“They aim to please!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in McKenzie Bridge
Belknap Hot Springs Lodge and Gardens
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in McKenzie Bridge
Missouri
“They aim to please!”
Reviewed October 11, 2009

The staff was incredibly responsive and willing to go the extra mile. I stayed in one of the cabins and it was so quiet and peaceful. The main lodge was great for our group meeting. The grounds have 2 hotspring fed pools, great walking paths and incredible scenery.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Thompson123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Portland, OR
Reviewed October 2, 2009

On the evening of Oct 1st my wife had gone online to reserve what appeared to be the last available room in the lodge. After completing the reservation form on the Belknap website, including our credit card number, etc, she confirmed the information. The next page she was directed to said that her information was saved and submitted, and that we'd be receiving email notifications with additional info and a confirm. A minute later she gets and email stating that our information was received by Belknap and it was being processed, and to expect a second email with a confirmation number. Waited...waited...waited...finally late afternoon the following day I called in to make sure we did indeed have our room (things were booking up quickly since we needed a room for Thurs of the next week). Calling in to Belknap with anything other than to give them money will provide you with a fantastic lesson in customer service; similar to how reading The Darwin Awards teaches you the importance of common sense. The first woman I'd spoken to gave me the impression that she'd be the type of individual to initiate a screaming match if given the slightest provocation, there was just that undercurrent. You know what I mean; we've all spoken to those people. Thankfully my questions, and the sequential logic skills required to answer them, proved too much for what I can only assume was her 4th grade education, and she decided to transfer me to her manager, Marlene. Fantastic, now I can speak with someone capable of telling me why my reservation was never made, nor was any notification sent stating as much, and why there was now another couple reserved for the room we believed was ours, even though I was just told that there was "something received by them from us about a #2 being reserved for next week" as they put it (covering their own butts by keeping it vague). How an individual so completely devoid of customer service skills is in a management position ANYWHERE is beyond me, especially in an economy like this, with OR having a 12% unemployment rate...with an extremely talented pool of potential employees willing to work for peanuts. It boggles the mind! She basically told me that it was an issue with their software, and that she'd be glad to find out what had happened and get back to me (though she failed to tell me how this would get us the room I'd thought we had reserved, or a replacement at the least). She offered us a cabin at the regular rate, which I declined. When I offered to pay the rate we thought we were paying for the room we thought we'd reserved, she declined. At that point she basically told me to take my business elsewhere and began to hang up on me. If you give these people your money and time, you're a fool.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank EricTravel2009

Travelers are raving about these McKenzie Bridge hotels

work
Reviewed September 24, 2009

We stayed this last weekend at Belknap, and although the gardens are absolutely beautiful, that is the ONLY redeeming quality about this place. We booked almost 6 months prior to our event due to bringing our schnauzer with us and needed pet friendly lodging. The front desk folks, who are the rudest women in the world, assured us that their cabins are rustic but lovely, are nothing but liars!!!! The cabin was filthy from floors to curtains to countertops! One of the light fixtures hanging on the wall was halfway filled with dry dead bugs, that they could have vacummed out but chose to leave it for mood lighting? I'm sure the floors have never been mopped since the cabin was built. The cupboard underneath the sink still had garbage in it from previous renters, and there were so many mouse turds that the floor of the cupboard was black!!! There was also a strip of aluminum that was partially screwed down under the sliding glass door that ripped my foot open from a screw that hadn't been seated all the way, and had to come home and have stitches and a tetnus shot. When I told the horrible women up at reception desk about my foot they wouldn't even look at me! I also work in customer service and if I ever treated our clients the way they treated me I would no longer have a job!!!!

• Stayed September 2009
4 Thank lee1207
western OR
Reviewed September 20, 2009

We arrived with a lg. group of friends;some tenting it,etc. but we chose a rustic dog friendly cabin. Opened the door to unbelievable skunk odor- window valances have 1/4" dirt on them; seats of chairs had to be covered with trash bags; trash can full to overflowing, carpet dirty with unvacuumed look!
Table top looked as though people had eaten BBQ on it-without plates! Told desk clerk about it and she got me a trash bag! At checkout she literally said "well, we are in nature ; skunks are not under our control- you could have left!"

• Stayed September 2009
3 Thank weareOregonians
Idaho
Reviewed September 8, 2009

We spend the weekend at Belknap for a Wedding. A very large group of family and friends rented rooms. The price to rent one of the gardens is outrageous considering the rental for chairs, etc...is all seperate. On the day of the Wedding it started to rain. We were told that we could rent a canopy for 375.00! I couldn't believe how much they wanted. We ended up purchasing 4 similar canopy's in town and only paid 190.00 for all of them. The rooms in the lodge were horrible. Our room had no air conditioning. Instead there was an old dirty fan on the floor. To make it worse the screens on all of the windows were damaged so bugs came in whenever the windows were opened. The corners on the floor of the shower were disgusting and hadn't been wiped out. When I opened up the dresser drawers to attempt to put clothes away they were gross. There were crumbs and something sticky inside the drawers. This awful room cost my family almost 300 dollars for the two nights. The Continental breakfast is only served between 7:30 and 8:30 am. There were so many fly's in the dining area that it was impossible to enjoy breakfast. The worst part was when I got a glass of orange juice from the machine and a small bug came out with the juice. To top it all off The Manager was a very rude women and cared nothing for our comfort, only our money. It's really too bad because the land around the lodge is beautiful. I would never go back.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank cstanley521
Portland, OR
Reviewed September 2, 2009

We got married on one of the lawns at Belknap and invited our guests to stay the entire weekend. We arrived on Friday and left Monday. We loved our time there, and got rave reviews from our friends & family.

the GROUNDS: This is obviously one of the absolute highlights of Belknap. Our guests enjoyed strolling around the gardens, watching the river or listening to it from their rooms, roasting s'mores over the firepit on the porch, and soaking in the HEAVENLY pool. Of course, the lawn where we held our wedding ceremony provided a picturesque backdrop.

LODGING: Our guests used 2 of the Yale houses, all but 2 of the lodge rooms, as well as a couple tent and RV sites. Everything was clean and comfortable. We had read other reviews that described it as being in terrible condition, and so almost didn't even make the drive to visit Belknap and consider it for our wedding. I am SOO glad that we did. It seems that some people write nasty reviews in hopes of being offered a complimentary stay. If you think about it, what are the chances that a place could even stay open (and pass health codes) if it had a problem with rodents? This is simply not true of Belknap. Granted, some of the rooms are pretty basic (little more than a bed and a bathroom), but if you're going to Belknap, you're really not going there to watch TV or surf the internet. All of our guests found their rooms clean and comfortable. If you go in the summer and you're sensitive to heat, you may want to reserve a room with A/C; some rooms have it, while others don't. Their website is really helpful in this regard, because it clearly explains the differences of each room.

GROUP MEETING SPACE: Belknap has a room called the Great Room... we jokingly called it the "not-so-great room." There's nothing really wrong with it, but there also isn't much to make it really appealing. Fortunately, we had beautiful weather, so our guests used the patio more than the room itself. The Great Room did provide us with the space we needed to gather everyone and show a slideshow the evening before the wedding.

STAFF: Marlene, the manager, was great. She spent a couple hours with us when we were checking the place out -- she showed us every single room that wasn't booked, walked us around the entire grounds, and drove over to the Yale houses with us so we could see the insides of those. The weekend of the wedding, she allowed our guests to stay in the pool after hours and assured us not to worry about anything -- she wanted everyone to enjoy themselves. It was great having the MANAGER around so much; at some other places, you would only have entry-level employees who can't answer your questions or take care of things quickly.
Penny, the wedding coordinator, used to do event coordinating for a living. The weekend of our wedding, she was VERY helpful (my mom kept saying how great she was). Even though she didn't have to, she helped transport our rental equipment from the lodge over to the lawn where we held our ceremony. She really went the extra mile to help us pull it all off. My one critique would be that, in our emails and phone calls leading up to the wedding, she always seemed stressed out, which made me feel stressed out.
Another small critique would be that we had to cancel one night of our stay, and they didn't offer to waive the cancellation fee or give us a voucher for another stay in the future. When we rented almost the entire lodge, plus 2 houses, plus tent & RV sites for 2-3 nights, I would have appreciated them being forgiving about canceling one room for one night. Granted, we cancelled this reservation two days before our arrival.

FINAL NOTE: I learned of Belknap from a close friend whose parents have been going for years. They have always been happy with their stay. I look forward to going back for years to come.

• Stayed June 2009
2 Thank TravelingCouple047
CoastalOregon
Reviewed August 3, 2009

We have spent many long weekends in an RV at the resort over the last 12 years or so and have watched the resort be landscaped so beautifully with the addition of the steel bridge over the McKenzie, the Chinese gardens and of course the Secret Garden. We even rented several cabins, an RV site and a tent site for a special anniversary celebration. Then it seems about 4 or 5 years ago things started to go downhill. Was there a change of ownership? management? general downturn in the economy? Maintenance is NOT good - the beautiful gardens that once sported dozens and dozens of rose bushes and the fountain areas are hardly taken care of at all even though an effort has been made to plant annual flowers.

We love the 2 hot pools which seem to be maintained well - they were in fact completely redone a few years ago. But the bathrooms ....... oh my gosh!! The ones down by the lodge are OK but open showers with no privacy just for hot pool bathers, even though I heard the desk clerk offer that alternative to an 80 year old lady who had complained there was no hot water in her room!! The bathrooms by the upper pool defy description! They were so bad (filthy) that I took photos and took them to the main office. That did at least prompt maintenance to do some rapid cleanup but it's hard to expect campers to take care of facilities when obviously management doesn't care. We were even told that RV-ers are self contained and shouldn't need to use tose facilities!

That being said ..... the resort area on the Mackenzie River is absolutely beautiful and High Country Expeditions whose office is at the lodge offers awesome white water trips with excellent guides, There are numerous hikes within less than 20 miles to gorgeous waterfalls and many trails to wander around the resort itself. Hopefully owners and management read these various reviews and take note. Oh to have the Belknap Hot Springs Resort of 10 years ago back!

Would I return again - yes - to enjoy the location, but you can bet we'll not use the bathroom facilities!

For anyone planning a trip - make sure you gas up and if camping bring all the food you need - the closest convenience store/gas station is 10 miles south. WI-FI is only available in the lodge itself, downstairs, not in each room. There is a grill/outdoor eating at the lodge but the closest restaurant is again several miles away.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near McKenzie Bridge
McKenzie River Inn Lodging & Fine Dining
McKenzie River Mountain Resort
The Wayfarer Resort
Loloma Lodge
Loloma Lodge
#3 of 7 in McKenzie Bridge

Been to Belknap Hot Springs Lodge and Gardens? Share your experiences!