“This is Not a Resort”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in McKenzie Bridge
Belknap Hot Springs Lodge and Gardens
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in McKenzie Bridge
Reviewed May 2, 2012

Though there must be an army of groundskeepers to maintain the gardens that will delight you, there's only 1 (or, at checkout, 2) employees who interface with guests. Owners subcontract with a food cart which will open soon; a vendor offers activities on-site; but this is not a place that caters to the needs of anyone. It is odd that they have no jetted spa pool and the best time for those who want to soak in tranquility will be when families migrate off-site for their dinner. Or pay for day use after folks have checked out and prior to the next group arriving for 3pm checkin. As of this writing they are in the midst of replacing carpet on the 2nd floor: an inconvenience. Any noise from hallways will clearly find its way into your room, carpet or no. You are off the grid: no cell connection, no TV signal. If you are in search of Oregon's beauty, you will pass through it on your journey here: make sure you invest the leisure requried to discover the hidden garden. Between the roar of the river and evening mists rising from the lodge pool, you may have some mystical moments.

Room Tip: Room 6 is above the golf cart corral; the VCR player has a screen the size of a transister radio.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank RogerDave

Reviewed April 16, 2012

Our family just purchased an R.V. and wanted to make our first voyage to Belknap. First phone call really turned me off. The lady on the phone (who turns out to be manager and relative of owner) was so rude I didn't even make a reservation. I tried on line and made a mistake. Mostly because I was still upset about how she treated me on the phone. I ended up having to call back and talk to her again! This time I explained I made a mistake on line and her reply was " it only does what you tell it to do". I ended up telling her she was rude and got her help to fix my reservation. During our stay she was not at the lodge and we had a wonderful time. Staff was wonderful and it is a beautiful place. But when I tried to find out who the manager was I sad to find out it was her. The staff was very careful when talking about her. It was like they were afraid. I hope some day the owners figure out they are pushing away people every day she works.
And to respond to the other person posting about othe local resorts posting. I am from Eugene and have heard stories and now saw it with my own eyes and all the posts complaining about her are true!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank Douglas G
Reviewed April 6, 2012

I arrived for a simple one night getaway, aiming for a peaceful evening away from it all. I was in the lodge, room 1. I arrived early and noticed immediately when I sat on the bed while changing into my suit that the mattress is old and pits in the center. (Sleeping on it was difficult, at best- terribly uncomfortable, I can't imagine how bad it would be with 2 people). The heat was hard to regulate- it was snowy outside and very hot in my room.

The room itself was a bit unclean- bits of things on the floor that stuck to feet and socks, the linens were old - My fitted sheet wouldn't stay fitted on the bed. I was unhappy with the room overall, but it was a long drive and I was looking forward to the hot springs- and I was determined to have a good time.

The single towel I had was not enough to dry my hair- old, tattered and worn. With snow on the ground, I took my book to the springs, and was stunned with the overwhelming smell of chlorine. It bothered my eyes, so I didn't stay in long, and with the single towel, I was freezing by the time I got back to my room. The desk clerk must have been having a bad day, as She was unfriendly- when I tried to get her attention to ask for directions for dinner she ignored me.

I picked up a deli dinner at the store down the road, and also bought a 6 pack of beer. As I walked in to return to my room to eat, the shy desk clerk came out of nowhere to insist there was no glass allowed- I had to argue a bit to make her understand I was going to my room, not the springs.

My quiet trip came to a close early. I went down for breakfast and had a half stale pastry and a cup of coffee, again reading my book. I returned to the breakfast bar for a bit of fruit, and an older woman became very upset with me for 'eating more than allowed'. When I walked toward the desk clerk to make a complaint, she looked at me and walked away. I'd had enough.

After checking out, I learned of other places to stay in the area, and will probably try the hotel in Rainbow when I come back. The area is truly beautiful, but Belknap springs is a low quality tourist trap that I had to learn the hard way.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
8  Thank Mary P
Reviewed April 1, 2012

After going to this place for the last 9 years, this will be our last time. Watch for those hidden cameras and keep in mind that you might be kicked out of the resort for changing in your room. The manager and staff have no people skills and before they ruin this place, they should change jobs, because this is definitely not their calling. The rooms and cabins are outdated, bathroom rooms cannot close, vents are full in insulation coming down on you in small pieces, tiles around the pools all broken up. And make sure you do not bring kids because their balls will be confiscated, notes will be put on your account and you will be in trouble if you get out of the pool and the floor gets wet where you step. Never again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
10  Thank Carminebone
Reviewed March 28, 2012

My wife and I stayed in Cabin #5 and paid just under $180 for a one night stay. Figured we'd splurge a bit. We had no TV reception, no music but the Lodge had DVD's for rent....at $4 each. There was one "Presto Log" and we asked for another one and were told we could "buy" a packet of firewood. No matches were provided and we had to ask for some at the front desk, we were told to return the remainder of the matchbook upon checkout. .There were no towels available for use at the "pools". You'd figure they'd provide some firewood and a complimentary DVD or music CD for the people renting cabins. All this for $180/night ??? Made my day.

The "Hot Springs" were just two moderate sized swimming pools (4' to 5' deep) with the water pumped in from the river and laced with a perceptable amount of chlorine. Almost like a motel swimming pool with a big heater. This is not a natural hot spring, maybe the water is sourced from a hot spring and that's about it. Had to enjoy the "pools" between 9am and 9pm as they're closed the remainder fo the time. No on-site food was available and the few things in the Lodge Office area were as you can guess...expensive.

The cabin was actually nice, clean and in good condition (the only reason for a two-star rating). Also the cabins are interspersed with the RV sites which was questionable. I should've brought my RV and saved a bundle.

As I said before, we figured we'd splurge a bit and soon decided that our first visit will be our last. Not worth the prices charged and the limited benefits of staying in one of the high-priced units.

Room Tip: Find a different Hot Spring to visit. Save your money.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Lee T
Reviewed March 27, 2012

We have stayed at Belknap in our RV many, many times and the riverside or garden view RV spots are hard to beat. The lodge offer rooms for friends that are meeting us there and recently we rented a couple cabins for a family gathering for my fathers 80th birthday. They were clean and comfortable but lacked accessories in the kitchen. There were no wine glasses, limited utensils and the pots/pans were ready for the dumpster. A little more effort needs to be made in the cabin details to get them up to par with the setting and overall great Belknap experience. The hiking in the area is wonderful. Downhill skiing is about 40 minutes up the road while cross country/showshoe places are even closer than that. Summer rafting is fantastic. Or just hang-out and relax in the pools. I have to admit that I have been reticent about reviewing Belknap because we love it and go there so much that we kinda want to keep it to ourselves as our little secret. But that's not fair so maybe see you up there sometime?

Room Tip: Get a room in the lodge with a view of the river for sure. The newer cabins are especially nice for...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank SteveTheStoneGuy
Reviewed March 5, 2012

I just returned from a 3 day weekend at Belknap Hot Springs Lodge. The Lodge has personality, the staff was always very friendly and helpful, even when I overheard an afternoon customer being VERY demanding. Whenever we needed directions, recommendations for food, a wine bottle opener (they even gave us wine glasses) they were always helpful.

The Hot Springs pools were incredible! Especially the upper pool under the stars. The upper pool never had more than four people in it! Breakfast was fine, bagels, pastries, hard boiled eggs, fruit and beverages.

We hiked about 5 miles in the snow. Well marked trails in a beautiful wonderland across 2 bridges. Coming back to the hot springs topped it off. The Secret Garden was filled with fountains and roman columns. Would have been even more beautiful in bloom instead of buried in snow!

Loved reading in the lobby with all the windows letting in the sun. Also upstairs sitting area, very cozy.

Went to recommended Holiday Farms for a steak dinner with grilled caesar salad. Fantastic, and light on the budget. Also went to Takotas, thought it was a hamburger joint, but surprise...had a hazelnut encrusted chicken dish that was wonderful.

Thank you Belknap Hot Springs for the wonderful weekend! Your thoughtful team made our trip even better. We will be back.

Room Tip: #4 over river
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
McKenzie River Inn
#3 of 3 in Vida
McKenzie River Mountain Resort
The Wayfarer Resort

Been to Belknap Hot Springs Lodge and Gardens? Share your experiences!