Tripadvisor
McKenzie Bridge
All reviews fire pit rafting trip one night the river shuttle service rented mountain bikes two nights alyssa trailhead property firewood
Selected filters
Reviewed March 15, 2015

We were going to stay at Belknap hot springs and read the reviews online and decided against it. When reading the reviews online about Horse Creek Lodge we decided this was our place to stay. Upon arrival they had the cabin warmed up and the lights on for us. It was such a pleasant place to stay and the staff was super nice. They were very easygoing and trusting and we will definitely stay there again in the future. Their property was beautiful and the cabins were quaint and clean with everything we needed for our stay. We went on an amazing walk by the creek and had so much fun. We are looking forward to going back later this summer with friends and all of our kiddos. I would recommend this place for anyone looking to get away and enjoy some time outdoors with the comfort of a cozy and clean cabin.

Date of stay: March 2015
2  Thank Carol T
Reviewed September 19, 2014

What a pleasant surprise to find Horse Creek Lodge tucked away in the beautiful forests of the McKenzie. Gary and Alyssa were such friendly and gracious hosts, it felt as if we had known them for years. To me, it is the personal touches of this place that make it stand out from other lodges that I've stayed at. From local fresh ground coffee in our cabin to outside fire pits, to using Gary and Alyssa's grill, to extremely comfortable beds, the place felt like home. The play area with wiffle ball, badminton & horse shoe pits was a nice touch. We came out for a weekend of rafting and biking, and it was very convenient to have Alyssa run our shuttles for us. I would recommend Horse Creek Lodge to anyone looking to stay in the McKenzie Bridge area, and I will definitely be back. Thank you Gary & Alyssa!

Date of stay: September 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed August 30, 2014

We really enjoyed our little vacation here. The house was just the right size and the kids loved sleeping in the sofa bed. The place was the perfect combination of rustic and comfortable. We enjoyed doing our cooking and grilling there. Kids liked the wood-burning fireplace and kids' area complete with toys, volleyball net and field (and hideout!) to play in. We were lucky enough to find other kids as well. Hiked to Horse Creek (river). It's majestic around this area. We only ate out once because it's a small town. Lots of beauty in this area. We were not bored and the kids didn't want to leave. Alyssa was so accommodating and made sure we had everything we needed. I bet it would be beautiful in the winter. She let us bring our dog and didn't charge us a deposit OR a pet fee. We also liked eating on the porch. We had Wi-Fi in the cabin, which helped because I had no cell coverage, but could use the Wi-Fi for calling and texting. I'd like to go back when the kids are older and do the rafting. Rates were reasonable.

Room tip: Cabins are close together. If you want privacy, as for the one on the end. They all have beautiful views, they are in the forest!
Reviewed August 26, 2014

Allyssa accommodated us on a last minute call in the Delta House. She is super nice! The house is so spacious, clean, and the location is secluded. She even gives you access to washer n dryers in her garage. The kitchen is fully equipped with everything! No limitations. I found all the dishes clean and even spices and oil to use. We went rafting with their local business and they are so professional! So happy the Mckenzie ranger recommended this place to us. Thank you horse creek lodge!

Reviewed August 22, 2014

This was my first time river rafting and it was the best experience ever!! It was a trip that was planned at the last minute (less than 24 hours) but Gary was very flexible, professional, and accommodating. When we arrived everything was clearly explained to us. Gary and his wife were so hospitable and welcoming. There were wet suits, various fleece/nylon outerwear, and booties that we got to borrow and boy did these items make a difference. It was a rather cool day and the water was freezing so all the layers kept us really warm which in turn made the trip enjoyable. After we changed we hopped on a yellow school looking like bus and traveled less than 10 minutes to our destination where we were going to start rafting. Gary asked us if we were flexible with our time and we were so he started us a little farther down the river. When we were all in the boat and ready to start, Gary gave a very clear and concise overview of the raft, safety procedures, and what he expected from us as paddlers. To be honest I was nervous at first because I didn't know what to expect but I can say that Gary put me a little more at ease. Along the way we got to stop and touch a Hot Spring . . . so nice! Then we stopped to jump off a large rock in a very deep area of the river. What a blast! Gary was also really accommodating to my 11 year old son. He related very well with him and told him he could sit in the front of the boat and help paddle. In this way he got a little more wave action and a lot more wet which my son loved! Along the way Gary also taught us a synchronized paddle technique. Then we stopped shortly for snack/lunch which Gary so graciously provided. He parked the raft and let us off for a bathroom break at a nearby campground. Then he proceeded to set up our food table. When we got back from the bathrooms everything was nicely displayed for us to eat. We had sliced apples, granola bars, string cheese, trail mix, and even homemade brownies! Shortly we returned to the boat. Our next stop was to swim in "the vortex" Super fun! The sun had come out by this time so it was getting nice and warm and not too cold once we got out of the water. Throughout this entire journey Gary was patient and easy to talk to. We never felt rushed at our stops. It was a unique trip that I felt was customized to us and what we wanted to do. Gary was also very knowledgeable and experienced in rafting/paddling in that we hit the waves just perfectly on each one. When we returned there were clean towels and hot showers waiting for us! I couldn't have asked or dreamed of a better first experience rafting! We will definitely return to this location and make it a family tradition to stop at Horse Creek Lodge every time we visit Oregon! Thank you Gary and Alyssa for the best time ever!

Trip type: Traveled with family