“Lovely Inn and Restaurant!”
Review of Allison Inn & Spa

and 1 more site!
Allison Inn & Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Newberg
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Menlo Park, California
“Lovely Inn and Restaurant!”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

My husband and I had a wonderful stay at the Allison. Our room was spectacular - beautiful furnishings, lovely linens, comfy window seat with gorgeous view, nice patio, and huge and luxurious bathroom. We were greated with a complimentary basket of goodies, including chocolate covered hazelnuts, chips, and bottles of water. The grounds of the hotel are also spectacular - beautiful gardens, paths and vistas. We'll definitely go back!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Leslie079

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
Vancouver
Reviewed July 28, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for one night with a group and the purpose of the stay was for the husbands to have business meetings all day at the hotel while the wives enjoyed the resort. It's easy to get to - just a 45 min drive from Portland and you just can't believe that you are so close to the city because the scenery is so beautiful and quiet and relaxing. There is a very nice spa there but we didn't have any treatments. Instead, we spent the afternoon sitting outside on the patio at the end of the indoor pool in the sunshine with a beautiful view of the lovely gardens. A waiter showed up after a while and brought us drinks and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The pool and hot tub could both have been a bit warmer but were still enjoyable.
The rooms are very nice. We had a very comfortable king bed, a fireplace, a huge bathroom with separate tub and shower, a table and chairs and lots of space and a small balcony looking over the gardens. Our room was on the 2nd floor which was convenient to the pool. The lobby and restaurant/bar are on the 3rd floor. Everything was so clean and there was turn-down service in the late afternoon.
Our group had dinner in the dining room in a private room and the food was excellent. Our server was extremely knowledgeable about every aspect of each dish and helped us decide what to have. The next day the wives went on a long walk which wound around the vineyards and then we had breakfast at the hotel restaurant outside on the patio in the sunshine. Again, the food was excellent and there was a very nice selection. Our server was extremely friendly and nice to deal with.
The people we were with are all from Portland and they were surprised to find this gem of a place so close to home. We would definitely consider staying here again if the opportunity comes up and I will be recommending it to any friends that plan on visiting Oregon wine country. It makes a terrific base to visit the wineries from. And another good thing about it is that it is less than a 20 mi drive to Woodburn (which is a fabulous outlet shopping centre) where we spent the next afternoon shopping.

3 Thank h0lym0ly
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 27, 2011

We booked two rooms, one for my husband and I and one for our daughter and husband and twin babies. Nice cribs in room as promised. Beautiful layout in room. Lovely view from our room, our daughter and husband did have a view of the wedding, which was ok, as we were on an upper floor, but excruciatingly loud music. Indeed, it did shut down at 10, but was really overbearing, and I would not have been amused if I had come for a quiet weekend. It was not possible to enjoy sitting outside with that decibel level, Live, un amplified music might be a rule to consider, in view of the beautiful natural setting. Lovely grounds, very helpful staff. We brought our bikes, and there was some roughig of the bikes in the bellman's closet. You need a bike rack in there, in view of how great a place this is for biking. Or maybe install some bike lockers on the grounds. All in all a wonderful weekend, and we will come back.

Room Tip: Hillside rooms, then you won't get the wedding situation.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank swedefinn2
germantown, tn
Reviewed July 27, 2011

This is a wonderful place for relaxation. good food and great way to try the wonderful wines of the region. For us it was the grand finale after completing the Newport Marathon. We stay there for two nights after the race and I cannot stress enough how much we enjoyed our stay!!!!!we had some spa treatments, enjoyed the swimming pool and the hot tub,.( great for sore muscles!!)!We did some site seeing around wine country, beautiful!!!!!Did some shopping, and had great food. The Jory restaurant at the hotel was outstanding!!!!!The staff was always friendly and very helpful. The architecture and decor inside were absolutely amazing it was truly Green and environmentally friendly hotel. We wish we could stay for few more days!!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tatiana14
Washingrton DC
Reviewed July 25, 2011

The hotel was excellent. We really enjoyed the breakfast, you must try the yogurt parfait.

We had dinner there as well at Jory. The food was good but not excelllent. We asked for a tasing menu and wine pairing. The wine pairing really needs some work. There are great Oregon wines around but the wine pairing was not good.

The spa was excellent. Both my husband and I had several treatments. The service was good although I did feel rushed. It was July 4th weekend so I know they were busy.

I hope you will give them a try. You will really enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: The rooms are lovely, love the fireplace and the colors they used.
1 Thank happytravels63
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed July 23, 2011

We just returned from a one night stay for our 10th anniversary and had a perfect and wonderful experience. The hotel is exceptionally well designed and decorated, with the friendliest staff possible. The food at Jory was superb. I hadn't expected to enjoy the gardens so much, but they were so beautiful and lush. I enjoyed reading in the chairs overlooking both the gardens. Although we didn't want to leave the hotel, we enjoyed touring some of wineries. Penner-Ash was by far our favorite for the views and atmosphere. We will definitely return.

1 Thank ajh7gf
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed July 17, 2011

My husband and I love the Allison Inn & Spa so much that we've decided to make it an annual tradition for our anniversary each year. I wrote my initial review after staying for the first time at the Allison Inn for our wedding night, and didn't think our second experience could have possibly been better than that... and yet it was.

We stayed at the Allison Inn this weekend to celebrate our one year anniversary, and were in sheer bliss from the moment we pulled up to the valet. Every staff member was congratulatory towards us and made us feel very valued and special. We were upgraded complimentarily to a king deluxe room and had a bottle of (my favorite!) Argyle champagne waiting for us when we arrived. We toasted to a year of marriage, read books in the lobby by the fire, sipped on NW pinot noir and listened to jazz music in the lobby living room, ate delicious steak and locally grown vegetables at the Jory restaurant, fell asleep in luxuriously soft sheets, awoke to rain trickling down our windows with a view of the vineyard and gardens, and ate breakfast in bed (complete with fresh squeezed orange juice and french press coffee) by our cozy fire. After breakfast I had a massage in the spa (and it was literally the best massage I've ever had), we swam and soaked in the pool and hot tub, layed out and talked some more, read books again in our window seat, and enjoyed a nice warm bath with dead sea salts to round out our morning. Everything was bliss and perfection, and I have never in my life (and in my worldwide travel experiences!) had a hotel experience quite like The Allison. While price is a bit steep, it's one of those indulgences that is worth every single penny.

I often take my photography clients to The Allison for photo shoots & coffee, and to introduce them to one of my most favorite places in Oregon. Many of my friends have booked nights at The Allison because of my recommendations, and because they fall in love with the property when we visit, too!

My husband and I plan to be back on every anniversary that we can for the rest of our married lives. :) (That could be a lot of visits to The Allison!) I can't speak highly enough about this hotel. You will have a wonderful experience.

2 Thank mlove17
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newberg
Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel
Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland
Sentinel
Sentinel
#5 of 142 in Portland

Been to Allison Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!