“Not for agoraphobics or people without sleeping pills”

McMenamins Hotel Oregon
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in McMinnville
Los Angeles
“Not for agoraphobics or people without sleeping pills”
Reviewed August 15, 2009

Lame. Tiny rooms- the door almost hit the bed when we entered. Unlike the review above, we actually had our own bathroom, which was almost as big as the bedroom. The walls are really thin, too. We could hear people talking in the hallway and opening and closing doors until 4AM. And it wasn't cool people, either. Drunk, douchey frat boy types saying things like "I'm locked out of my room 'cause I got in a fight with some queer." I'm not joking.

We tried to call the front desk and switch rooms but the number for the operator rang and rang without an answer. In the morning we were told that nobody's at the front desk after hours, but that we should have been able to reach the maintenance guy. The manager also mentioned that sometimes this maintenance guy is hard to reach. I can't tell whether they're cheap or just clueless. Never staying there again.

On the positive side, it's a nice, old building with friendly employees.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank skinnydaddyjoe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Boston
Reviewed July 24, 2009

Hotel Oregon is trading heavily on its downtown McMinnville location (excellent) and its rooftop bar (also commendable) but not paying enough attention to the basics.

Our mattress needed to be replaced; it had gone soft. The halls smelled musty. And what we could see of the place--common spaces, our room, a friend's room--seemed overdue for updating and painting.

The hotel also didn't have a full-sized ironing board, just a table-top one but no desk or table in our room to set it on. Nor did it have a hair drier. Are these last two peeves? Perhaps, but we were going to a wedding so ironing and, for my wife, hair drying didn't seem optional. If we visit McMinnville again, we'll stay in one of the Mc-chains. Charm is great, but only if it comes atop the basics, not at the cost of them.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Denver, CO
Reviewed June 30, 2009

We stayed in the European Style rooms and trekked down the hall to the bathroom. The rooms are small, but have an in room sink and come with bathrobes for the trek down the hall. I only forgot my key once. The bathroom was shared with the rooms on that floor but the bathroom was very clean. The hotel is downtown so we walked everywhere in that area. The Rooftop Bar was awesome. We went there for our first anniversary to do wine tasting in the Willamette Valley. The three days we were there was awesome and we are already planning another wine tasting trip to another McMennamins property. I can see where this hotel isn't for everyone, but they do have rooms with private baths. We were up for the adventure and didn't mind the shared bath experience.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Tennessee
Reviewed March 20, 2009

My husband and I have stayed at Hotel Oregon on many occasions over the past 6 years. We have also stayed at Edgefield. We love the charm of these hotels and know on the front end what to expect as far as accommodations. On our most recent trip, my husband went down to the restaurant one morning to get a cup of complimentary hotel coffee. We had always done this in the past. The young girl behind the bar asked for his picture ID???? What's up with that???? Then she said she would charge the coffee to his room. He told her to forget it. That evening we inquired at the restaurant to make sure coffee was complimentary and was assured that it is. The next morning I went down to get coffee and was asked by the same rude girl to see my picture ID???? She told me in no uncertain terms that coffee was not free and never had been. The fact that they do not supply free coffee of some sort is distressing, but the rudeness of the staff is more distressing. We spent seven days/nights at the hotel and spent hundreds of dollars on rooms/food, etc. They lost our business over a cup of coffee (actually the rudeness of the person at the bar). When we shared our story around town we were told that The Hotel Oregon is known for its poor service. We also found that there are several wonderful bed and breakfast establishments within walking distance of downtown McMinnville. We will definitely try one of those next time.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank grammiea
Seattle, WA
Reviewed February 13, 2009

I stayed here once a few years ago. The setting is great as it is right in downtown McMinnville. You can walk everywhere.

The interior is great. Old historic building with lots of interesting art. I guess the hotel has artists on staff. Also quirky rooms with names of persons on the door and artwork inside that reflects sayings and images of these persons. These people are somehow affiliated with the hotel, i.e. ex-owners, etc.

However, the main attraction is the location and the look of the hotel. If you are rating it as a general hotel...it gets low marks in my mind. First trip I took, the bathroom floor was sticky and filthy. I walked across the bathroom floor in white socks and it looked as though I had walked outside.

This time I did not have a bathroom in my room, but still noticed the floor was dirty. Everywhere not covered by carpet (bare wood) was covered with dust or spilled something (presumably beer).
I had the shared bath and while the general toilet and sink area looked very clean, the floor on the shower on the third floor was filthy...like it hadn't been washed in months or needed a good scrubbing. It appears that anything lower than waist hight at McMennamins doesn't get attended too. Perhaps the cleaning staff don't like to bend down.

When the dirty shower was mentioned to the staff they looked at me like I was an alien. Most of the staff appear to be college students from the area and don't seem real professional.. nor concerned about attending to customer's comments.

Other odd thing was that I asked for a quiet room. First night I was acccomodated but the second night, a loud couple was placed next to me. I couldn't understand the need for this as we were in the corner rooms, where the rooms meet in a V. So, we basically had to cram to get by each other to get into our rooms. Meanwhile, I notice the whole rest of the 4 rooms on the floor (which were the same kind of room) were empty. Why not spread us out so we can all have privacy. They just don't seem to think things through. Probably thought it was easier for the cleaning staff. For god sakes, let's make it easiest for the staff.

Staff at the bar upstairs were nonchalant as well. Don't seem to really care too much if they serve you quickly, attend to needs. Also serve beer in plastic cups. It's a brewery for pete's sakes. I felt like I was at a college kegger.

I wish I could find a better equivalent. I just end up staying here as it seems to be the only game in town.

• Liked — Historical, decor, art, quirkiness, location, great rooftop bar in summer, cellar bar
  • Disliked — Dirty and inattentive staff. Also food is not stellar
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank nuts4travel

Travelers are raving about these McMinnville hotels

Klamath Falls, Oregon
Reviewed November 15, 2008

We loved the Hotel Oregon! Fancy it is not, but it is the coolest hotel! Highly recommended!

Check in was simple. We parked on a side street near the hotel's front door. They directed us to park (for free) in a parking garage a blcok away. Not a problem, even in the rain! We lugged our carryons down the street. The elevator was small and s-l-o-w, so we only used it once - when we first checked in.

Our room, #303, was very small and basic, but very clean and relaxing. Huge single window. Open to the side street, but quiet. Bed was a double (not a queen as stated in the hotel literature) but comfortable. No TV, but that just added to the relaxing atmosphere. There was a small sink, mirror, toiletry shelf, table, chair, a "closet" (really a place to hang your coat and the hotel-supplied bathrobes), and one nightstand.

Shared bathroom and showers were a quick few doors away. I have stayed in hotel rooms where these were further away in the same room, so not a problem. :-) Very clean and cozy.

Hotel social scene was tops! We frequented the cellar bar for cocktails and live music one night, the rooftop bar for burgers and beers another night, and the main floor restaurant for breakfasts. Quick and friendly service.

We will be back! We joined a long list of Hotel Oregon fans! Oh, and did I mention that it was only 55 bucks a night! Wow!

• Liked — Fun, quirky atmosphere
  • Disliked — Leaving!
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank magwum
Bellingham
Reviewed October 6, 2008

We stayed for one night at the Hotel Oregon and loved this property. We did have some reservation about staying in a room without a bathroom but we are so glad that we didn't let that stop us. There are seperate men and women bathrooms that open with your room key. There are 3 toilet stalls and two shower stalls with locking doors and a place to change. I never saw anyone else in the bathroom on our floor. The location of the hotel is great and there is a wonderful italian restaurant right next door. There is also a great cafe for breakfast across the street that makes everything from scratch. The best part was checking out and being told the total was $68.00! No extra fees for parking, resorts fees, etc.. We look forward to staying at the Hotel George again.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple