“Overflowing garbage and disinterested staff”
Review of Comfort Inn South

Comfort Inn South
Ranked #14 of 35 Hotels in Medford
Reviewed July 9, 2014

The only thing I liked about this hotel was the beds. They were fairly new, firm and the bedding was clean and crisp. The rest of this motel is scuffed, dirty and run down. The garbage cans outside the doors were overflowing with garbage on the ground and it was that way during our entire stay.

The wireless internet access didn't work and when I called the front desk clerk had no idea how to check on the service and didn't want to assist me to figure it out. She just told me "sorry, I can't help you". I finally ended up calling the service provider who told me their server was down and not responding. I checked in with the front desk every day of our three day stay, and they could not tell me if service would be restored. It's frustrating because this was the main reason I chose this hotel....I could get a wireless hook up from the Holiday Inn next door, but it wasn't stable and closed down every minute or so.

The breakfast is a joke. When we arrived at the "breakfast room" the garbage in that room was overflowing as well, and what they called a "hot breakfast" turned out to me an empty steam tray, a toaster that burned the toast so badly that it almost caught fire and no water, no milk and no one around who could fill the trays with food. I approached the front desk again to tell them the breakfast needed attention and got a surly response from the attendance. About ten minutes later, the pool guy came in and microwaved frozen sausage and egg disks and threw them in the steamer trays...didn't refill any of the other items that were either out or running low. We had seen this same guy just a few minutes before with a skimmer in the pool room!

This hotel is badly in need of some renovation, updating and staff swap-out. With quality people manning the front desk who care about their guest and the experience they have in your hotel, you could have guests lining up to get back in, but as it is right now, I'm not going to return or spend my money at this Comfort Inn again.

Room Tip: select a room on the third floor - it seemed the quietest part of the property.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank lilitch

Reviewed June 11, 2014

After a long drive, all we wanted was quiet and a good night's sleep which the Comfort Inn South provided. We had a king nonsmoking room on the 3rd floor.

Pros: clean, comfortable bed, large room, microwave and refrigerator, courteous check in, uncrowded and plentiful breakfast.

Cons: a little challenging to find, park next door populated by homeless folks so didn't feel comfortable taking a walk.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dawn N
Reviewed June 9, 2014

This must be one of Choice hotels earlier establishments because it is showing some age and wear and tear. Would probably rate this as a 3.0 - 3.5. First thing we noticed when checking in was that the entry way needed to be cleaned; however, we noticed when we left the next morning that the entry way had been cleaned. Had a covered drive thru and automatic doors. Has 3 floors serviced by one fairly small elevator. The lobby is somewhat small with limited seating. Can do your laundry here. The indoor pool and whirlpool are both handicap accessible. There was one computer available for guests to use but was located in the lobby. The desk for it was really worn and edges worn. Get fit with 4 machines in the fitness center. We did enjoy the fresh baked cookies at check-in along with the 24/7 coffee. While working on the computer, a man tried to get coffee but it was empty. Later on, I tried, but it was still empty. So I told the receptionist that it needed to be replaced. I really felt bad about taking her away from the games she was playing on the computer since very few guests had come in to register and take her time. Used the restroom the next morning before leaving but had no paper towels for drying my hands.

Noticed right away on the way to our room that the hallway carpet had some buckling and frayed edges. Needs replacing for safety. Also, seemed a little dirty. Our king room had a flat screen TV with decent channel lineup; however, instead of a guest book, a digital version was supposed to be on channel 9. It was not there. Channel 9 was not even available. Our room was somewhat small and furnished with 2 night stands with wall lamps, clock, desk with 2 chairs and a wall lamp, sitting chair and ottoman, microwave, fridge, iron and ironing board, and full length mirror.

The bath was all in one with a tub/shower combo. Was fairly small, but had a nice-size vanity and mirror. Had an exhaust fan and a heat lamp. One towel bar and 2 hooks.

Breakfast room was somewhat small but had 24 seats available with overflow into the lobby. Disappointed that fiberboard was not used for plates, bowls, and cups instead of styrofoam. Had a round egg patty and hard boiled eggs, bacon, waffle maker, cereals, pastries, yogurt, 2 kinds of juices, fruit, and good coffee.

Not sure if we would return if in the area again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DaleSwansea_IL
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

The design of this hotel feels like a prison. The hotel hallways are dark and the door frames are made of army green metal.

Once inside the room, ambiance improves, but the sheets and comforters on both beds were dirty.

There is a weird requirement to tell staff at checkout that you didn't use safe otherwise you are charged small fee.

Would not stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank LCMC55
Reviewed February 14, 2014

This is the perfect Medord Hotel for us Snowbirds. Located at the South end of town and walking distance to Fred Meyers and several perfectly acceptable restaurants. Close to the freeway but a bit challenging to find. Needs better signage. Thank goodness for the the guy on the street with sandwich board!!!
The room was very comfy, and so nice and clean... felt safe.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Nice hotel, decent price. Room comfortable and clean except for very stained carpet. Noticed it in the elevator too, so maybe a guest did it? We had a 3rd floor double Queen (they were out of kings). Fridge & microwave, good light blocking curtains, fan in bathroom. Sink inside of bathroom. Cookies in the lobby. Good breakfast with 3 fresh fruits, waffles, eggs, sausage & bacon. Pool & hot tub, exercise room. Right next to McGrath's fish house. Far enough from highway to be quiet but still convenient.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank farmgirlIdaho
Reviewed October 26, 2013

My husband and were in Medford for medical tests. The hotel let us check-in early and the location was convenient to the Surgery Center. Room was nice and the breakfast was nice. I found a very good rate on-line even though I had to call central reservation to make it work. The person I talked to was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business