“Absolutely lacking in Customer Service!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in McKenzie Bridge
Belknap Hot Springs Lodge and Gardens
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in McKenzie Bridge
Salem, Oregon
“Absolutely lacking in Customer Service!”
Reviewed July 23, 2010

Well, I don't know why a beautiful place can't find any decent, trained people to work there? For the second year in a row we went to Belknap hoping last year was just an off experience. Before reading this take note we travel often and had just come from another resort without one complaint and have NEVER wriiten a bad review on trip advisor till now. But, out of kindness to other people want to warn others that Belknap"s beauty is only thanks to nature not the staff.
We're both trained professionals in customer service skills and know how employees who enjoy their jobs and are trained to communicate that to customers can make or break a place and Belknap management better wake up!
Starting with the clerk at the desk not greeting us when we approached to being told our room had not even been started to be cleaned and it went down from there, was not a good enough hint for us and we continued to try and think positive thoughts. The clerk while checking us in continually stayed in a sidebar conversation with her fellow clerk in regards to an unhappy customer situation she was having and never gave us her full attention should 've been another hint but, we still kept thinking positive.
She called the maid to begin to get our room cleaned since it was check-in time and offered to allow us to stay one hour after check-out when we left which seemed decent to us.We sat in the hot lobby and waited for almost an hour and decided to check if our room was available and it was. Our room which was supposed to have air-conditioning was hot and smelled of strong urine odor.I asked the maid to help me with getting the air condition running and she told me she couldn't see a thing without her glasses and she didn't have them. My husband and I figured out the system and even opened the windows to get rid of the smell and I could see for sure the maid needed her glasses!!! Crumbs, cobwebs in the vents over the bed and dirt were everywhere and then the strong urine smell were a turn off for sure.
I went down with my husband to complain and also to report that he had broke the plastic key ring for our room by accident trying to juggle luggage and open the door. A cheap plastic key ring (which we would've paid for) and the desk clerk belittled and shamed him and made him go back up the hot 3 flights of stairs to retrieve the other half so she could glue it. I'm talking a cheap key-ring and we were treated like criminals and with no respect or concern and the fact that we were senior citiizens and then when I reported our concerns, just a flippant I'll have the maid take care of that tomorrow.
The next day no maid service, no clean towels nothing and after being treated so badly at the front desk we just made due. Every person we encountered seemed to have a chip on their shoulder. Even the couple that ran the grill outside were rude and insulting. My husband picked up his bun on his hamburger and was told by the man "you don't listen I told you I put ketchup and mustard on there" We informed him we were checking because I had asked for no mustard and he replied, "I put no stinking mustard on yours lady" Needless to say we didn't eat there again!
We will not be returning to Belknap again unless they give their staff some customer service training and feel it is such a shame that a beautiful place like this can be ruined by staff that are allowed to treat people like this!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
9 Thank TheDons_10

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed July 21, 2010

We tent camped two nights over the river The bathroom/shower was frighteningly dirty, the trash was never emptied & we never saw any service staff in 3 days. We did, however get soaked by the erratic sprinkler system.
And...the pool....terribly dirty....is that black mold?????
Furthermore, I echo comments about the staff rudeness,
both on the phone & at the desk.
We had a similar skunk cabin experience a few years ago and were relocated to the house across the river, which had an abundance of mouse droppings.
What a shame. It seems to get worse every year. This was our last trip.
Owners.......let's hear from you!!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank vjmos
Corvallis Oregon
Reviewed July 8, 2010

stayed in the camp ground on the back side of the river it was very nice as allways
Sandy behind the desk was the best in many ways
I cant wait to do it again.
Ken Lamb

[---]

Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank kenlamb
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Reviewed June 18, 2010

Attended a wedding and the lodge needs to be upgraded. Carpet was bad, counter person was rude and the grounds and ponds need cleaning. Could be a wonderful place to visit if improved.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ofrcboy
Virginia
Reviewed June 7, 2010

We spent 3 nights in the lodge on the first floor. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. It was relaxing and the staff was very friendly, especially Sandy at the front desk. The hot springs were wonderful. The setting is remote but very scenic along the Mackenzie River. They have beautiful gardens across the river.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank antiquersVirginia
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed June 6, 2010

I should have reviewed TripAdvisor before I booked at Belknap. We rented a cabin for the weekend only for the purpose of sleeping there. Our friend was getting married at a local campground and we stayed there most of the time. Our cabin smelled of skunk, the bathroom sink was stopped up, I wore sandals in the shower as it didn't look very clean and the stovetop was filthy. To say the bed had a queen size mattress was incredible. It was so low and flat you'd almost have to crawl out of bed to get up. The mattress hasn't been replaced in many many years. The carpet was filthy. The dishes were stuck together and wet and certainly didn't use them. When I told the desk clerk about the skunk smell, he told me the housekeeping staff was done for the day and the materials were all locked up, he'd try to find me something. Nothing ever materialized. The next day while we were gone to the wedding, the housekeeping staff emptied the garbage, that was all and no spray. We left late on the 2nd day and didn't even spend the night it was so bad. I've camped and traveled all of the country via car and motorcycle, I've never had a room this bad. It's a shame cuz it's in Oregon.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TrykerLady
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed May 11, 2010

do not go here HORRID management
Review of Belknap Hot Springs Lodge and Gardens by 8041

I had been going to belknap hot springs for over 10 years...NOT ANYMORE .Marlene the so called manager is very un professional to run such an establishment, front desk staff rude and belittling..PLUS there was A RAT in the pool, when i reported it , no one came to get it out of the water or test the water to see if the chemicals were still fine in the pool. DONT waste your money here It is NOT what it use to be, the grounds are run down also.. My daughter came on sunday for mothers day, she need to pay a fee and we knew that, when she went to pay the $8 to go into the pool, the charged her $10.. said there is a min purchase, sounds like racketeering to me, take you family elsewhere...STAY FAR FAR away!
Pros: not one

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
The Wayfarer Resort
Shelter Cove Resort & Marina
Shelter Cove Resort & Marina
#1 of 3 in Crescent Lake

Been to Belknap Hot Springs Lodge and Gardens? Share your experiences!