“South Lost Again!!!”

Motel 6 Medford South
Ranked #30 of 35 Hotels in Medford
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My husband and I were vacationing and headed to the Oregon coast from Crater Lake a few days ago. We decided to stay at this motel 6 since we've stayed at other Motel 6's and they were always decent. We knew we were getting a cheap hotel and we were not expecting anything super special. However, I did expect a clean room. The first room we were put in was not. I always check the bathroom and toilet when I first arrive at a hotel and this one had a hair on the toilet seat. The sink had a clean wash cloth on the counter however there were a bunch of tiny hairs on it and all over the counter, as if a man had cleaned out his electric razor over the sink after it had been cleaned. We are not the kind of people to make a big fuss but we did politely ask for a different room. The staff was very nice and gave us a different room on the opposite side of the building. This bathroom was clean. However you could tell the general upkeep of the hotel was really a low priority. There was a burn mark on the shower ledge (from what I don't know) and a bath mat had been strategically placed to cover it up. There was a melted hole in the top of our tv (half of the channels were snowy/staticy so we could only watch a couple of channels). And when I removed the comforter from the bed there were two cigarrette burn holes. There were two small bars of soap and a note in the room that said if we needed anything like shampoo or conditioner we should contact the front desk as they only had a limited supply of those and they were on a first come first serve basis. Probably the worst part of the room though was a very strong chemical smell. I thought at first it was just the cleaner they used and that I was just not used to that kind of smell. However, after sleeping through the night both my husband and myself woke up with burning eyes and stuffy noses. We felt like we'd slept on the floor of a smoky casino!

Outside of the room there were also some questionable characters hanging out in the parking lot and around the hotel. I'm not sure what was going on but there was someone who had slept in their car outside of our room--not sure why they didn't just stay in a room?

As I stated above, we are not the type of people who want to make a fuss or whine and complain. And we knew we were not paying for a Four Seasons type of hotel stay. But I don't think there is any excuse for dirty rooms--and honestly I know times are tough but a thin queen size blanket without cigarrette burns is relatively cheap nowadays. Do yourself a favor people and don't stay at this hotel. It was not a good experience.

Side note: The staff there were very nice and we in no way blame them for our bad experience. They were apologetic but the problems this hotel has are coming from the top.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Motel 6 Medford South

Reviewed April 17, 2013

Room was pretty small with a small TV, they allow pets there and it still had a little of that smell left. The bathroom had minor cleanliness issues, the toilet bowl wasn´t totally clean. The bathroom vents also carried in smoke smell from adjacent rooms. All walls had recently been painted though and the carpets were clean. The room didn´t have any further amneties such as fridge, microwave or free wifi.

Room Tip: The north side of town also has a couple of motels and restaurants and seems nicer overall.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We've used Motel 6 for years travelling up and down the coast and will not any more.

We left a very fine vanity mirror at this Motel 6 in Medford and the desk person said they would hold it until our return 3 weeks later. When we returned the Manager said he had it in storage but couldn't get it at that moment and would mail it to us. When we phoned him because we had not heard from him he said one of his staff stole it. That's it! Too bad for us!

So be very careful with your personal belongings at this Motel 6 - not trustworthy. As they say you get what you pay for!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lea898
Reviewed March 27, 2013

A nice Motel 6 and again pet friendly with a dog park next door. I didn't have any issues the room was nice and clean the bed was fine and the front desk staff was exceptional. All in all a nice stay and a great value.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Immediately next to this Motel 6 is a Travelodge and a Days Inn. I choose Motel 6 for my first night. There was no refridgerator. The heater did not have any sort of digital display OR shut-off mechnism. It simply had a "cool - warm" adjuster and a low/high fan speed. So basically it just blew air continuously at whatever temperature you set it to.

The stairs were awkwardly far from my door, I had to basically walk around three sides of the building to get to my side. Another set of stairs would have been nice.

Wireless WIFI internet was quite slow. It worked, but it was slow enough to actually time out on several sites, including facebook games I wanted to play. I think I was in room 283. Not sure if other rooms get better service or not.

Access to all rooms is via an out-side walkway. Again, the neighboring motel for the same price had indoor hallways, a fridge, and digital thermastat.

I'd suggest just driving the extra 100 feet to the Travelodge for a much nicer experience.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We stayed here on our way back to BC from California. The Hotel 6 chain is all pretty much the same. The value is good and the rooms are clean but a little out-dated. I find the beds are not soft enough but what do you expect for $40-$50. We could hear the highway so try to book a room in the back. What I like about Hotel 6 is they are pet friendly and don't charge extra.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back or as farthest away fron the Hwy noice as possible.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Your typical Motel 6, but with some great South Oregon hospitality. Two employees stood out as very helpful, with directions and recommendations. Both Lindsey and Amanda were gracious hosts.
Both also agreed on the best breakfast spot in Medford, and I took them up on it. Try the homeade corned beef hash at the "Bear.." something or other, across for the motel - awesome!

Thanks guys, and they definitely left the light on!

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a bathroom with a small table to put your stuff on.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business