“Needs some help.....”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Newberg
Portland, Oregon
“Needs some help.....”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Stayed here recently for a week while we were between apartments. Sadly, this Shilo just doesn't live up to their image. While using the laundry facilities, discovered that the dryer doesn't get your clothes dry without putting in additional money. Needs attention. During the day, the front desk seems to be the gathering place for Kiara from housekeeping and the maintenance guy to yak.The continental breakfast was well stocked for what it was on the first day, Unfortunately, each morning there was less and less to choose from to the point that there was no gravy for biscuits, a few fruits, and no milk cartons.The coffee in the lobby is weak and cold in the a.m. for which there is no excuse,The shining stars are the lovely housekeeping ladies that clean your room. Hard working. smiling and very accommodating!Just don't get the feeling that this Shilo is a cut above like we used to. Nothing to seperate you from the competition when you don't pay attention to the details.Hope you can fix it!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank sue s
ShiloHotels, Manager at Shilo Inn Suites - Newberg, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Good Morning Sue S,

I want to thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to let us know about your recent visit to the Shilo Inns Suites in Newberg, Oregon. We really appreciate every comment each of our guests provide. It helps us strive to provide the best service for each of our guest.

I will have someone look into the dryer issue. I appreciate the wonderful comment about the housekeepers that cleaned your room. Please feel free to call me at our establishment anytime to discuss anything in details with me.

Thank you again for choosing the Shilo Inns Suites in Newberg and we look forward to having you as our guest again in the future.

Scott Fritscher

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Rockaway Beach, Oregon
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We had to come to the hotel twice to get checked in as they were unable to get the rooms cleaned up and available by the regular check in time. Too bad as we wanted to clear up some space in our trunk for a shopping trip...

Our room was non-smoking (I think the hotel is non-smoking) however our room smelled very much like a smoking room. The room was clean enough though the carpet needs to be replaced due to a large thread-bare patch right in front of the sink.

The in room coffee maker was out of action due to a missing filter basket. How did room service miss that?

The complementary breakfast is fairly basic. Cereal, individual packaged bagels and danish, toast, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, etc... The danish I had was not at all good. They did have fresh fruit like apples, oranges, and bananas! That was nice. For some reason there is a waffle maker out in the lobby, not in the same room as the rest of the food and tables.
So there is enough to get you going for the day but I wish I had just gone out to Shari's for breakfast.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank William D
Shilohotels, Manager at Shilo Inn Suites - Newberg, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Hello William D,

I want to thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to let us know about your recent visit to the Shilo Inns Suites in Newberg, Oregon. We really appreciate every comment each of our guests provide. It helps us strive to provide the best service for each of our guests.

I gratefully appreciate what you pointed out; please feel free to call me at our establishment anytime to discuss this personally with me. I look forward to our conversation for it is our personal goal to accommodate each guest.

Des Moines
Reviewed September 22, 2013

The property was a little dated, but clean. They still use real keys instead of access cards. The breakfast was very basic- convenience-store pastries, cereal, yogurt. They did have 1 waffle maker in a separate area by the front desk. If you don't care about frills and just need a place to sleep, this is your spot.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Shilo I, Manager at Shilo Inn Suites - Newberg, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Hello Stephanie V,

We have found that most Guests enjoy using the real standard keys instead of access cards; which sometimes become demagnetized and cause problems. We are glad you found the breakfast area to be very convenient. The housekeeping staff was pleased with your feed back which they pride themselves on. We have started upgrading our televisions with flat screens; which some of the rooms already have.

Manhattan Beach, California
Reviewed September 18, 2013

This is not our typical profile for a hotel when we travel. Booked by the company for its location and I'm sure price. When I checked in the front desk staff was very friendly and professional. When I got to the room I felt like I had been transported back to a motel in the 1970's.

This place could use a facelift. The room was large and clean but very dated. It had an old smell. Two of the people in my group had to change rooms because their non-smoking room had been smoked in. The AC was loud and underpowered. The window would not open. Bird poop on the window.

I took a few photos of the room and sent them to the rest of our team who was still in Portland. They checked into a more upscale Portland hotel.

I'd return if I was paying myself and had to stay in the area,. For business travel no.

Walk out the front door and turn right at the street. Go to Abby's pizza for dinner. It was outstanding.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Hello Mid-40-married,

It is our goal to make every guest feel comfortable during their stay; and feel pleased that they choose Shilo Inns Suites. I would like the opportunity to thank you over the telephone, please feel free to call me at our establishment anytime.

Our local community appreciates that you also pointed out your recommended restaurant. Abby’s Pizza is great place to enjoy old town family style pizza.

Wenatchee
Reviewed September 16, 2013

don
not stay here! Upon checking in about 3:30pm was told our pre-reserved room was not available, they were full? I asked about giving the confirmation number, girl at desk said it won't help it doesn't mean anything? Upon checking back at 9pm, was told we they had our room all along? Room was 80-9- degrees all night, was told, "ya that room has always been hot?" We suffered, they gave us a box fan for second night? showed head of housekeeping how air cond wouldn't blow cool air, she agreed and mentioned it was way too hot and would get it looked at. Was told at front desk upon checking out they wouldn't charge for that night and apologized and manager would call us at home next day. No call ever came. Bill came, yep we got billed for $202.24 for second night after a $$74.90 first night, we had reserved for two nights. Never stay at Shilo again and will let others know as well of problems with staff and 1-800 garbage.

Room Tip: stay elsewhere, Best Western very close. A lot of weddings in this area. Book ahead but not Shilo, t...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Shilo I, Manager at Shilo Inn Suites - Newberg, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Hello Richard L,

It was a pleasure speaking to you over the telephone. I personally want to thank you for allowing me to correct every issue while we were on the telephone together. Please feel free to call our establishment anytime to discuss anything else which you might remember later. I look forward to your suggested input.

I look forward to your next visit to Newberg, Oregon.

Scott Fritscher

Travelers are raving about these Newberg hotels

Newberg, Oregon
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We were so tired and this hotel was just what we needed. Clean, comfortable, quiet and well priced. We arrived late with no reservations and they were able to house us. Thank you for your great service!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello indab,

I am pleased that we were able to accommodate you. Thank you for the comment on our Clean, Comfortable & Quiet rooms. May our service & hospitality still continue to be great for your future stays with Shilo Inns!

Oregon
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Last minute booking for Labor Day weekend. Price was great for a simple large room and a place just to sleep. Did NOT seem dirty, compared to what another review said. There are better, more beautiful places to stay in Newberg, but to just lay your head, this was just fine! Breakfast was a continental style with waffles. Nothing great but filled us up. The woman at the front counter was very nice and polite. Would stay here again (if we can't get into the Allison!)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello HulaHolly,

I am pleased we were able to arrange your last minute booking during the busy Labor Day Weekend. I want to thank you for your comment on our room. I am glad you enjoyed the Waffles along with our continental breakfast. Our Front Desk Staff was pleased about your comment about their hospitality service.

Scott Fritscher
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newberg
Best Western Newberg Inn
Comfort Inn & Suites McMinnville
Red Lion Inn & Suites McMinnville
Best Western Plus Northwind Inn & Suites
GuestHouse Vineyard Inn McMinnville
McMinnville Inn
McMinnville Inn
#3 of 6 in McMinnville

Been to Shilo Inn Suites - Newberg? Share your experiences!