“Be sure to buy food before you get there”
Review of Oregon Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mitchell
Oregon Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mitchell
Reviewed June 8, 2011

My friends and I rented the kitchenette rooms in the back after getting rained out of our camping trip to the Fossil Beds area. The units were old but very clean. They reminded my of some old vacation cabins from my childhood. The shower was metal, but in good condition. There was wireless internet that needed to be reset periodically by the owner. The owners and other locals were very friendly. The old hotel was also clean and comfortable. The rooms were well kept and the shared bath was spotless. It was great fun in the evening to socialize with the other guests and locals on the big front porch. I would definitely suggest buying food in one of the bigger towns (John Day or Prineville) as the dining and shopping options in Mitchell are not good.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank camperkat
There are newer reviews for Oregon Hotel

Reviewed May 31, 2011

This hotel is also some kind of a hostel, so there are different types of rooms. We stayed in a room without a private bathroom, but we were the only guests so that wasn't a problem. The room was spacious, but basic. No TV et cetera. Service was kind, but a bit aloof.

Breakfast was very simple, just coffee and a muffin.
Mitchell is a very small town, this hotel is located at the 'business loop' but most stores are closed. Staying in Mitchell is kind a staying in a ghost town to be. The bar next door is nice, lot's of locals, friendly and decent food. Painted Hills are nearby.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PaulG78
Reviewed May 30, 2011

This is a wonderful, homey, cozy, old-fashioned hotel. It's clean, it smells good, it feels well-loved and cared for, and Skeeter and her daughters do a wonderful job of welcoming guests and caring for them.

I stayed in a budget room (no private bath), but the public bathroom was kept spotless despite a full house for Memorial Day weekend.

Mitchell used to be a logging town, and there are actual historical photos of the loggers on the walls, as well as a piano and a breezy but protected front porch for watching the small-town shenanigans, such as they are.

The real draw is one of the most spectacular natural wonders on the planet, which has mostly been kept a secret: the very beautiful Painted Hills, only ten minutes away. The Painted Hills should be on everyone's bucket list: ranges of ochre hills gashed with deep yellow in bands going back about 33 million years. The hills are REMOTE. In order to see them, you have two choices: stay in Mitchell and be able to get there in no time when the light changes; or stay an hour or two away, in Fossil, Prineville, or John Day--and forget about taking advantage of the spectacular weather events: storms, rainbows, sudden splashes of sunshine that make the hills POP.

Room Tip: Best and quietest rooms are downstairs.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
14  Thank Pilgrim2
Reviewed May 29, 2011

Mitchell is in the middle of Oregon, the nearest large town is fifty miles away and is pop 6000+. The Painted Hills, a tremendous attraction for photographers and painters are only seven miles away. Close to the John Day Fossil Beds. Definitely off the beaten path, and you do not want to be here during the heat of summer. Spring or Fall are the times to visit. All these are givens.
With those givens understood, this hotel is cleaner than clean, the price is right, the toilets and sinks work, there is a restaurant next door, which is closed sometimes and closes early--7:30. ask the hotel lady about the gasoline across the street, visit the Painted Hills early in the morning or at dusk, sit on the large front porch and read, talk, or play on the computer.
The continental breakfast is large buns and coffee. Worked for me, along with my hard boiled egg.
These are real nice folks here, and it is a true piece of old style oregon.

Room Tip: LOL! As for one with a private bath.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank LollyWAStateUSA
Reviewed August 30, 2010

I loved my stay at the oregon hotel in Mitchell Oregon. I love the fact that it is historical and the homie feeling you felt when you stayed. Ma and pa who own the place are very nice and full of information. I was told the place was built in 1936, it was very cute and all the rooms had their own theme which made it a lot different from all the other places we have stayed. It was very clean and they served muffins and coffee or hot tea and Hot coco. If I had it to do all over agian I would stay. If you want a western feel get away go to the Oregon Hotel and stay.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pumkinBend
Reviewed June 10, 2010

I chose this as a B+B nearest to the Painted Hills. It looked quirky and unusual and it sure was. The things I fully understand a hotel of this age cannot do anything about are the walls made of wooden plywood which are paper thin. You could her a pin drop upstairs or next door. The other guests were howevr very quiet and respectful. What I did love was Mitchell. It was like a film set from How the West was Won. The next door bar and restaurant run by Mickey was great. He was an amazing character and the food was fine. You could even hitch your "hoss" to the railings. The general stores probably last did a stock take in about 1945. It sold about everythnig you could ever want!! The Oregon Hotel was pleasant looking. It had free WiFi. On a quiet loop away from the main road. I can only assume the place is owned and run by 2 generations. Mum and Dad and then either daughter or daughter in law and son/son in law. Younger daughter had 2 children. As we checked in , she bored me telling me all about her hay fever allergies and intermitently yelling loudly at her 2 kids, going out to their private quaters to do something for them or quieten the ferocious barkings of a huge mastif dog. She paid ZERO attention to me or the other guests checking in. We were given a key, our room was pointed to... we were not shown to our rooms or shown anything at all. We had to do all the asking- where was there somewhere to eat, when was breakfast etc??. She was rude and abrupt. The room was adequate, clean and the bath an old fashoined quaint roll top iron bath with adequate hot water. The towels were old and thin but clean. Breakfast is a complete joke to even call it that or include it in the price. It consisted of coffee set out in the sitting room ( no idea when it was put on -probably the night before) and a heap of cling filmed covered muffins with a note TELLING you to take only one. The coffee only had powdered milk and straws to stir it with. It all semed that it was just too much bother. There was no information on the Painted Hills. No engagement with the guetst at all. The porch and inside sitting area was clean and comforatble and especialy the porch was a very pleasant place to sit in a chair, or at the table or in the rocking chair. If you are going to charge an all inclusive price for breakfast then put the price up by $5 and add cereal, proper milk, fruit and fruit juice if you want to make it easier on yourself. And maybe take some lessons in customer service!!! If I was anyone thinking of booking this place -then DONT!!! Move on or find somewhere else to stay. The problem is there isn't anywhere else nearby so they can get away with a sloppy attitude and bad service.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank kootenaylass
Reviewed October 13, 2009

We enjoy looking for lodging establishments that are family owned over hotel chains. We liked the look and history of the Oregon Hotel from what we saw online. The hotel lobby was nicely furnished and we stayed in room #2 which had a private bath, TV and John Wayne images on the wall. The bathroom didn't have a shower, but after a hot afternoon of hiking at the John Day Fossil Beds National Park, a bath felt really nice. While the tub had a leak, there was a pie tin under it to catch water when it drained. Unfortunately, the bed was not comfortable and I had a bad night's sleep. I could also hear when people upstairs walked around in their room or in the hall. I like the idea of this hotel. The price is not bad and it's very close to the Painted Hills Unit of the John Day Fossil Beds, but I think I would try somewhere else before coming back here.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank NPS_Tumbleweeds

Been to Oregon Hotel? Share your experiences!