“Pleasant Experience, Excellent Food”
Review of Capers

Capers
Ranked #73 of 306 Restaurants in Medford
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 8, 2011

This was a business trip and I dined solo at Gaetano. It is a pleasantly appointed ristorante with cloth tablecloths in the main dining room, along with a musician playing non-intrusive Spanish guitar.

The wine list is excellent with affordable bottles in many categories; however, as a solo diner, I only wanted to have wine by the glass. Although these were available, I was disappointed that only generic varieties were provided on the wine menu, i.e. merlot, riesling, cabernet, etc. with nothing to indicate origin. I opted for the generic “merlot” and it was fine.

The bread appears to be made in house, and was wonderfully chewy… and warm (a real plus). The bottles of olive oil and balsamic on each table were an added accompaniment to the great bread.

A house salad or soup is included with main courses, so I passed on having an appetizer, although the list was enticing. The salad was disappointing, except for the house made dressing (subtle, yet wonderful flavor); disappointing in that the salad consisted solely of bland greens and shaved carrots. I ordered the Spaghetti Putanesca as my main, and it was cooked perfectly al dente. The fresh tomato sauce contained olives, garlic, red pepper, capers, anchovies and fresh basil. It was deliciously picante with copious amounts of tomato, sauce and pasta.

For dessert I chose Pastatella which was described as “warm dense chocolate dessert served with vanilla ice cream & hot gran marnier sauce” (their spelling, not mine, and the “gran marnier” sauce was definitely made with some other liqueur, perhaps Cointreau). Nevertheless, it was a perfect end to the meal and the warm mystery sauce made it even better.

As for service, it could have been better. My server was extremely friendly, yet professional, and had rattled off the specials, outlining in great detail all of the many ingredients in each one. My only complaint is that I sat for incredibly long periods between courses while the server absented herself from the dining room for long periods of time.

I would have enjoyed trying some of the other items on the menu (they appeared wonderful), and will definitely sample some on my next visit to Medford and Gaetano Ristorante.

1  Thank FrequentTraveller034

Reviewed August 10, 2011

The Restaurant could use some more updating, but the food was absolutely wonderful. I would highly recommend.

Reviewed August 8, 2011

Everyone in our family loved their food. Wonderful flavor and quality ingredients. Service was outstanding. Appreciated local wine selections in addition to Italian wines. Highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed July 27, 2011

We are visiting the area and always enjoy an opportunity to find local authentic Italian food. Gaetano's did not disappoint. The food was amazing, the service was impeccable and we were extremely pleased with our decision to eat there. It was one of the most authentic Italian restaurants we've been to outside of Italy. Our only regret is that Gaetano's is not in our hometown. Go, go, go!

Reviewed July 15, 2011

We live in Italy half the year so it is so nice to find a real Italian running a restaurant in Medford. For the most part, his cuisine is exactly what you would find in Italy. We started with a caprese salad which was delightful and prepared with the simple oil and vinegar dressing that an Italian would use.

We then split a dish of his pasta puttanesca which was magnificent. The Italian sauce was so good with olives and capers.

Finally we had the fillet which was so tender and cooked to perfection. Additionally we loved the cheesy decor which is exactly how the family trattorias are in Italy. I really loved it here and would return with a huge smile on my face.

Been to Capers? Share your experiences!