“Best restaurant in Medford, quality food & excellent service”
Review of Capers

Capers
Ranked #62 of 300 Restaurants in Medford
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Gold Hill, Oregon, United States
“Best restaurant in Medford, quality food & excellent service”
Reviewed March 30, 2012

We have been here twice, the first time on a Deal of the Day certificate. Both times, the food was outstanding and so was the service. We have found the regular Gaetano Room menu items are the best, with the specials, while being delicious and beautiful, not quite as outstanding.

Our first visit, hubby had the Veal Saltimbocca, and it was so gorgeous, he took a picture of it. The taste lived up to the beauty of the dish--it was out of this world. My special lobster ravioli was good and solid, but not outstanding.

Second time we went, he had a stuffed sole puttanesca, a special item. He was crazy about it, but I thought it was just OK. I decided to skip the tempting specials and order the Risotto Frutti du Mare, and I was so glad I did. First time I've had risotto in a restaurant that wasn't overcooked--the rice was perfection. Full of seafood, including a split lobster tail, scallops, mussels, clams, octopus, bay shrimp ... Absolutely delicious, and again, very beautiful.

Standard fare with most entrees is a house salad or soup. The house salad is very good, quality ingredients with a lovely house vinaigrette. But the soup was insanely delicious. Zucchini-spinach soup, vegan (no animal products).

I also found that I love aroncini, at least at Gaetano's. How he can make something that doesn't sound all that appetizing (but had to try it to say I did) taste so lovely, always perfectly browned and crunchy on the outside, tender and delicious and saffrony on the inside, I do not know.

Dinner prices are about average, not super high but not cheap, either. For the quality of food, I believe it's very reasonable.

Don't be surprised if Gaetano himself seats you or comes out to see how you enjoyed your meal. Where else do you get that from the chef? The wait staff has been very professional and helpful. Last time we were going to the theatre afterwards, so the waiter brought me my leftovers with a bag of ice to keep it cool.

This is going to be our go-to restaurant when we are having a night out in Medford. Head and shoulders above the other restaurants we've tried.

• Visited March 2012

“The best!”
Reviewed February 25, 2012

Had a group meeting in back room
Had quiet area with excellent food served in leisurely fashion
Items are made fresh from scratch at same prices as chain restaurants

Medford, Oregon
“Great Service and FANTASTIC food”
Reviewed February 5, 2012

Love, Love, Love this place. A 5 course meal and everything was wonderful. My only compaint is that my stomach got full way to fast. Great food! Great service!

Medford, Oregon
“Best home cooked italian food”
Reviewed January 18, 2012

Top home cooked food. Great atmosphere and service. Plan to go back soon !!

Huntsville, Alabama
“Good, But Overpriced”
Reviewed December 22, 2011

This was our first time at Gaetano's. The food was "good", but not distinctive and overpriced. The location is good for the very nice local theater and the decor was reasonable. The put off about going back was that I was charged $4.50 for exchanging a small bit of spaghetti for the polenta the dish came with. This "penny wise, pound foolish" on the part of the restaurant and a short sighted attitude toward customers. We are patrons that are willing to pay a good price for an excellent meal. The waiter also did not advise me of this until I received the bill.

• Visited December 2011

Been to Capers? Share your experiences!