“A must see for the air/space enthusiast!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum

Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum
Ranked #1 of 34 things to do in McMinnville
More attraction details
Owner description: The Hughes Flying Boat, commonly called the Spruce Goose, and other vintage aircraft are housed in this museum.
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“A must see for the air/space enthusiast!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

Seeing the Spruce Goose has been on my Bucket List for years so, when I found a half day free in Portland, I made the trip down to see it. I don't know what i expected but I was astonished at what I found! I'd planned on taking a couple of hours there and then driving over to the coast but ended up spending over five hours there and still didn't see it all. There weren't a lot of visitors when I was there so I had free run of the docents and what a well-educated, energetic group they were! And it was actually good weather while I was there and I could enjoy all the static displays they had outside. Really a class act and a must see if you have a half (or all) day.

London, United Kingdom
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 89 helpful votes
“Wonderful surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

My father is an aviation enthusiast (and I am a keen fan) and so, on a wet September day, we set off to find the resting place of the Spruce Goose (which was all the guidebook indicated was held at the EASA). We'd neither of us, knowingly, heard of the Museum. We were amazed by this high quality museum, with a great selection of aircraft and space exhibits. Staff were friendly, knowledgeable and numerous. A thoroughly brilliant half-day, longer if you take in a film.

Port Lavaca, Texas
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“It is a great museum!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

Just over priced! $24 to view and then to have your photo taken in Spruce Goose you pay extra, movies extra, water park extra. Museum a la cart and not in a good way.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank HighMaint01
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great air museum...final home for the Spruce Goose”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

What a great museum for those who enjoy aircraft....this is the final home for the Spruce Goose....this museum has everything from early biplanes to the SR-71....WW II aircraft, transport aircraft as well as a space museum.....plan on spending the entire day here in the amazing facility.

1 Thank Larry M
Warminster, Pennsylvania
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“One of the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

Evergreen's "Aviation and Space" museum is true to its name. Awesomely so! Howard Hughes "Spruce Goose" clearly dominates the displayed holding of the museum. If there were no other aircraft, artifacts, or space vehicles on display, the Spruce Goose, by itself, would make this trip worth it. But we're not talking about just ONE building housing Evergreen's collections. We're talking about two HUGE buildings with massive glass front and rear walls, and huge skylights allowing fantastic natural lighting, giving visitors the optimum viewing conditions for every display, even those smaller aircraft tucked away in corners within the buildings. Did I mention the wrap around balcony walk ways? Incredible views from above the main floors! There are two other huge buildings, one apparently being built to house a waterpark (there's a Boeing 747 mounted over the building, with what appear to be waterslide tubes departing the aft fuselage into the building interior!), and the other building houses a huge 3D theater, admission to which is included in your museum ticket price. My wife and I saw the move "Air Racer" which features Steve Hinton, Jr., giving an account of how his father, Steve Hinton, Sr., taught him to fly, progressing from Stearman biplanes, to WWII trainers, to the P-51 Mustang, and then on to winning Gold at the Reno Air Races. My ONLY complaint would be that the more exotic WWII fighters, including the Spitfire, Me-109, and others were tucked into positions with over done signage that all but precluded any worthwhile photography. Outside, roughly twenty or so aircraft were statically displayed. Almost all of these showed the toll weather can take on exposed airframes, regardless of how well they were restored, or maintained. Probably the most interesting aircraft on display outside was the Lockheed P2V-5 Neptune, marked in Evergreen's color scheme. Being a Navy veteran and a member of the Mid Atlantic Air Museum, I am very familiar with the P-2, but this is the first one I'd been close up to and seen how the fire retardant tanking system was installed. My wife and I spent two nights at the excellent, and fairly brand new, Comfort Inn, which is less than a mile away. The town of McMinnville is itself a charming small town, unlike so many other cities across America these days that seem to have been overwhelmed with commercial and residential development.