“Incredible staff, but nothing fancy”

Holiday Inn Express Newberg - Wine Country
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Newberg
Phoenix, Arizona
“Incredible staff, but nothing fancy”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

My husband, son and I recently stayed here when we visited George Fox University, which is just around the corner. The young man behind the desk was on the phone when we arrived, but he placed the other customer on hold so that he could check us in. He handled that situation perfectly and made us feel welcome right away. The lobby had a lot of personal touches, such as a clear glass container of ice water with lemons in it and another container with doggy treats. We helped ourselves to water and skipped the doggy treats since we had no pet, due to my allergies to dogs and cats. I DID ask ahead of time for a room that was not used for customers with pets, and my request was granted upon arrival. I never had any kind of reaction to pet dander while in my room.
As others have said, we received a key to our room--not the fancy card keys in most hotels these days. It felt funny, but we just took it all in stride. As we walked along the hallway, we could see that the carpet was very worn and the doors on the rooms were extremely dated. But, once we got into our room, we were pleasantly surprised at how spacious the room was and the good condition of most everything in the room. Yes, as others have said, the bed spreads and decor are dark, and not in a fashionable way. But, things were generally clean, including the bathroom, which I am VERY picky about. Btw, the room was so spacious that we could have easily fit a queen air mattress on the floor.
The one thing I had a hard time with in this room was the fact that the air conditioner turned on and off all night and kept waking me up. If you are a light sleeper, this could be a problem for you. There was no option on the unit to keep the fan running all night. The controls are not on a wall-mounted thermostat, but on the unit. You can choose heat or cool and high or low fan. There is no thermostat.
There is a nice size refrigerator and an additional sink in the room. It looks like a wet bar that is out of place. There are large cabinets that look like they should have pots and pans in them, too. It wasn't a problem, it just surprised us. We really enjoyed having the fridge. There was also a min microwave, which was nice.
The bathroom sink & mirror are separate from the tub & toilet, which we always like. The soap and other products were, as I had expected, not up to my standards, but I had brought my own shampoo, soap, etc. They provide minimal products, including a combination shampoo and conditioner. We just used the hand soap provided and left the rest.
Breakfast was big belgium waffles that each person made on their own--so delicious! Thankfully when we went down to the lobby there were very few people there. Otherwise, it would have been a long wait for a waffle. There were no hot eggs--just hard-boiled eggs in the refrigerator. There was also yogurt, cereal, toast and juice.
If we return to Newberg we will most likely stay there again. It was clean, quiet, and the staff was incredibly friendly.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Shilo I, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Newberg - Wine Country, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Good Morning Denise A,

I am so happy you felt very welcomed upon arrival, we all take pride in this hotel, I hope it shows. I want to thank you for the comment about our hallway carpet and the doors. I will address these issues with our corporate office. I ame glad you found our rooms to be spacious. I want to apologize for the air-conditioner turning off and on through the night, some of the units have a controller built in it to prevent the compressor from breaking down during heat waves; that is why they turn off and turn back on.

Guests love that we are the closest Hotel to George Fox University. Always ask for the George Fox Special when making your future reservation to visit George Fox University.

Scott Fritscher

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Orange County, CA
Reviewed August 4, 2012 via mobile

Dark hallways, non- working frig in room, old in need of a remodel. There is a sign on the building that reads newly remodeled. Apparently that refers to the flat panel TV as that is the only evidence we saw of something new in the hotel. They still use metal keys instead of key cards which reflects the lack of investment in the property.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Shilo I, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Newberg - Wine Country, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Hello Plenow,

I want to thank you letting us know about your recent visit to the Shilo Inns Suites in Newberg, Oregon. We really appreciate every comment each of our guest provide. It helps us to strive to provide the best service for each of our guest.

All of our rooms have been recently remodeled. The Carpet, Furniture & Drapery were all remodeled. I appreciate that you commented on the hallways. I will notify our corporate office and have them look into this issue. I was wondering if you brought the refrigerator issue up to the front desk agent, I am certain they would have either asked our maintenance crew to replace or repair the refrigerator or they would have switched you to a different room.

Thank you again for choosing the Shilo Inns Suites in Newberg and we hope you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Scott Fritscher

Travelers are raving about these Newberg hotels

Los Angeles
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed at the Shilo Inn. The staff was kind enough to move us to another room because the original room smelled like smoke (even though it is a non-smoking hotel). The room was fine and it was quiet. If we need to stay in Newberg another time we would most likely stay here again. The decor is not my personal taste, because it is very dark, but it was spacious and clean,.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Newberg - Wine Country, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Hello Hapi2travel,

I want to thank you letting us know about your recent visit to the Shilo Inns Suites in Newberg, Oregon. Our staff here really enjoys providing our guests with the best possible experience.

I am certainly glad our staff was able to move you to another room during a busy weekend. Yes we are a non-smoking hotel. We are glad you found the room to be spacious and clean. I apologize that you found the room to be very dark.

Hawaii
Reviewed June 7, 2012

We liked this hotel because it is close to George Fox University. The rooms were nice and clean. The internet was ok and the breakfast was good. The rooms are dark because there is not enough lights and the color sceme is dark. After staying at two other hotels in Newberg, we liked this one the best.

Room Tip: They give a discount if your child attends George Fox University.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
shiloinns, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Newberg - Wine Country, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Good Morning TW

I want to thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to let us
know about your recent visit to the Shilo Inns Suites in Newberg, Oregon. We
really appreciate every comment each of our guest provide. It helps us to
strive to provide the best service for each of our guest.

Our staff here really enjoys providing our guests with the best possible
experience. The experience should be like walking inside your own home and
kicking your shoes off to relax.

We are glad you found our rooms to be nice. Guests love that we are the
closest Hotel to George Fox University. Always ask for the George Fox
Special when making your future reservation to visit George Fox University.

Thank you again for choosing the Shilo Inns Suites in Newberg and we look
forward to having you as our guest again in the future.

Best Regards
Scott Fritscher - General Manager
Seattle
Reviewed February 13, 2012

The hotel was clean and neat. The rooms were spacious and affordable. The beds were extremely comfortable as well! We were attending a campus event at George Fox University so we were offered a special rate as well. The value is outstanding, especially for parents of prospective college students. Loved, loved, loved the coffee as we're from Seattle and generally hotel/motel coffee is weak or not outstanding. So nice to have that in light of the long days and short nights we experienced while we were in town. The staff was courteous and friendly and accommodating to all our requests and needs. Will definitely recommend to all who travel through the area.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank cd-seattle
shiloinns, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Newberg - Wine Country, responded to this review, February 15, 2012
Dear cd-seattle,

I want to thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to let us know about your recent visit to the Shilo Inns Suites in Newberg, Oregon.

Our staff here really enjoys providing our guests with the best possible experience, because you are busy with trying to get your child ready for college; and you don’t need any more stress. The experience should be like walking inside your own home and kicking your shoes off to relax.

We are glad you found the room very spacious and affordable. We love providing each guest the best comfort possible. Many guests have also mentioned that the coffee in the lobby and inside the rooms were wonderful too. They love the one cup maker system.

Thank you again for choosing the Shilo Inns Suites in Newberg and we look forward to having you as our guest again in the future. May you have a safe and wonderful traveling experience for your next visit!

Best Regards
Scott Fritscher - General Manager
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed August 19, 2011

Clean rooms, friendly and accommodating staff, nice complimentary breakfast. Nice to have a refrigerator and coffee maker in the rooms, as well as Wi-Fi.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
shiloinns, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Newberg - Wine Country, responded to this review, August 30, 2011
We really appreciate every comment each of our guest provide. It helps us to strive to provide the best service for each of our guest. I want to thank you for choosing Shilo Inns Suites in Newberg.
We were glad you found our staff friendly and accommodating. We love providing each guest the best comfort possible. Each of our rooms has a small studio refrigerator, coffee maker, microwave oven, hair dryer, iron & iron board; to help provide the convenience and comfort as like being at your own home.

We are currently featuring a wine tasting package, “Taste, Tour, & Tails” that includes cheese and wine tasting at local tasting rooms, horse carriage ride to various wineries, and overnight accommodations that you might enjoy. You can visit our website for further information or call us directly.

Scott
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed August 18, 2011

I can't say enough good things about this place, given that the price is so affordable. This hotel was just updated and they did a nice job. Rooms are also quite spacious and beds are comfortable. This is soooo central a location for trips to Oregon wine country!!! I had a great time staying there, and staff - from front desk, to GM, to housekeeping lead - were very pet-friendly and made my fur kids feel completely and totally at home. Fortunately, I have good pets, but they were excited to see my greyhounds daily, and I was thrilled to call this place home for the time I did. If anyone could balk at this place - for between $71 and $80 a night - I would faint dead. It's as nice as many $150 to $200 rooms in Portland and other cities, and offers you a nice place to stay while touring one of the most amazing places in the world - Oregon wine country!! Lavender in bloom, wine flowing, amazing food... this felt like a steal. I will stay here again and again. It's also not a bad cut-over through wine country and Forest Grove to the Oregon coast, and only took 90 minutes to hit the sand at Oswald State Beach. (Only possible suggestion might be changing the carpet in hallways in stairwell and second floor, since over time it takes on odors that even the best staff can't overcome - but trust me, that was a small deal compared to how great the hotel, location and staff are!)

Room Tip: Speak to any one of the friendly staff, but the one lady works M to F weekday mornings and is terrif...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent visit to the Shilo Inns Suites in Newberg.
The staff here really enjoys providing our guests with the best possible experience.
We enjoy the pets that tag along too. Our pets need to be spoiled and have vacation trips just like our guest. We are glad you found the room very comfortable and affordable.

Many of our guest also find the pet policy to be fantastic, but for those concerned please make to request a non pet room. We do have sections of the building we try not allow pets in for this reason.

Scott
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newberg
Best Western Newberg Inn
McMinnville Inn
McMinnville Inn
#3 of 6 in McMinnville
Newberg Travelodge Suites

Been to Holiday Inn Express Newberg - Wine Country? Share your experiences!