“A wonderful surprise!”

Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Medford
Aptos, California
“A wonderful surprise!”
Reviewed July 13, 2014

We were traveling North and picked a town at the approximate right distance - Medford. We looked for a reasonably priced hotel and found this. What a surprise! The room was comfortably adequate having recently been refurbished. The bed wonderful and the bathroom large - what can we say more! But the big surprise was the restaurant, Larks. This made the night. Great service, great food - we will be back. The whole package was so great and really worth the cost. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: The restaurant, Larks, make this a perfect combination!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JBee_8

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
Reviewed July 10, 2014

Another Softball tournament brought us to the Inn at The Commons for our second stay. Previously it was the Red Lion. This hotel does not impress at first glance but don't let looks deceive you. It may look like a motel but it's a great place to stay. Our room was clean, quiet, and the bed was comfortable. The rooms are decent size and I like that they have a vanity both in the bathroom and outside of it. Rooms have been updated since our last stay. Nice clean soft carpet, flat screen tv on the wall, microwave and fridge. Free Wi fi works great. Balcony view of creek a plus. The main doors need to be oiled and sealed as they are very squeaky and you can see a gap around the door seal. We had the continental breakfast one day and it was great. Bacon, sausage, real eggs, potatoes, and the other usual breakfast items. It was well kept and well stocked. The kids loved the outside pool as Medford is hot this time of year. This will be our go to hotel in Medford. Great value for the money.

Room Tip: Upper level if you don't mind stairs are quieter.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
University Heights, Ohio
Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

It doesn't look like much from the outside, and the priced are pretty low, but both times now that I've stayed at this hotel, I was impressed. I've only stayed one night both times (and never tried the food due to my fiancé's dietary restrictions which make many things difficult and hotel continental breakfasts basically impossible)...however, I'm guessing that staying longer would also be pleasant.
There's no conditioner provided, so bring your own. The shampoo and soap are very nice and smell quite good, though. And the color scheme of the shower in our room was somehow very calming. I also appreciate that they had glass water glasses and ceramic mugs rather than plastic and paper.
The staff is very friendly. We stopped there for a night after driving for 5 hours from California, and when the desk clerk saw my Washington ID she upgraded us from the Queen that we booked to a King because she wanted us to be able to relax more easily.
Anyway, I highly recommend this for anyone traveling through southern Oregon.

• Stayed June 2014
Berwick upon Tweed, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

As I arrived at the Inn my heart sank. From the outside it looks like a low rent motel however that is not the case once inside.

I was made to feel very welcome in the lobby which is large and bright.

The rooms have balconies and inside are clean, comfortable and well equipped. I had a great night's sleep.

Outside there is a pool and an seating area if the weather is nice -not something you would expect at this kind of establishment.

An unusual feature is the hotel restaurant. It's not run by the hotel but leased out to a local chef. The food is upscale local, fresh and seasonal. Do try it if you stay.

The hotel breakfast was not provided by the chef and was typical for this type of hotel.

Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank adsk
Eugene
Reviewed June 16, 2014

We have stayed here many times before when it was Red Lyon. We were attending the Medford Cruise June 14, 2014. We stayed for 2 nights. I had read some of the reviews about the Inn At The Commons and thought, lets give this a try. I loved all the updates. The rooms look fantastic, the beds are very comfortable. The pillows are OK, they give you a lot of them--6 small pillows for a King Bed. I am picky about my pillows, and I would have liked 4 nice King sized pillows--I sometimes bring my own pillow because I am picky about pillows. The carpet is excellent and a well done. They now have all new Flat Screen TV's. We did not use the Wifi, I like a secure network so I used my Verizon on my iPad instead. They were very busy--Father's Day weekend, but our room was ready early and I appreciated that. The rooms were exceptionally clean!

It was such a nice surprise to see how well everything turned out. The Front Desk Staff are extremely helpful, kind and always greet you with a smile! The breakfast in the morning is great and they have a nice selection for breakfast. There are also places to eat if you want to walk to them. We would stay here again for sure!

Room Tip: We stayed on the Creek Side and has a nice view of Hawthorne Park--those rooms are quitter I feel...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Vancouver
Reviewed June 10, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 5 days for an event being held at the hotel. Overall, the experience was very good. The room rates are very reasonable, staff is friendly and helpful, and the restaurant is excellent. The big downside is the layout and location of the property. Most of the rooms are located in two buildings that are separated from the main one. Our room (which was quite nice inside) required a walk across a parking lot that looked quite a bit like a prison yard to get to the lobby. The outside décor of the buildings is pretty depressing and there is not a stick of landscaping to make it more welcoming. Additionally, the rooms in the rear "creekside" building open onto the underside of a freeway overpass. The noise actually wasn't bad but it's not exactly scenic. Once we got used to the slightly industrial outside experience, the Inn actually worked well for us as a base.

Room Tip: Try for a room by the pool
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Talentimo
Beacon, New York
Reviewed June 3, 2014

I know they are in the process of renovating and upgrading the hotel. Our *first* room was on the ground floor. When we walked in, it smelled like a litter box, so we decided to open the door (no screen) and hoped that would work. We had to go out and turned on the air hoping that would help. When we returned later, the room smelled even worse. In the morning we were moved upstairs and while this room did not smell quite as bad, it definitely had an odor. I asked the front desk about it and he said it must be from the old air conditioners. For the next two days, I imagined the moldy (and it smelled of old mold) air filtering through us. The bathroom shower/tub had black mold on the tiles. Staff was great - but the hotel and the cleanliness just did not feel good. I suppose you get what you pay for. I wish the patio doors had screens, it would have been nice to air the room out. We were there for a business trip, but if you are there with KIDS -- they will have fun. If you are not there with kids, it is KID LOUD up until when the pool closes at 10pm - but that is not a bad thing. Kids are having fun. The beds are COMFY!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business