“Horrific Bland NO Class”
Review of Galice Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Merlin
Galice Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Merlin
Reviewed September 17, 2012

This place is horrible! The food is disgusting! There burgers taste like they picked up some roadkill and threw it on the grill with a slice of cheese on top! (This almost made me puke) After taking a peak into the kitchen through the back window on the deck, i found out that the Flies eat half of your burger before you get it! On top of that you have to wait at least 30-45 minutes before you can even order your roadkill! I drove all the way out there to enjoy what other reviewers said to be a great meal and a fun day on the river, but after eating the food I couldn't begin to think about getting into a raft! So for all you travelers, i would Strongly advise you to bring your own food or choose another resort.

Room Tip: Don't even consider staying here!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Providencia R
There are newer reviews for Galice Resort

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Galice Resort is an eclectic place full of river guides and river rafters taking a break after taking advantage of the Rogue River and all of its activities. The resort is comprised of cabins and bunk houses -- some of which are directly on the river. If you are used to a 4 or 5 star hotel, you might be a bit horrified. But for the area, Galice Resort provides all you need for a good stay including comfortable beds and clean facilities. There is a restaurant serving breakfast burritos to oatmeal in the morning and salads, burgers, hummus and sandwiches for lunch/dinner. On Saturday nights, there is frequently live music by a local band. When we were there, it was a country band that played a lot of tunes that people knew and danced to on the beautiful, large deck overlooking the river. It was a lot of fun with so many people from different avenues and ages.

Galice Resort has a store to get a few things you forgot when getting on a river and some last minute items and refreshments including beer and wine. T-shirts, bug spray and sun screen are available as well.

For a $100 each way and a call to the Galice Resort, you can reserve a shuttle from/to the Medford Airport. This was an ideal choice for our group who was going on a wilderness rafting trip. Both drivers we had were exceptionally responsible and willing to make brief stops in the town of Grants Pass to pick up a few supplies at a Fred Meyer (a wal-mart like store).

Galice Resort also organizes rafting trips -- although I didn't raft with them because I had rafted with another company and arranged the trip through them. They did seem to be doing a lot of business in this area too.

Overall, it was a perfectly good place to stay before and after a wilderness rafting trip down the lower Rogue River (which I also highly recommend).

Room Tip: Visit the Galice Resort website for descriptions of the cabins and their location.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 14, 2012 via mobile

Stayed in 2 different cabins...reasonably clean but one smelled so intensely of cleaning fluid it was impossible to clear. Beds both had valleys. Outside was completely neglected...like somebody didn't care... for the last decade or so. Sort of rediculous to have to drive to eat across the road. Loud music til 9:30 on Sat... Dinner food was good. Breakfast was inedible... which is saying something. This place seems to be all about the restaurant and deck and beer sales... all else is in disrepair. Too bad somebody doesn't care. Rooms don't have a river view. I will stay elsewhere next time.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank LatrobeTraveler
Reviewed August 12, 2012

OK so the room was fine when we got there, totally cute, with paneled walls. There were ample sleeping places (a bed and a bunk-bed) and the outdoor space was neat; a little porch with a bench which was a perfect height for me - yay! No Adirondac chairs!

I use a wheeled walker to get around and had called ahead after viewing their website photos, to ask for a specific cabin - the one with the smaller steps. The woman on the phone, when asked, said they'd be happy to put a ramp up to the room with some plywood, and I thought this was a great idea! I called a week ahead to confirm and the voice on the phone said "you don't need to confirm", ending the conversation.

I got there and there was no ramp. I was able to get in to the room because I still have some use of my legs and could hold on to the doorway and pull myself up. To be fair, I didn't go back to ask for a ramp or additional help, I had just driven 527 miles and it was 104 degrees. The front and rear door to the cabin had only "privacy" locks, and the front door was extremely difficult to open. We ended up taking our valuables with us and leaving the room open when we were gone.

The room had an air conditioner, which was great. And a mini-fridge, super. No coffee maker, which meant a climb up and down in the AM for $1 coffee from the restaurant. The distance from management and the extremity of the climb to the rooms meant we didn't "go back to ask" about a lot of things. I felt trapped, unable to do the climb, unwilling to start the car to simply go ask for a trash bag. Luckily my able-bodied Mom was willing to make the coffee hike on the 3 mornings we were there :)

We left to go rafting in the morning, leaving the room neat but expecting housekeeping to come empty the trash and perhaps change a washcloth or two. We got back at 5pm and found that nobody had touched the room. The trash cans (there was one in the room and one in the bathroom) were overflowing and the towels still hung on the bedposts of our mostly unmade beds. I totally *get* the minimal housekeeping thing, but truly believe that garbage needs to be taken out on a daily basis, especially from a cabin in the woods. The second day when we came in there was a trail of those big black foresty ants in the bathroom on the wall and in the ceiling crease. We left them alone and they left in the night, but I seriously expected them to find the trash cans and help themselves.

So the good - it was quaint, bed was very comfortable, outside porch was nice (if it had been cooler out, it would make a nice extension to the living space). We did choose to drive down to the restaurant and have dinner there one night. We got there just as the rush was finishing and found out later that our grumpy waitress had been on shift too long and hadn't eaten yet - she is totally forgiven :). The food was good, and filling, and the beer was cold. The price was reasonable, especially considering it's the only place for miles.

And the bad - no housekeeping at this price seems weird. We stayed 3 nights. Perched up on a hillside, as a disabled traveller I was trapped. I would have put a strip or 2 of non-skid something in the shower, as it was a small fully-contained unit and extremely slippery. A grab bar in the bathroom and an easy ramp would make this room much more accessible. (They do have an accessible unit, where the grandmother used to live, but it was occupied when we were there.)

Not the worst place I've stayed, for sure. The scenery is spectacular, and it was lovely and quiet. But certainly not up to "resort" standards.

Room Tip: Ask for a newer, renovated cabin, or a room with a kitchenette - they're available but not to pe...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank BelizetoCA
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We were very pleased to find a simple, clean cabin, to rest up in before our 4 day backpack down the Rogue River Trail. The restaraunt as just as we expected. Veggie Burger, Fries and Salad ! Just what we needed to fuel up the night before. Got up early, had a great breakfast (prices COULD have been much higher than they are, good deal...coffee only $1!) then drove our car to the trailhead.
We took advantage of the Galice Resort shuttle service and was very pleased at the rate and the service. They even left candy for us after we picked up the car (at the correct trailhead and earlier than our stated time!) we left explicit instructions on how to leave the car. As experienced hikers we know cars can be a prime break-in target so we cleaned it out and asked Galice to leave all the glove boxes open and center console open (to show we had nothing worth stealing). All done as requested.
Cabin was simple and clean. We picked up some drinks (from Galice Resort store) to keep in the small fridge. Nice back deck off the cabin, small but adequate bathroom, radio. No TV in cabin #3 (not sure about the others), but there is one in the full bar attached to the restaraunt.
All in all better than expected. Good Prices and Good Service.

Room Tip: Cabin #3 has a double bed and a set of single bunks. No river view, No TV
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Martha J
Reviewed June 15, 2012

There are few places more peaceful than the deck at the Galice Resort Resaurant and we have had nothing but scrumptous food and attentive service on each and every trip. We look forward to our visit every year. The place has a laid-back, relaxed feel which is what one expects from a remote river santuary. I always return home with that just-right, perfect vacation feeling and immediately begin planning by next visit. See you in July!

Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 22, 2012

I had my first rafting experience last summer at Galice. Afterwards we ate at the restaurant, we had great service and the food was delicious. Also, we got to listen to live music while sitting on the deck over-looking the river. The whole experience was fantastic! CANNOT wait to go back!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Merlin
Riverside Inn
#7 of 18 in Grants Pass
Shilo Inn Grants Pass
Shilo Inn Grants Pass
#14 of 18 in Grants Pass

Been to Galice Resort? Share your experiences!