“A Wonderful Find in Southern Oregon”

Pomodori Bistro & Wine Bar
Ranked #15 of 307 Restaurants in Medford
Cuisines: Italian, Wine Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Great local bistro that has been doing a great lunch and dinner business here in medford since 2008. We specialize in northern style cooking with our own northwest flair. Using local ingredients when we can. We have the largest local wine selection in the area. And also one of the first to have local really quality red and white wines on tap as well.
Reviewed October 6, 2011

Medford, Oregon is not normally known as a gastronomic destination, and I must admit that in the past I usually headed to Ashland when I was in the area. However, this is the third time I have eaten at Pomodori and it gets better each time.

A meal like this would cost twice as much in my hometown of Los Angeles. The quality is superb and the variety of menu options is wonderful. This was a business trip and I went solo, but was treated like visiting royalty. I was pleased with the variety of wines by the glass, but shared my pet peeve with the server, i.e. uncorked bottles that are still being served days and days after being opened. The server sensed that I am a wine aficionado and, after determining the type of wine I preferred this evening, she brought 3 sample pours to the table, one of which was a hit. That was unexpected and a real plus.

This restaurant serves a complimentary soup or salad as part of the main course. The quality of my salad was outstanding, and the Gorgonzola dressing was redolent with tasty morsels rather than the usual watered down variety. The bread was wonderful and must surely be made by a local artisan bakery (I forgot to ask about that). I asked the server about the various steaks and she noted that the aged rib eyes were highly popular - after asking if I liked capers and balsamic flavors (I do), she recommended the Tagliata (a hand cut rib eye with fried garlic and capers, along with a balsamic reduction). It was cooked to perfection and the flavor was reminiscent of a chimichurri. It was an inspired entree offering. The asparagus was crisp and the ramekin of mac and cheese was a tasty retro touch.

The dessert was the only disappointment. I succumbed to a peanut butter/chocolate cheesecake and it was dry. I've had desserts here before and they were fabulous. As for decor, there's a darker room for more intimate dining, and a less dark dining area in the front of the restaurant and at the bar area. One improvement they could make would be an upgrade to the tacky vinyl table cloths - nothing wrong with vinyl, but the design does nothing to enhance the dining experience.

Medford folk seem to eat very early as I've learned from previous visits to Pomodori - a word to the wise: the place might be ready to close by 9 (or before), even on weekends. For the quality and price (my check for everything was $35!), I'll be back again and again whenever my business brings me to the Medford area.

1  Thank FrequentTraveller034

Reviewed October 3, 2011

This restaurant is the most divine in all of the Valley. Starting out with the caramelized onion, roasted garlic with brie cheese for an appetizer (and a fantastic margarita), the evening started off well. This was followed be a HUGE salad for me, and mushroom panchetta soup for my husband. I have NEVER seen my husband react to food the way he did when he ate this soup. Simply put, he was in complete heaven. After having a couple of pieces of bread (with the most amazing herb butter)-we were already pretty full. Then comes the entree. I got the stuffed pork chop (which I always get-I don't want to try anything else because, well....why mess with perfection?!), and my husband got the Mahi Mahi (sp?). We ate in silence because we couldn't adequately even express in words how amazing it was. We were only able to take a few bites of the entree, because we were already so full, and actually wanted to try some dessert. We tried the creme brulee, with Irish coffee, and it was the most decadent finish to an amazing meal. The price of this HUGE meal astounded us! We took away 2 boxes FILLED with our uneaten entree, drinks, appetizer, entrees, dessert and even more drinks in the end and the bill was under $70!
We will most certainly be back-as this is our favorite place in the entire Valley.
You guys are AMAZING!!

Reviewed September 23, 2011

I had lunch with 3 friends celebrating my birthday. I am always torn between a previous favorite and a new choice. This time the favorite won. Their mahi-mahi with sweet chili sauce is consistently wonderful. The fish is perfectly prepared and the house-made sweet chili sauce is tasty but not overpowering. I had the house salad {included} and it was practically a meal in itself. Friends had the soup of the day, a white bean with veg and sausage and loved it. They serve keg wines from some of the local favorite wineries, a welcome new practice. This place continues to earn it's high marks.

Reviewed September 18, 2011

Went with a party of 8 for a birthday celebration. Everything was great! Wonderful choices on the regular menu as well as the dinner specials. Very large salad before dinner. Delicious dinner. Large cocktails. Service was excellent. The server made sure the vegetarian in the group was well taken care of. One error she made was quickly taken care of with a smile and no question. We'll be back!

1  Thank Rich M
Reviewed September 15, 2011

We received a gift certificate to Pomodori. We feel it is nothing special in the decor department, sort of a 50's cafe with oil cloths on the tables and wobbly wooden chairs sitting on the vinyl floor of the room we ate in. Yucky floral prints on the walls, (more on that later). It was lunch time, (open 11:30 until 2) and there were people at about 6 tables. Because it is in an old house and there is no carpeting on the floor of the room we ate in, it is pretty loud in the room. We tried the lentil soup and it was just okay, a cup, a little small in size with the soup spilled into the saucers it came on. We ordered meals with red sauces with either sausages or meatballs with the two different pastas. Good size portions. However quantity does make up with quality. The meats were just okay, good but the flavor of the sauces got stronger and poorer tasting as you ate and you ended up leaving those last bites because of the flavor. It was a pretty strong tomato paste flavor we just didn't really care for. We usually give a place a second and maybe a third chance before making it either a regular on our dining schedule or kissing it off. It will have to be pretty special next trip in. It will be hard to do it here after the two red sauces we experienced. However , they do have other sauces, so we will try again and leave another review down the road. The prices are good, $9 for many meals and they have some lunch specials too. It was a surprise that there was no bread served with the meal but that is probably because they want to sell their special $3.50 selection of garlic bread for your meal. As noted, meal was average, nothing special. On a scale of 1 to 10, this is a 5. We could have eaten at the Olive Garden and enjoyed it so much more.

It was interesting that they have a "Review Article" by a local person, framed and sitting on a table in their waiting area at the entrance. He thought well of the place, however it sounded like he had had a few drinks before eating. Then he ate, could be the booze numbed the review persons taste buds or he didn't have either of the red sauces that we did. Anyway, in so many words, "The Reviewer", liked the place and he was so excited that there was no "Italian type stuff" or prints on the walls making you think it is an Italian Restaurant. EXCUSE ME BUT IT IS AN ITALIAN RESTAURANT and without that homey Italian decor hanging around, the interior in Pomodori is just plain boring. We will try it again but nothing with those poor red sauces on the pastas.

Been to Pomodori Bistro & Wine Bar? Share your experiences!