“Horrible interaction upon checkout”

TownePlace Suites Medford
Ranked #16 of 35 Hotels in Medford
“Horrible interaction upon checkout”
Reviewed May 16, 2014

My hotel was booked by my company and I wasn't sure if I would be getting 2 queens or just 1 in the room. I called the 1-800 number from the hotel website to check and they said it would be 2 queens. I got there, checked in and found it to be only 1 queen. I went back to the front desk and the girl sighed and said it happens all the time and that the only rooms with 2 beds are 2-bedroom suites. She offered a second room (no clue if she was offering for free or not) and I declined.
The best part about the room was the ridiculously comfortable bed. The bathtub/shower floor was badly stained to the point that it appeared dirty. The rest of the room was clean.
Now for the reason for the review... On my last morning at the hotel (which was this morning, 5/16/14) I woke up to the invoice slid under the door. I glanced at it, not too concerned as it was being paid for by my employer. Luckily I happened to notice a $25 pet fee snuck on there. I have a dog but he was 250 miles away at the moment. I figured it was some clerical error and wasn't too worried. I went about my business, packed my car up and went to the front desk to check out. I brought up the pet fee added and she said she had walked by my room and heard barking. I, super confused, tried to think of what the heck she was talking about. Then it clicked! I was watching some horrible reality show about animal hoarding. I told her and she proceeded to argue with me stating something about the barking being timed or something. Finally, after offering her the option to search my vehicle and the room, she dropped the charge.
It would have been one thing if she had called or came to my room and asked if I had a dog... But just sneaking the charge on the bill and then essentially calling me a liar was when I got upset. So, take warning future visitors... Watching Lassie or Old Yeller could land you and additional pet fee upon check out.

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank Jeannaynay
Brooks M, Manager at TownePlace Suites Medford, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
We are very sorry for the unpleasant experience you had at our hotel! We have reviewed your comments with our team in order to make sure that this situation is not repeated for future guests. Please feel free to call our management team at your convenience in order for us to more adequately address your concerns. We'd love the opportunity to make this right with you! Thank you for staying with us, and please accept our apologies for this inconvenience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Simi Valley, California
Reviewed May 11, 2014

First off the room was clean....OK, I'll stay.
Bed was very, very soft. Like sleeping on a marshmallow and a queen for 2 was way too small. One would move, the other was ready to roll out of bed.
Cute but tiny room. Nice that it had a mini kitchen.
Very little parking as it's currently under renovation..
A bit pricey for what you get.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kernvilledaddy
Brooks M, Manager at TownePlace Suites Medford, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Thank you for staying with us! We're happy you found your suite to be clean and pleased you enjoyed the kitchen. We're sorry, however, that you not did find the bed to be comfortable. We are replacing our mattresses as part of our current renovation, so hopefully you will be able to come back and let us know if you like them better! Thank you for writing this review. We hope to see you again soon!
Alberta, Canada
Reviewed March 23, 2014

A good hotel, a little ways from downtown, but comfortable. Try for a room facing the parking lot, because the other side has LOTS of traffic noise. We asked to be changed from our first assignment, and got a much better room from the friendly (if distracted: she had a boyfriend at her desk) front desk staffperson.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Brooks M, Manager at TownePlace Suites Medford, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Thank you for staying with us! We're pleased you found our hotel comfortable. We are very sorry for any inconvenience switching rooms may have caused, but we are glad we were able to find a room that worked for you. We're also happy you found our front desk staff friendly but apologize for the distraction that occurred during your interaction. We will make sure to review your comments with the front desk team in order to prevent this type of situation from happening again in the future. Thank you for taking the time to write this review, and we hope to see you again soon!
Camas, Washington
Reviewed February 28, 2014

I've stayed at the town place on a few occasions and continue to be surprised that the staff is so friendly and cheerful. They seem concerned for your well being and almost dare I say mom like making sure everything is aok. Currently the third floor is under renovation and the contractor will be working their way down to the first floor (the front desk mentioned about 45-60 more days to finish the whole project) which I didn't know when I made my reservation but the staff handled it like pros and I even found the contractors to be friendly as well. Not my favorite breakfast I think someone mention it as adequate and at least you know what you will get each morning. I like that they keep apples and bananas available all the time as I'm always looking for something sweet when I travel and the fruit saves me from the candy options in the lobby. I've never met the GM but figure they must have a great hiring formula because all of the staff seems to have a consistent theme...welcome home glad to have you staying with us!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Jim S
Thank you for taking the time to write this review, Jim! We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and we're pleased our renovation did not negatively affect your stay with us. You'll be pleased to know that we will be expanding our breakfast area later this year as well as our breakfast offerings. We hope you'll come back once the project is complete to see all of the changes!

We're thrilled you found our staff so helpful; we are truly fortunate to have such an outstanding group of associates working at our hotel. We'll make sure your comments are passed along to the entire team at our morning meeting. Thank you for staying with us, and we hope to see you again soon!
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed January 27, 2014

The TownePlace Suites is always our lodging choice when traveling from Seattle to California. Exceptionally clean, well equipped mini-kitchen with fridge, stove-top, dishwasher, microwave and dishes. Comfortable small living area with small couch and desk. Staff very friendly and breakfast bar is complete. The TownePlace accepts pets and the grounds are grassy with pet bags and the outside is very well kept. Within walking distance to shopping including WalMart, Fred Meyer Groceries and Gas Stations.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from street side.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Brooks M, Manager at TownePlace Suites Medford, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We are pleased to here that you return to us every time you make the long drive. We're glad you enjoyed the kitchen and living area in our suites, as well as our daily breakfast. Our staff is indeed quite friendly, and we love pets! Hopefully we'll see you on your return trip. Safe travels!
Half Moon Bay, California
Reviewed January 20, 2014

There are lots of good things about this hotel, and that is why it has been by Go-To place when visiting the Rogue Valley over the past few years.

The pros:
Generally, the rooms have been very clean. The free breakfast is a simple, but sufficient: hard boiled eggs, oatmeal, yogurt, dry cereal and milk, bagels. It's easy to get to, right off I-5, and there is always plenty of parking. The in-room kitchenette is handy, and shopping is nearby (walking distance if you're not carrying anything too heavy.) The front desk personnel are friendly. And finally, for an additional fee, your pet can stay with you. Lots of closet space, but bring some hangers from home if you have more than a few things to hang up.

The cons:
Rooms on the street side of the hotel are very noisy, as are rooms next to the stairs. There is one elevator, and it can be quite a shlep to your room with groceries and luggage if you're on the opposite side of the hotel. The rooms are pretty small, and you'll be packed in like sardines if you need to use the pull out sofabed. Tiny counter space in the bathrooms. The friendly office staff may mean well, but tend not to follow through on room requests (ie, away from the street).

As of January 2014, they are doing renovations that may impact the quality your stay. Call ahead to be informed of noise and other potential disruptions.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the parking lot are quieter. Rooms #207 and #307 are slightly larger, and, have an ove...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for staying with us, Martha, and also for taking the time to write this review! We appreciate the constructive feedback and will make sure our team is aware of issues you highlighted. Despite those issues, we are glad we've been your "go to place" when in the Rogue Valley. Hopefully we stay that way and we see you again soon!
San Francisco
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I stayed here with my family and it is relatively new and very clean. This is a really good option when driving up the highway to or from Portland. Staff was helpful. The area around the hotel is somewhat busy which may make it noisy sometimes although we didn't experience this.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for writing this review. Hopefully we see you again soon!