“Worth Staying”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in McKenzie Bridge
Belknap Hot Springs Lodge and Gardens
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in McKenzie Bridge
Beaverton, Oregon
“Worth Staying”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Although not perfect, it filled the needs we require for a vacation. The bed was comfortable. The shower w/ jacuzzi tub was awesome! Several picnic tables next to the river was calming, and entertaining to watch the floats going downriver. Very nice bridge crossing over the river. Lots of flowers. The gardens were a little overgrown in some areas, but still very appealing. enjoyed the Secret Garden immensely! Would definitely stay again!

Room Tip: South side rooms in hot weather get quite warm, and no air conditioning.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Oregon City, Oregon
Reviewed July 3, 2013

This is my first review EVER of an establishment (after years of using TripAdvisor), but I felt compelled to warn people about the terrible service, rude staff, poor management, and accommodations at this "lodge" and campground. I have stayed everywhere from a Super 8 to the Four Seasons, so I feel my expectations for service and rooms are reasonable.

My husband and I stayed at Belknap in October for our anniversary. The weather was cold and rainy...perfect for a dip in the hot springs. The staff at the time were helpful and our lodge room was satisfactory, although old and in need of updating. We enjoyed our stay and looked forward to the time when we could bring our children with us to experience the area and hot springs.

During this stay, we were able to overlook the broken fan, broken baseboards, dirty refrigerator, ants in the bathroom, old furnishings and decor, broken screen, collapsing bathroom floor, lack of a dishwasher, lack of A/C, and many other missing amenities. But, the extreme rudeness of the staff was enough to make us want to end our family vacation a day early.

When we booked our family trip this July, we paid $130 per night for Cabin #2. When we arrived, we realized there was no air conditioning in the cabin and it was 100 degrees outside. We were given the option of moving to a third floor room (no elevator) in the lodge with A/C, but declined because we needed to keep the kitchen space. If you dare to book a room after this review and the many others on this site, pay close attention to whether or not the unit you want has A/C! We pulled the fan out of the closet but it was broken, so we asked for an additional fan and were told another one would be brought to us. After several hours and no second fan, we asked again, and were told that all the other staff members had gone home and there was no one to bring us another fan. OK...we'll just open the windows and it will cool down at night, right? WRONG! We went to open the windows and the screen was broken on one of the windows, so we couldn't get a draft going. When we finally went to sleep around 12:00, it was still 80 degrees in the room. We had planned to stay two nights, but after one night, we were ready to go. When my husband explained our situation and asked nicely for a refund for our second night, "Marleen", the front desk person (or so we thought at the time) told us basically "no way" At that point, we decided to stay at least for the afternoon, then decide later if we wanted to head home that night. Also, at some point that morning, the maid came in and only dropped off fresh hand-towels and wash-clothes...no new towels. We went to the front desk to ask for replacement towels and "Marleen" said that if the towels weren't on the floor in the bathroom, they wouldn't be replaced. We must have missed the sign on that one. We had left our towels on the floor in the main living space...the maid had to walk over them to get to the bathroom. The bathroom was so tiny, there wasn't really room to leave them on the floor! Someone eventually did bring us more towels, thank goodness.

We all sat around to watch a movie that afternoon which we had rented from the lodge for $4 the night before. Half-way through, after enduring several DVD "skips", we decided to just stop the movie and bring it back. When we brought the DVD back and told Marleen that the DVD skipped, we didn't get the finish the movie, and we'd like our $4 back, she asked what room we were in. We said, "Cabin 2", she laughed and said she'd "review it". Needless to say, we didn't get our money back for that either. I went back to the front desk later that day and she was indeed playing the movie back, but it wasn't skipping. I forwarded the disc to the skipping spots in the movie to show her when it was skipping on the TV unit in our cabin, but it was not skipping on her TV. She didn't really care. Also, during the time I was going through the DVD, I heard her talking to other guests in the lobby and she was saying, "I just can't take these guests anymore. Maybe it's just time that I retire and let the young ones deal with them." I chose not to say anything because I didn't want to assume she was talking about us, but I thought, "Wow, if that's the way she talks about guests in the public foyer to other guests, I don't want to imagine the way she talks about guests behind closed doors." I told her to just keep the $4. I couldn't believe she wouldn't just accept my word that the DVD was skipping and return the money. Anyone who knows DVD players knows that discs skip on some units and not on others. At that point, I had had enough of her poor treatment and asked if I could have the name of the manager or owner. She said, "Oh, we don't give the names of the managers or owner out...they don't want to be bothered." I replied, "So I can't call Belknap Hot Springs and ask to speak to a manager?" She laughed again and said "No". She asked for my name and number and said that a manager would call me. At that point, we decided it wasn't worth $130 to stay another night and endure any more rudeness and heat, so we packed up and went home a day early. On the way home, I Googled the name of the manager and owner for Belknap Hot Springs and guess what??? Marleen was listed as the manager!!! She just stood there and lied to me earlier! I'm sure she has no intention of calling me to listen to my complaints about the management and accommodations. I've never before experienced such immature, rude treatment before at a location which is supposed to be about serving customers.

This is how crazy I think Marleen is...before we left the room, I made a video tape of the way we left the room. Dishes were washed, no trash was left out, furniture was in the right place...everything was as it should be. I did that to make sure that I had evidence in the event the nutty manager tries to charge us for anything extra!

Needless to say, we will NOT be visiting Belknap Hot Springs again. I recommend to everyone to find another hot springs spot...Oregon is full of them!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank Julia36V
Newport, Oregon
Reviewed June 23, 2013

With great hesitation I booked a cabin at Belknap Hot Springs -- I had had a really bad time here a few years back with a filthy room and totally unresponsive front desk staff. But we were driving through, knew the hot springs pools were great, and decided to give it another go. It is much improved. The front desk people were more pleasant to start. The cabin we had (#2) had a great deck and nice fire pit and wasn't as close to the neighbors as some. It was dark inside, but the bedding was clean. The floors were still a bit dirty, especially in the bathroom. We used the upper pool and the water was great, although the changing rooms were as before -- no toilet paper, dirty shower stalls, and tissue all over the floor. Unappealing. Like a public pool with no maintainence budget. The other unresolved issue, in my opinion, is internet access. They give you a little slip of paper with access to limited usage of internet, and that only in the lodge. While I was in the lodge using the internet, several people were complaining that their minutes had run out already and were asking for more, but were offered more only if they paid. I can understand not having wifi on the grounds, as it does make you unwind more if you can't check your work email while in your RV or cabin, but in this day and age it is pretty unforgiveable to parcel out tiny amounts of free access. That said, the gardens are beautiful and the place is a great location for family vacations and weekend getaways. Not really a romance spot. My friends and I enjoyed our time and given this experience I would say I would come back. It's expensive for what you get, and the quirks are there, but it is a unique experience and the water is great. PS: The on-site food is very limited - be sure to bring food with you. The closest cafes and grocery store are several miles away.

Room Tip: Cabin 2 has less traffic, cabin 3 has a nice deck but is closer to neighbors. All others are in the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank NewportMania
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights and had a fantastic experience not only because of the location but because of the friendly and helpful nature of the front desk staff (don't know all their names but my top vote of thanks goes to Sandy who was so accommodating from start to end and helped promptly with all our needs and questions). Sure, this establishment is a little rustic and its focus is not on finest wining and dining experience but the facilities of the excellent hot pools onsite plus proximity to nearby activities is second to none. I found the breakfast overall to be satisfying although having to pay for milk for cereal is a bit much. Enjoyed the eggs, fruit and toasted bagels though.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank MikeOz23
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed June 19, 2013

My husbands birthday happen to fall on Fathers day weekend this year. We usaully go some where on his birthday. He picked Belknap Springs. We were there the 1st time on our 2nd Wedding anny.(21 years ago). Before all the upgrades.
What a wonderful place to reflect and relax. This is a place to "UNPLUG" and remember the Beauty the Lord has made for us, It is all there. Yes there was a small problem with housekeeping. But as soon as I brought it to the front desks attention it was takend care of almost before I could get back to our room.The front desk Lady had very good "customer service" skills.
When we got home I realized I forgot the wall charger for my phone. I called Monday and got the Manager , she check the inventory of things left and didnt find it. She told me she would go up and check again after her shift. She called back and said she couldn't find it. I gave her a discription and she went to the extra mile to talk to the person that cleaned the room. It had been listed as a commutor cord. She told me she would be going to Eugene(which is where we live) Tueday and would bring it if I could meet her. She called me when she knew her time frame in fact she call me several times through the day to let me know where she was going. I met her on W11th, I told her thankyou and she even gave me a HUG!! Also explained that the housekeeping problem had been resolved.
In short, yes there are a few things that aren't just perfect. I have read the other reviews,but they are working on them and that speaks volumes. What was perfect were the walks in the forest, the view of the river, the wonderful Hot springs. The smiles on all the staff. The price of the room, the comfort of bed, and most of all the relaxing no RELAXING and renewing time we had there. THANK YOU BELKNAP SPRINGS

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Venice, FL
Reviewed June 15, 2013

This is a very unique property. We stayed at the lodge, but most guests were in RV's. From a RV point, this has to be the nicest RV park ever. From a lodge perspective, some basic amenities are missing. The old fashioned tube TV doesn't actually get TV. It is used for DVD's and unfortunately we had to hunt for the cables and hook it up to even use it for that. There is no internet in the room, which put my husband into withdrawal. There is no a/c. Its not that hot outside, but our westward facing upstairs room was like an oven when we checked in. A small stand fan allowed us to pull in some cooler air. The view of the McKenzie River was super and it was running very full so the sound of the river masked other noises, however, I wonder when the river level is lower and quieter if there wouldn't be a lot of issues with sound. We were right next to the snack bar with its music playing. It didn't do a lot of business the night we were there, but the smell of grease and smoke did drift up to our balcony. In the summer this could be more of an issue. Daybreak is around 5 am, but coffee is :not available until 7:15 and breakfast is from 7:30-8:30. The drapes do not block the sun, nor is there a coffeepot or microwave in the room. We were long gone by 7:15 so cannot comment on the coffee or breakfast. I believe this late hour is due to the convenience of the staff rather than the convenience of the guests. The room layout was very chopped up and obviously had been changed over time. The refrigerator was hidden in a dark corner and the bathroom contained 2 shower stalls which is a pretty unique feature. The gardens and 2 hot water pools were very nice. We used the upper pool in the shade although more people used the lower pool in the sun with the view of the river. The river paths were nice and you are not far from Proxy Falls, Koosah Falls and Sahalie Falls and other guests mentioned that they had really enjoyed the raft trip that emanates from the lobby. The snack bar serves $7 burgers, but their overhead is also high. Since most visitors are RV'ers the shortage of restaurants is not a big problem. Likewise for those who rent their cottages.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Creswell, Oregon
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I stayed at camp yale with my husband and our 3 children and we has a blast!!!!! The cabin was spacious, clean, and very accomidating. We swam in the hot pools every day and we were very successful on our "geo cashing" adventure! We found the staff to be very helpful and knowledgable. We can't wait to go back!!!!!! This place is a real gem!!!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near McKenzie Bridge
McKenzie River Mountain Resort
McKenzie River Inn Lodging & Fine Dining
The Wayfarer Resort
Shelter Cove Resort & Marina
Shelter Cove Resort & Marina
#1 of 3 in Crescent Lake

Been to Belknap Hot Springs Lodge and Gardens? Share your experiences!