“Excellent Service”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Newberg
Lewiston, Idaho
“Excellent Service”
Reviewed June 15, 2011

Stayed for more than a week. Excellent service, pleasant personalities of those in charge. Clean pool area. Good amenities. Bed was very comfortable. Room was cleaned regularly but could use more "behind the furniture & in corners" cleaning. Very limited TV channels. Overall, for the price, a very pleasant experience for our long stay. Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Houston TX
Reviewed June 13, 2011

This is a very good motel for the price. It's clean, and conveniently located to Willamette Valley wineries. My room on the second floor was quiet, clean, and in good repair. The mini-fridge is a plus. The room had an air-freshened aroma that was OK for me. The hallway had a faint odor of cigarette smoke, due to a small number of smoking rooms at the other end of the corridor, but I didn't detect the smell in the room. The lobby is tiny. The clerk was friendly and efficient. There's a basic free breakfast. WiFi was free and worked fine. The property is set back from the road and thus fairly quiet (and also hard to spot from the road). My only complaints were that there's no elevator to the second floor, and that the bathroom towels are a joke, even for an inexpensive motel. A motel towel has to be big enough to encircle you once so you can leave the bathroom covered up if you want to, and just thick enough to absorb basic moisture. These towels fail even that minimum standard. But everything else is OK. There's plenty of parking, and nearby restaurants. The area seems completely safe. It isn't fancy, but everything is in good repair, clean, quiet, and comfortable. I can't think of a good reason to spend more if you just need a place to sleep.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
travel99w, General Manager at Newberg Travelodge Suites, responded to this review, June 21, 2011
We thank you very much for the feedback. We try not to increase the price on the weekends and summer.
Sonoma, California
Reviewed June 10, 2011

Let me preface this review with I am a former hotelier. I spent 17 years in the business, so if I seem bias, just read.

I pulled in Sunday to the Travelodge as a "walk in". Checking the rate prior to arrival, I had decided to check the place out before booking. Isabel at the desk was friendly, but did not have the tools to make things happen. I asked for a room for three nights at the triple AAA rate. She quoted me a rate higher than on the internet. I asked her if she would honor that rate. She stated she could not. So I asked, are you telling me if I go out to my car and book a room online I can then get the lower rate? Yep.....

So I did. Not only did I get a reduced rate, I did an advance booking from the parking lot and saved 20%. Next, I waited for 10 minutes for my reservation to appear. After getting checked in I went up to my room to find it dirty and several other rooms where the doors were open and the maid's cart, but no housekeepers. They were on lunch Isabel said. Would you like a room on the first floor. No, I am a single women traveling alone and need an upstairs room. After waiting another 15 minutes, I got into my room.

This transaction took an hour....

In deciding to extend my business I called down and as for 2 additional nights. The manager/owner told me the rate could be extended. I informed him that the rate on the internet had gone down and would he please honor the lower rate. No, I cannot do that. Then we had a go around regarding the rate, how he'd have to change me to a new room, that was smaller. I said, are you telling me that if I book a new reservation, then I'll get a lower rate. Yes but I will have to move you to a different room. After several minutes, he gave in and was so mad at me.

My issue with the property is that the lowest available rate, published either on the net or quoted on the phone should be honored. This manager/owner made it out that he was doing me a favor for allowing me to stay in the same room my entire stay. He complained that he had to upgrade another guest to accommodate my extended days. He complained to me how awful Travelodge was to deal with and as a former hotel owner I should understand wanting to maximize the room rate, the room not being ready at check in. He would never had argued with an innkeeper about rates.

Food for thought...
THE housekeeper I had rocked and did a great job.
I could walk to many restaurants easily.
Breakfast was inadequate for me.

I may stay here again as long as I pre-book to get the best rate. Overall it served my purpose and I did get good sleep, a clean room and internet for free....

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank wattz777
We thank the guest for her frank feedback. There are several types of reservation and hence we can not honour the internet rate as we will not know what kind of reservation he/ she looks into. For eg: pre paid reservation, stay two and save 20 %, hotel.com etc offer different kinds of bookings and rates. However the guest was given the same rate for the extended stay also, and as she did not come toe front desk to sign the credit card slip when checking out a receipt was e mailed to her for her information, how we honoured the same rate for her extended stay also.
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed May 24, 2011

I made a reservation on line two week prior to traveling to Newburg for memorial day weekend. I called to make sure the reservation was received and was informed that yes they had the reservation but it was cancelled. I asked why they stated they had issues running the card but they did not call to verify the information or to ask to use a different card or even to tell us we had no room. All of our contact information was provided via the online form we filled out.

Just bad service!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
travel99w, General Manager at Newberg Travelodge Suites, responded to this review, June 2, 2011
The reservation was an advance purchase reservation and the rate was 20% off for prepaying the same.. The credit card of the customer was declined by his cc company. This was informed to him by e mail on 05/05/11 itself and his reservation was for 05/28/11. The guest calls the property on 26th and he was informed that the reservation was cancelled and we are sold for that day and we do not have any rooms left. He states that he wanted to pay cash on arrival, which was not the case with this reservation.

Travelers are raving about these Newberg hotels

Yreka
Reviewed March 27, 2011

I am a Principal/Pastor of a school in California. For the last 15 years our school has traveled to George Fox University in Newberg, Oregon for an annual school competition.
We have stayed at the TravelLodge in Newberg each year over the last 15 years. The hotel manager and staff are very friendly and accommodating. We highly recommend this hotel if traveling through this area.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank joshua_hill_77
Newberg, Oregon
Reviewed March 16, 2011

I sought a clean and quiet room after a long day - this place met those needs. If every hotel were like this one I would be a permanent resident.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed February 6, 2011

I stayed here several times with my parents when they came into town to visit me at college and we never had any problems with the room, though breakfast is a bit bare. Never used the pool, but never was real impressed with the way it looked. Great location. And there are multiple parking lots and entrances so you're never far from your car and can quickly get in and out. However, I would never stay there again based solely on Management's rude response to a poor review a few months ago.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank lorfw87
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newberg
Best Western Newberg Inn
Shilo Inn Suites - Newberg
Comfort Inn & Suites McMinnville
Red Lion Inn & Suites McMinnville
GuestHouse Vineyard Inn McMinnville
Best Western Plus Northwind Inn & Suites

Been to Newberg Travelodge Suites? Share your experiences!