“Great place to spend the day”

Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum
Ranked #1 of 36 things to do in McMinnville
Reviewed January 10, 2014

This is a local attraction for us. Whenever we have guests from out of town we usually take them to the museum. But I often go by myself because I never get tired of seeing the displays. On one side is the museum of flight with many historical aircraft and on the other there is a detailed history of the space program with displays of space capsules and the rockets that got them into space. The mach 3 SR71 Blackbird is there as is the X15. There are also many fighter aircraft like the F4 Phantom and the MiG's that they fought against in the skies over Vietnam. There is also a good collection of helicopters.

In the center of the facility is an Imax theater which we go to whenever they have new films. A very unique water park was recently added and is usually quite busy.

Of course there is more but I'll just say that if you are an aviation or history buff like me you will be very pleased.

2  Thank Fisherwoman4

Reviewed January 9, 2014

This is a huge and well done facility with a large collection of aircraft including the Spruce Goose. Because this is a very large museum with multiple buildings you will need at least half a day to see it. To me this is on par with the Boeing Museum and the National Air & Space museum in Washington DC. Definitely worth going to.

1  Thank ConstantTraveller74
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I had never gone by myself, always with relatives. I went on a Tuesday afternoon by myself and spent time on what I wanted. This is a superb collection of planes and some other items from the Wright flyer to the space age. For those of us who have been around military aircraft, there are lots of excellent examples including two MIGs, an A4, an F-14, etc. as well as the WW I and WW II planes. The explanatory signs have enough detail and there were numerous docents with all the info one could want. There are also interesting videos in several places. The center piece is Howard Hughes' "Spruce Goose," which is always impressive. I took four hours to really take in the plane museum and never even got to the space building. These planes are excellent history education for the young as well as nostalgia for the old. With the demise of the Evergreen Aviation flight business, it is really important to support and take advantage of this resource.

1  Thank Steve K
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Do not be put off by the entry fee--it is worth every penny. The initial draw for us was getting to see the (in)famous SPRUCE GOOSE, but that was just the beginning. We spent a solid 4+ hours there and neither one of us is what I would consider a true-blue airplane aficionado. The volunteer docents that were sprinkled around really made the place special. We got to talk with people who had actually flown in many of the planes on exhibit and listening to their tales really brought things to life. We also enjoyed the Space museum which is housed in another building on the same property.
When traveling in the McMinnville area on a wine tour, leave a spot for a stop at the Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum.

1  Thank Penny G
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Totally worth it to wear Howard Hughes' hat! Spent the entire day and would do it all over again...probably will one of these days!

1  Thank WillowMumLindaA45