“Sharing my experience-you decide”

Newberg Travelodge Suites
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Newberg
Reviewed June 10, 2011

Let me preface this review with I am a former hotelier. I spent 17 years in the business, so if I seem bias, just read.

I pulled in Sunday to the Travelodge as a "walk in". Checking the rate prior to arrival, I had decided to check the place out before booking. Isabel at the desk was friendly, but did not have the tools to make things happen. I asked for a room for three nights at the triple AAA rate. She quoted me a rate higher than on the internet. I asked her if she would honor that rate. She stated she could not. So I asked, are you telling me if I go out to my car and book a room online I can then get the lower rate? Yep.....

So I did. Not only did I get a reduced rate, I did an advance booking from the parking lot and saved 20%. Next, I waited for 10 minutes for my reservation to appear. After getting checked in I went up to my room to find it dirty and several other rooms where the doors were open and the maid's cart, but no housekeepers. They were on lunch Isabel said. Would you like a room on the first floor. No, I am a single women traveling alone and need an upstairs room. After waiting another 15 minutes, I got into my room.

This transaction took an hour....

In deciding to extend my business I called down and as for 2 additional nights. The manager/owner told me the rate could be extended. I informed him that the rate on the internet had gone down and would he please honor the lower rate. No, I cannot do that. Then we had a go around regarding the rate, how he'd have to change me to a new room, that was smaller. I said, are you telling me that if I book a new reservation, then I'll get a lower rate. Yes but I will have to move you to a different room. After several minutes, he gave in and was so mad at me.

My issue with the property is that the lowest available rate, published either on the net or quoted on the phone should be honored. This manager/owner made it out that he was doing me a favor for allowing me to stay in the same room my entire stay. He complained that he had to upgrade another guest to accommodate my extended days. He complained to me how awful Travelodge was to deal with and as a former hotel owner I should understand wanting to maximize the room rate, the room not being ready at check in. He would never had argued with an innkeeper about rates.

Food for thought...
THE housekeeper I had rocked and did a great job.
I could walk to many restaurants easily.
Breakfast was inadequate for me.

I may stay here again as long as I pre-book to get the best rate. Overall it served my purpose and I did get good sleep, a clean room and internet for free....

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank wattz777
travel99w, General Manager at Newberg Travelodge Suites, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2011

We thank the guest for her frank feedback. There are several types of reservation and hence we can not honour the internet rate as we will not know what kind of reservation he/ she looks into. For eg: pre paid reservation, stay two and save 20 %, hotel.com etc offer different kinds of bookings and rates. However the guest was given the same rate for the extended stay also, and as she did not come toe front desk to sign the credit card slip when checking out a receipt was e mailed to her for her information, how we honoured the same rate for her extended stay also.

Reviewed May 24, 2011

I made a reservation on line two week prior to traveling to Newburg for memorial day weekend. I called to make sure the reservation was received and was informed that yes they had the reservation but it was cancelled. I asked why they stated they had issues running the card but they did not call to verify the information or to ask to use a different card or even to tell us we had no room. All of our contact information was provided via the online form we filled out.

Just bad service!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
travel99w, General Manager at Newberg Travelodge Suites, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2011

The reservation was an advance purchase reservation and the rate was 20% off for prepaying the same.. The credit card of the customer was declined by his cc company. This was informed to him by e mail on 05/05/11 itself and his reservation was for 05/28/11. The guest calls the property on 26th and he was informed that the reservation was cancelled and we are sold for that day and we do not have any rooms left. He states that he wanted to pay cash on arrival, which was not the case with this reservation.

Reviewed March 27, 2011

I am a Principal/Pastor of a school in California. For the last 15 years our school has traveled to George Fox University in Newberg, Oregon for an annual school competition.
We have stayed at the TravelLodge in Newberg each year over the last 15 years. The hotel manager and staff are very friendly and accommodating. We highly recommend this hotel if traveling through this area.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank joshua_hill_77
Reviewed March 16, 2011

I sought a clean and quiet room after a long day - this place met those needs. If every hotel were like this one I would be a permanent resident.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed February 6, 2011

I stayed here several times with my parents when they came into town to visit me at college and we never had any problems with the room, though breakfast is a bit bare. Never used the pool, but never was real impressed with the way it looked. Great location. And there are multiple parking lots and entrances so you're never far from your car and can quickly get in and out. However, I would never stay there again based solely on Management's rude response to a poor review a few months ago.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank lorfw87
Reviewed November 28, 2010

We have stayed at this hotel before and returned because of the value and service. We will continue to stay here in the future. The customer service was great, the rooms were clean and comfortable. the breakfast had healthy choices as well as more traditional fare. The exercise room had good equipment which worked properly and my wife enjoyed the heated pool.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2010

Stayed there one night after a wine tasting trip through Williamette Valley. Room was clean and comfortable and had a good bathroom. They had a good continental breakfast but nothing unusual. Room had a small microwave and fridge but fridge was very noisy and caused difficulty sleeping. Room was on 2nd floor and they have no elevator so had to drag luggage and stuff up and down the stairs. Hotel is fortunately located at the end of town where most of the good restaurants are.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newberg
Best Western Newberg Inn
Holiday Inn Express Newberg - Wine Country
Comfort Inn & Suites McMinnville
Red Lion Inn & Suites McMinnville
GuestHouse Vineyard Inn McMinnville
McMinnville Inn
McMinnville Inn
#4 of 6 in McMinnville

Been to Newberg Travelodge Suites? Share your experiences!