“Rooftop Bar”

McMenamins Hotel Oregon
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in McMinnville
Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

My review is for the rooftop bar only. We had drinks here before dinner at Nick and it was great! Our wine and beer was wonderful and the views were amazing! It made for a very relaxing evening! The service was also amazing. I would highly recommend the Rooftop Bar for drinks.

• Stayed: August 2013
Shannon M, General Manager at McMenamins Hotel Oregon, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Thank you for your wonderful review. We look forward to seeing you again on the rooftop! Cheers!

Reviewed August 11, 2013

I read all the Tripadvisor reviews and took a chance on this hotel. We needed a place to stay for one night on a Friday night and most area hotels required a 2 night stay. We also wanted to be within walking distance to downtown restaurants and shops.

We had a terrific lunch on the rooftop bar which had a great area view. Highly recommend this place for lunch. We also had a nice breakfast on the morning that we checked out. Service was very good and food was reasonably priced at both restaurant areas.

The hotel is very interesting with lots of quirky period photos and art. I enjoyed walking the hallways to see their great collection.

It was the accommodations and overnight part that was disappointing. We supposedly had the nicest room in the hotel according to the front desk. It was incredibly noisy even with the supplied ear plugs. We think that most of the noise comes from the elevator but noise from people in the hallways and floor below kept us most of the night. There was also considerable noise coming from the street and bar patrons at the outside tables.

We also had difficulty in using the shower that was installed over the claw foot tub. The floor is uneven so it was hard to balance in the tub. I was concerned that I would fall as there was nothing to hold on to.

The front clerk was very gracious when we checked out and gave us a small discount off of our room tab. Overall, we paid about $131 which seems overpriced for the room. My fault for not trusting the TA reviews

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PasoWarrior
Shannon M, General Manager at McMenamins Hotel Oregon, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

We appreciate your feedback and will strive to improve. We are happy to hear that our staff was friendly and that you enjoyed your time on the rooftop. Thank you very much for your business.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

This is our second night here in one of the rooms that comes with its own bathroom (wine pioneers' room). Thank god we're leaving in the morning. For the exorbitant price, there is barely room for the bed, no dresser; suitcases had to go on the bathroom floor. There is no TV and a couple of 40 watt bulbs by which to try to read. I'd have gone to the lobby to read, but there is no lobby! Unless you're really thrilled at sleeping in a historical hotel, skip this overpriced rip off!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gene C

We are very sorry for your experience during your stay. I have sent you a private message in the hopes to make things right. Thank you for your review and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

I am staying at the hotel sitting up in bed after a night of not sleeping. It's 5:30am. It's not like me to complain but I am upset. Primarily because when I asked for tea before bed from the upstairs lounge the waitress was annoyed. Then I asked if it was caffeine free and she said yes. A mint tea. But no. I don't drink caffeine at all because I have a sensitivity and this tea had caffeine. My heart has been racing all night and all bad side effects I get happening. Not to mention that the room smells unclean and we are sharing a toilet and shower with the room next door. We are on a company retreat and did not select this hotel and I can say that I would never come here by choice and after staying here I am angry. Primarily because the staff served me something that has made me feel terrible, ruined my night's sleep the first night in Oregon and will probably affect my day which is supposed to be about team building on an outdoor adventure course. This place failed me.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Peacepeacepeace

I have reached out to you with a private message. I am so sorry for what happened during your stay, and assure you that managers and staff have been followed up with. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed three nights and enjoyed the location of the hotel very much! It's located in the central part of the historic downtown area and is within walking distance of some excellent restaurants.

I have to commend the front desk staff. Especially one of the staff members. I don't recall her name, but she had long brown hair and wore glasses. I have never had someone go out of their way to accommodate and help us the way she did! She recommended some great restaurant choices and made us reservations at each location so that we wouldn't have to fight the tourist crowd. She was always eager to help us and did a very good job of making us feel welcome during our entire stay. I was always very pleased to find her at the desk when I passed.

I would return to this location based off of her hospitality alone.

Room Tip: If you're looking for a quiet time, I would ask for a room that isn't facing main street. It...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Shannon M, General Manager at McMenamins Hotel Oregon, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Thank you very much for your review. We will make sure to recognize this employee for their service. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Have an excellent day.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Shared bathrooms for 80.00 to 100.00 a night rooms? Ridiculous! I stayed in a very small room with a private bath...I loved the old town urban feeling. But the staff is inconsistent. Front desk girl was awesome. Stayed 2 nights and dined and drank there, roof top bar tenders were arrogant. Servers kind of rude. Breakfast staff great....damned good Bloody Mary. Housekeeping did nothing in our room. Dropped towels on the bed and took the tip... Terrible.

• Stayed: June 2013

Thank you for your feedback. A good Bloody Mary is certainly a fine thing, and I am pleased to hear that front desk staff was awesome. I have sent you a private message to get some more details on the areas of concern you have mentioned. I have already shared your comments with the team at Hotel Oregon and we will be following up accordingly. We look forward to addressing these issues and making improvements.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

This is our second visit and we very much enjoyed it. We are however McMenamins groupies, so we are biased. Our room was very small but that was okay as we were out and about exploring the town, having a beer on the rooftop bar, music downstairs. The town is very cute with many shops, restaurants and wine bars in the heart of wine country. If you prefer high end accommodations this place is probably not for you but if you enjoy historic, funky, artistic....then you will likely be pleased.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Shannon M, General Manager at McMenamins Hotel Oregon, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Thank you very much for the review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you again very soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near McMinnville
Comfort Inn & Suites McMinnville
The Grand Hotel in Salem
McMenamins Grand Lodge
McMenamins Grand Lodge
#2 of 4 in Forest Grove

Been to McMenamins Hotel Oregon? Share your experiences!