food is low-brow, at high-brow prices of course. If you like $20 burgers (we're veg), by all means, enjoy. I didn't see anyone in their restaurant that wasn't obese. I for one have standards, and I resent having my time wasted. Not to mention the money we spent there. What a joke. I was more stressed out when I left than when I got there. NEVER AGAIN. I could go to Europe for less.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
12  Thank LunaTec
OnlineConcierge, General Manager at Allison Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your thorough review. Although you voiced most of these concerns during your stay, and we discussed all these points- I will summarize our thoughts for other potential guests in order to aid in their decision making.

We do have a mill in the town of Newberg, and it is barely visible in the distance, so much so that you are the first guest I have *ever* had ask about it. We have never smelled anything from the mill most likely due to the considerable distance from us. We did move your room immediately to another room that you loved when we toured it, although I understand when you sit on the bed looking towards the TV the view is not right in front of you. If you did sit in the six foot soaking tub, the day bed, or the many other chairs in the room, they did look directly out onto the beautiful surroundings.

The room you were in was $365 per night, not $500 as you stated. That said we do have rooms ranging from the $345-$1115 per night and we take equal pride in providing exceptional service at all price points.

In person you were endlessly appreciative of the extra efforts your stay required, and we were happy to provide. Your first flower order was not to the style you wanted. When I approached our in house wine liaison and VIP contact (and resident style expert) she recalled seeing some beautiful bouquets in a neighboring town while she was out earlier. She dropped everything and drove 30 minutes to bring you this fresh, seasonal and beautiful bouquet. When we brought it to the room you said it was beautiful and were happy with all but the vase. Moments later you called the front desk and said the flowers are in the hall to please remove them. We don't mind at all getting endless bouquets for our guests and are disappointed that our efforts and production were not to your expectations. If we had known you loved tulips we would have happily brought dozens to your room. It should be said that the tulips you saw at departure where just brought to us from a guest visiting the neighboring tulip festival.

The reason our Executive Chef, Sunny Jin, was personally delivering the dinner items you requested is due to your dislike of everything on our menu (including our many vegetarian and vegan options). We understand this can happen and our chef was happy to prepare a custom menu for you. When he presented the idea of fresh quinoa from our Chef's Garden you gushed with excitement, he delivered a full vegetarian menu prepared around this item and charged $32 for it, not the $50 stated. I think most would agree a fair price for a custom menu from our amazing and talented team of chefs.

In the end we have no aim to be a hotel from any region then our own, we have every desire to be an Oregon Wine Country Hotel. While you are comparing us to other hotels, we merely attempt be a genuine, caring and thoughtful group of people, providing the best service we can. We will make an occasional mistake, and as you stated during your stay, our staff does *not* respond well to harsh words and obscenities, as we are simply not used to it. Our team is comprised of very humble, caring and well trained people with the goal of sharing the beauty and bounty or Oregon Wine Country.

We are deeply apologetic for not being able to provide the escape you needed; the last thing we ever want to do is have a visit with us cause more stress. We are sincerely apologetic for your experience regardless of conditions.

Steve H. | Assistant General Manager
The Allison Inn & Spa

Reviewed April 19, 2013

The Allison was recommended to us by the owners of Elk Cove. And we are forever grateful! Everything from the elegant and spacious room, the exceptional spa and pool area, the outside grounds to the restaurant. The absolute best part of the whole experience was the staff! Friendly, helpful, knowledgable and professional. We dined at the "counter" every meal! The kitchen staff chatted with us like we were longtime friends. They answered questions, made menu recommendations and were genuinely glad to see. The food was excellent! The decor of the inn and the individual rooms was very well thought out. Gas fireplace, balcony, electronic black out shades and curtains, large bathroom with double vanity and separate shower and toilet area was just awesome!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 17, 2013

The level of detail and high quality of finishes throughout this hotel are quite impressive. No detail is left to chance. everywhere you turn, a nice touch surprises you and it becomes very clear that this place is well run and thought out. The spa is beautiful, the restaurant and food are great. Rooms and linens are top quality and superbly comfortable. Well done!

Room Tip: A room looking out on the valley is nice. The penthouse floor is worth it if you like a view. The lo...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newberg
The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland
Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland
Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel
Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel
#3 of 144 in Portland
Century Hotel
#2 of 2 in Tualatin

Been to Allison Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!