“Very nice stay for a 2-star property and a bargain price”

Holiday Inn Express Newberg - Wine Country
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Newberg
Folsom
“Very nice stay for a 2-star property and a bargain price”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband, daughter and I stayed for two nights in February while visiting George Fox University. Overall, we were quite please with the accomodations! Considering the price we paid and knowing it was a 2-star property it exceeded our expectations.

Pros:
- Vary large room with up-to-date furnishings and colors.
- Flat screen TV (BUT not all rooms have them, ask if that is important to you!)
- Comfortable beds (queens NOT doubles)
- Lots of counter and mirror space. The vanity was separate from the shower/toilet area which helped with 3 of us trying to getting groomed at once. The kitchen area had another large mirror with outlets too.
- Fridge and microwave
- Very clean
- Lots of pillows, nice linens
- Quiet location, set back from the main street. Stores and restaurants nearby.
- Friendly and helpful staff
- Non-smoking property
- Great price!!!

Cons:
- Hallways were dated and unattractive. Need new lighting and sprucing up!
- Not enough lighting in room. Light next to bed was dim and light shade blocked most of the light making it inadequate to read by. Large fluorescent fixture near window was bright but so unattractive and with a cold white tone, we didn't even want to turn it on. The desk and dresser area needs more lighting, it was hard to see inside our suitcases.
- We wished the beds were triple sheeted, I always hate bedspreads that don't get washed between quests.
- Thin rough toilet paper, have never seen such low quality
- Work-out room a bit run down and rusty, we didn't use it
- Reservation systems could use some updating, I think their computer equipment is old.

We would definitely stay here again if visiting the area and wanting inexpensive accommodations. Overall nice place for the price!

Tip - we had a very delicious meal at Subterra, moderately expensive but excellent quality food and service.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Shilo I, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Newberg - Wine Country, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Good Morning SunnyNorCal,

I want to thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to let us know about your recent visit to the Shilo Inns Suites in Newberg, Oregon. We really appreciate every comment each of our guests provide. It helps us to strive to provide the best service for each of our guest.

I am pleased with your wonderful experience you had while you stayed with us, we all take pride in this hotel. All of our rooms have been recently remodeled. The carpet, furniture & drapery were all remodeled. I appreciate that you commented on the hallways. I will notify our corporate office and have them look into the issues you pointed out.

Guests love that we are the closest Hotel to George Fox University. Always ask for the George Fox Special when making your future reservation to visit George Fox University.

Thank you again for choosing the Shilo Inns Suites in Newberg and we look forward to having you as our guest again in the future.

Scott Fritscher

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Las Vegas
Reviewed November 14, 2012

This was a Priceline Bid-for hotel stay, late October, 2012. As a whole, I was pleasantly surprised in almost every way. I was in Newberg for Crush and stayed for 8 days. For the price I paid and the unknown nature of Priceline’s bid-for hotels, I got well more than I expected.

Location: The location could not have been better. An hour south of PDX and central to everything I needed from wineries to dining. McMinnville is not too far.

Staff: The staff was overly friendly, going beyond pleasant greeting as we came and went each day. They were helpful with local-food suggestions for eats and were curious as to how our day went when we returned all sticky with grape muck.

Room: the room was larger than expected and it was very clean. There was a desk, a sofa and a small breakfast table with 2 chairs. There was a wet bar, Microwave and mini-fridge. The TV was big, if you still watch TV. The bed was particularly good. Top Las Vegas strip quality.

Bathroom: The bath was a bit small; with tub/shower and toilet in one room and the sink and large mirror in the main room just inside the door. The bath soap was a stinky sandalwood-scented bar that was too small. It's a shame hotels don't recognize long-term guests with a decent bar of soap.

Continental Breakfast: This was large by my traveling experience. Heavy on the sweets with fruit, packaged pastries and fruit juices, but there were also hard-boiled eggs, bagels and cream cheese. The star of breakfast was the Belgian Waffle maker. Too bad there wasn’t some nice chicken and gravy to go on it!

The cleaning staff seemed to refuse to let us keep the same towels, despite hanging them up as the instruction so stated. 8 days, 12 towels – and one of those days was a Saturday football binge where we had the DND sign on the door. There was also an odd inconsistency in making the bed, sometimes making it complete with all the annoying throw pillows on it and sometimes as a partial turn-down. Neither issue is a big deal, of course.

There are several eating opportunities within walking distance. For fine dining and a great happy hour: Subterra (see my raving review). I was eager to try Huckabee’s BBQ but they were closed the 1 chance we got. Abbey’s pizza looked good, too. More than a short walk, Ohana has a great lunch value and Daniel’s Vineyard Grill is also a must-visit (see both glowing reviews) and the high-end fast-food “Burgerville” which seems pricy, but they use high-quality products. Other close places to eat include: J’s, which was unimpressive cheap diner food – (though 1 sandwich isn’t enough to review); there are 2 Mexican places in a row also, but neither served lengua, so who cares. If they’re not serving lengua, they’re not worth my time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank hoohoolian
Shilo I, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Newberg - Wine Country, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Good Afternoon hoohoolian,

I want to thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to let us know about your recent visit to the Shilo Inns Suites in Newberg, Oregon. We really appreciate every comment each of our guests provide. It helps us strive to provide the best service for each of our guest.

I am pleased with your wonderful experience you had while you stayed with us, we all take pride in this hotel, I hope it shows. Our staff here really enjoys providing our guests with the best possible experience. They really enjoy speaking to each and every guest. Depending on the guest’s preference in evening dining, our staff loves to point out all the wonderful choices. I inspire our staff to try out all the different restaurants in order to provide accurate information on that establishment. I am sure our community appreciates that you also pointed out your recommended restaurants. Shilo Inns Suites Hotel strives for a well-known business relationship with all of our local communities and with all the Shilo Inns Suites Hotels. We look forward to your next visit.

Puyallup, Washington
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We went to a baseball tournament, Had the do not disturb on our door- my daughters purse was ransacked, and her money 150.00 was gone. I immediately called the front desk, the young guy seemed concerned and helpful. In the am I called the police and they came. No one has called me or dealt with this. I guess if you hire housekeeping and they pretend they cant speak English they cant address things. I am furious. The manager has not called and corporate has not called. I paid 160.00 cash to stay here, if I would have used a credit card I could have stopped the charges... I hope Shilo enjoys stealing form little kids.............I IWILL NEVER STAY AT ANY SHILO AGAIN... SUPPORT ME AND DO THE SAME.... PLEASE

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else....
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank staceyshouses

Travelers are raving about these Newberg hotels

Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Just spent the night at Shilo Inn Newberg OR 8-25-12. Filthy & Hot room #226. Tub had black mold around an old pasted down mat. Dried Pee on the toilet. No AC in the room. Dirty Blanket on the bed. Long Black hair on the sheets. We are BLONDE. Dark hallways with wornout spotted carpet. Pool area also had black mold in tiles. They even disputed the rate we were quoted when reservations were made. Unfortunately the Travelodge across the Hwy was fully booked. I requested a change of room when we discovered the AC didn't work. They just said Oh it does that sometimes and handed us a box fan to put in the window. I took pictures with my cell phone and sent them to guestservices@shiloinns.com clearly showing the filth. The GM for this location called back with an excuse for each item mentioned above. New tub mat was on order, the AC was working when he went to the room and no dirty blanket to be found....miraculous! I bet the toilet cleaned itself too! So many excuses it was ridiculous! He then offer a discounted rate if I ever stay in Newberg OR again. I wouldn't stay there again if it was free! I have never before registered a complaint about a hotel room but this place is gross! After comparing notes with other friends I found out several had similar or worse experiences at Shilo Inns. I will never again stay at a Shilo Inn. I would rather perch myself in a tree! Hotel guests BE WARE!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank s r
Seattle
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed four nights at the Newberg Shilo Inn during a sports tournament.

Staff was exceptionally friendly and accomodating. Our room had two double beds, linens and towels were great, and the kitchen area was well-equipped for our needs. There was a microwave, a sink, and a generously sized mini-fridge. Air-conditioning was necessary and provided a pleasant white noise that was not unpleasant. The room was large enough to spread out sports uniforms and equipment for sorting and storage. WiFi connection in our room was excellent (we were central, on upper floor) but for another in our group WiFi was terrible (she was at the end of one hall).

The hotel is not fancy but met all of our needs while in Newberg and we would definitely stay here again.

Across the street is a good Mexican restaurant (Lago de Chapala).

Room Tip: Upper floor was quieter than others. Ask for room with good WiFi as some rooms had poor reception.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Shilo I, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Newberg - Wine Country, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear TouristeSeattle,

Our staff was pleased that you found them exceptionally friendly. We are glad you found the room to be well equipped for your needs. It is pleasing to see returning sport teams visiting the Newberg area each year. We look forward to your next visit.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed August 13, 2012

My husband, son and I recently stayed here when we visited George Fox University, which is just around the corner. The young man behind the desk was on the phone when we arrived, but he placed the other customer on hold so that he could check us in. He handled that situation perfectly and made us feel welcome right away. The lobby had a lot of personal touches, such as a clear glass container of ice water with lemons in it and another container with doggy treats. We helped ourselves to water and skipped the doggy treats since we had no pet, due to my allergies to dogs and cats. I DID ask ahead of time for a room that was not used for customers with pets, and my request was granted upon arrival. I never had any kind of reaction to pet dander while in my room.
As others have said, we received a key to our room--not the fancy card keys in most hotels these days. It felt funny, but we just took it all in stride. As we walked along the hallway, we could see that the carpet was very worn and the doors on the rooms were extremely dated. But, once we got into our room, we were pleasantly surprised at how spacious the room was and the good condition of most everything in the room. Yes, as others have said, the bed spreads and decor are dark, and not in a fashionable way. But, things were generally clean, including the bathroom, which I am VERY picky about. Btw, the room was so spacious that we could have easily fit a queen air mattress on the floor.
The one thing I had a hard time with in this room was the fact that the air conditioner turned on and off all night and kept waking me up. If you are a light sleeper, this could be a problem for you. There was no option on the unit to keep the fan running all night. The controls are not on a wall-mounted thermostat, but on the unit. You can choose heat or cool and high or low fan. There is no thermostat.
There is a nice size refrigerator and an additional sink in the room. It looks like a wet bar that is out of place. There are large cabinets that look like they should have pots and pans in them, too. It wasn't a problem, it just surprised us. We really enjoyed having the fridge. There was also a min microwave, which was nice.
The bathroom sink & mirror are separate from the tub & toilet, which we always like. The soap and other products were, as I had expected, not up to my standards, but I had brought my own shampoo, soap, etc. They provide minimal products, including a combination shampoo and conditioner. We just used the hand soap provided and left the rest.
Breakfast was big belgium waffles that each person made on their own--so delicious! Thankfully when we went down to the lobby there were very few people there. Otherwise, it would have been a long wait for a waffle. There were no hot eggs--just hard-boiled eggs in the refrigerator. There was also yogurt, cereal, toast and juice.
If we return to Newberg we will most likely stay there again. It was clean, quiet, and the staff was incredibly friendly.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Shilo I, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Newberg - Wine Country, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Good Morning Denise A,

I am so happy you felt very welcomed upon arrival, we all take pride in this hotel, I hope it shows. I want to thank you for the comment about our hallway carpet and the doors. I will address these issues with our corporate office. I ame glad you found our rooms to be spacious. I want to apologize for the air-conditioner turning off and on through the night, some of the units have a controller built in it to prevent the compressor from breaking down during heat waves; that is why they turn off and turn back on.

Orange County, CA
Reviewed August 4, 2012 via mobile

Dark hallways, non- working frig in room, old in need of a remodel. There is a sign on the building that reads newly remodeled. Apparently that refers to the flat panel TV as that is the only evidence we saw of something new in the hotel. They still use metal keys instead of key cards which reflects the lack of investment in the property.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Shilo I, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Newberg - Wine Country, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Hello Plenow,

I want to thank you letting us know about your recent visit to the Shilo Inns Suites in Newberg, Oregon. We really appreciate every comment each of our guest provide. It helps us to strive to provide the best service for each of our guest.

All of our rooms have been recently remodeled. The Carpet, Furniture & Drapery were all remodeled. I appreciate that you commented on the hallways. I will notify our corporate office and have them look into this issue. I was wondering if you brought the refrigerator issue up to the front desk agent, I am certain they would have either asked our maintenance crew to replace or repair the refrigerator or they would have switched you to a different room.

Thank you again for choosing the Shilo Inns Suites in Newberg and we hope you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Scott Fritscher
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newberg
Best Western Newberg Inn
McMinnville Inn
McMinnville Inn
#3 of 6 in McMinnville
GuestHouse Vineyard Inn McMinnville

Been to Holiday Inn Express Newberg - Wine Country? Share your experiences!