“The Real Deal”

Fino in Fondo
Cuisines: Italian
“The Real Deal”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Finally made it here. We've seen their things in Portland, OR but the competition for charcuterie is very keen. But our visit over the weekend was excellent. The tastings set our tastebuds for a simple but delicious Italian style sandwich. Fino in Fondo salami with arugula and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil on excellent French bread. We also grabbed a pepper stuffed with prosciutto and provolone as a side item. Friendly service. We took our sandwich to a local winery and bought a bottle to enjoy outside with our lunch. Perfect. We'll definitely go back to Fino in Fondo.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank Dewey123

McMinnville, Oregon
“Great meat products!”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Wonderful meat products and specialty food items. Generous samplings and custom orders are welcome. Their first Holiday Season was a bit hit and miss with pre orders, but quality was excellent.

Visited September 2012
Seattle, Washington
“Charcuterie tasting, anyone?”
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Fino in Fondo is a fantastic little retail shop and charcuterie tasting room run out of an enormous 3,000 square foot curing facility off the main street in McMinnville.

Run by the second generation chef owner Carmen Pierano (aka Nick's daughter, from Nick's Italian Cafe in McMinnville) and her equally talented chef husband, Fino in Fondo appears to be a labor of love. And by love, I mean we have fallen in love with this intimate artisan cured meat tasting room with views into a curing warehouse.

After one too many pinot tastings, here is a completely original tasting stop on your tour of Oregon wine country.

Don't let the industrial looking exterior scare you, the retail shop inside is adorable and intimate, and for for $5 a tasting, Carmen herself talked us through a sample of six or seven different fantastic samples of her cured charcuterie, sharing little bits of her story along the way. They also sell fresh made pasta here, and from the looks of the locals coming in, it must be good.

Lucky for McMinnville that Pierano and her husband returned to the town where she grew up to create a whole new culinary legacy. Highly recommend a visit.

• Visited April 2012
3 Thank find_rachel
Astoria, Oregon
“Cured Meat Lover's REJOICE!”
Reviewed January 26, 2012

Unfortunately, I haven't ever been to Italy, but thanks to this great little salumeria, I feel a bit like I've eaten something from there! Got hooked on the salami platter (had to order another to finish our cocktails with!) at Nick's the night before and our waitress told us about the salumeria hours the next day. Very unobtrusive and not very well marked, but you enter this unassuming door and somehow they transport you to Italy!!! A warm welcome from the owner working that day and great stories about how they ended up making Umbrian salami was very fun. I even had a question a few days later and I called and got several answers. Obviously they care about the food they create and are having a ton of fun doing it! Totally worth finding the little door and plunging ahead!!!

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank NCoastFoodie
Portland, Oregon
“Best salami I've ever had”
Reviewed November 10, 2011

I love salami...I'm drawn to it wherever I go. I've been to charcuteries all across Europe. I don't say this lightly, but a couple of Fino in Fondo's (even though they are brand new) salamis are the best I've ever had. Eric and Carmen own it and freely give out samples. They also own Nick's, which is one of the best restaurants in Oregon. They know their stuff and it shines through in all of their meats. The place is small with no seating (you'll see that in the photos I uploaded). It's also very hard to find (at the end of 4th right next to the railroad tracks). They make sandwiches now but I'm pressuring them to add a panini grill. My only complaint is that they are only open Thursday to Saturday. I love this place and am happy to share it with people. It's the new "must stop" place in Yamhill County.

• Visited November 2011