“calamari so good!”

Cuisines: American
Roseburg
“calamari so good!”
Reviewed May 17, 2014

My friends and I were in town for the color run. They asked the front desk agent at our hotel for somewhere to be able to have a local beer and sit outside, they recommended Howlee's. We arrived late afternoon, we sat outside on the patio, which was very nice and had a few of the local brews and two orders of their fried calamari with lemon, garlic, capers sauce. Oh, my, it has been several hours since I ate it and I am thinking about how great it was.

Interesting décor, old record albums. Cool, fun vibe.

• Visited May 2014

Medford, Oregon
“Fabulous Fat Tuesday”
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Howiee's on Front decided to do something special for Fat Tuesday. Kitchen mgr Justin did a remarkable job of putting together an authenic & great tasting Cajun menu. I started off with a bowl of gumbo @$6.50 that was excellent. I then went for the Hoppin John that had a lot of black eyed peas, bacon, fish and several big pork shanks. It was almost more than I could eat, but quite tasty. My friend had the Live crawfish boil, which we were told got flown in from Louisiana that morning. He not only received the crawfish, but it also came with sausage, potatoes, corn on the cob & cornbread. At $10.00 I don't know howiees could make a profit. Fun crowd overall and numerous other cajun menu items looked to be popular for this event. I'll be back soon to try their regular southern menu like Cajun catfish, jambalaya, or bourbon prawns.

• Visited March 2014
Oregon, United States
“Always fun”
Reviewed February 14, 2014

Nice hangout place in downtown Medford. Good munchies, large selections of beers and mixed drinks. New room for local acts and dancing. Pool tables, outdoor seating.Not much nightlife in Medford, but this place is a good bet.

Visited November 2013
Medford, Oregon
“Not what I expected-in a good way”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

A friend of mine and I were in the mood to go to some place new. After reading the reviews on the Texas Roadhouse and figuring out that Buffalo Wild Wings was not open yet, we opted for Howees on Front. We both have lived in Medford for years and I had not been in the door. First, it was much larger than I expected This place combines what we perceived to be originally three separate businesses now joined into one. I thought it would be dark but it was well lit and well appointed. There was not too much on the menu for sharing so we settled on Chili Nachos. "We don't do that any more" our server said. So we ended up with Red Beans and Rice Nachos. Perhaps they were supposed to arrive cold but I don't think so. Pretty good flavor, none the less. Beer was moderately priced and service was decent. We think it is worth another visit.

• Visited August 2013
Portland, Oregon
“Great food, nice people, interesting bar”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

First of all, I rarely do corporate, chain dining. And whenever possible, I go for downtown venues, more often bars. Some of the best food I've ever had was in taverns. Wife and I were travelling to Lake of the Woods in southern Oregon from our home on Washington State. So after 6 hours of I-5 strapped in the cabin of my tertiary land rocket we stopped in downtown Medford. I'm not good at manipulated my factory installed GPS, so we just set it for Main Street, with and alternative of Front Street, depending on my knowledge of every town having at least a Front and Main. First i saw a depot turned restaurant, and although I have fond memories of riding Amtrak, often railroad depots turn restaurant are big on ambience (and rent) less on food. I don't know if this was the case in Medford. We didn't eat there.

It took some adjustment once inside from mile markers whizzing by at 80 mph to interior lights. My brains was still moving at that clip. Inteseting decor. You'd have to be over 45 or at least have some memory of vinyl, the sixties or seventies. I imagine this is what a Hard Rock Cafe would look like. I don't know. See above. I've never been to one. The ceiling were at least fourteen feet as is often the case in old. brick downtwon building. Suspended from the ceiling were record album covers, probably ones that he/she didn't feel like saving in their collection. I remember seeing Donna Summer and the Four Freshman. Covering the walls were promotional posters from bands that played locally (famous [now] national bands) like Pat Travers, Styx, Foreigner. I know, I should have taken pictures. There were also guitars on the wall, above the bar from famous folks, possibly for sale.

Food: we ordered a catfish po' boy and a muffaletta. The catfish was lightly breaded on a light ciabatta sourdough with slaw, and the muffaletta had mortadella, coppa and a nice olive/mustard tapenade - same bread. We got slaw as a side and it came in that standard soup cup ramekin but overflwoing. I think with lemondae and unsweetened iced tea the price was 22 dollars. It was a great meal, a fun little place and a big menu. I wish they had a website.

I would definately recommend.

• Visited July 2013