“1st Stay In Maupin”
Review of Imperial River Co.

Imperial River Co.
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Driving through Maupin on a Central Oregon road trip we spotted the Imperial River Co. lodge as we crossed the bridge over the Deschutes. Decided to check it out as a place to stay that night. It is unique. We chose a ground level double queen room. Not nearly as nice as the double queen at The Dalles Comfort Inn where we stayed the night before and there was no AARP or Senior discount. The room was not as clean as it could have been with just a bit more effort. Minimum towels for 2 people - 2 bath towels, 2 hand towels and 2 washcloths. We didn't have expensive dinners in the restaurant that evening just chicken tenders and a French dip sandwich. The sweet potato fries were great! The continental breakfast the next morning was disappointing. There was no attendant unless you ask the front desk person for help - no clean bowls for cereal, no napkins and they were out of several items listed on the menu. A guest made a fresh pot of coffee. The saving grace for this facility was the grounds. Outside the restaurant/lounge area is a large patio/terrace with a fire pit and numerous log tables and chairs. A large grassy area slopes gently from the buildings to the river where one can sit in a log swing and enjoy the river and picturesque scenery. Would I stay here again? Perhaps if I'm in the area. Maupin is lovely. People in town are friendly. Our drive along the Deschutes river and watching the fisherman was relaxed and enjoyable.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mary R

Reviewed September 14, 2013

I stayed at the Imperial River Company the first week of September and enjoyed every minute of my stay. If you enjoy the great outdoors (rafting, fishing, hiking, bicycling, wild life, beautiful scenery, and more) Maupin, Oregon is the place to visit and the Imperial River Company is the place to stay. The owners (Rob and Susie) are the nicest people you ever wanted to get to know and the staff takes care of you more like family and just a mere guest.

My wife and I have been staying there every year at about the same time since 2010 and we have never been disappointed.

Thank you to Rob, Susie, and the entire staff for your hospitality and for making another visit to Maupin an enjoyable one.

Dave B and Jackie B

Room Tip: We've stayed in the bunkhouse each year. A very spacious room.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I took my nephews river rafting last weekend and we went with the Imperial River Rafting company and stayed at the lodge. The guide for the all day trip was excellent and the float was a blast, but the lunch was gravely disappointing. When did dried up hamburgers, corn chips and store bought potato salad become excellent food? If you are not at all food oriented it is worth staying at the Lodge because you are pretty tired after a full day of fun an excitement. There are plenty of recreational activities if you have any energy left and the rooms were reasonably clean. I enjoyed the fact that there were creative efforts put into the decor but the room coffee was horrid and coffee in the breakfast room was only a little better, still bad. There is a coffee cart on the property but after 2 attempts at morning gratification I was so apprehensive, I decided to wait till we got to Hood River. The breakfast was un-believably unappealing. There were many offerings such as chemically laden fat and sugar muffins in plastic and 3 day old pre-pealed hardboiled eggs. On the upside they did provide a dairy substitute allowing my vegan nephew to have some cereal, there was nothing he was able to eat at lunch the day before, but the chips, not knowing if the black bean burger had egg in it or not. Really if you don't care about the food or consider it as part of the price, everything else was excellent. Well, my salmon at the restaurant was over cooked but the other offerings were reasonably edible. Otherwise, very nice swing seats right by the river, friendly and helpful staff, and a very fun environment all around. Had I been able to anticipate that the edibles would be un-eddible, it would have been perfect. There are fridges in the room so if you bring your own food you will have a most splendid time all arround.

Room Tip: If you don't want a giant pelt hanging over your head, don't choose the Cattle Barron's...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank BNBbell
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Like I said, it looks nice from the road but I've been disappointed more than once.

What they do best... The bar is decent. It's not overrun by the sometimes creepy locals that hang out at the Rainbow Tavern. The bartenders tend to be attractive (always a plus) and assuming you can get their attention, you can order a decent cheeseburger and fries that usually gets to you hot. One tip... order it two levels rarer than you want. Rare is Medium... Medium will show up dry. Be prepared to remove the onions you asked them to omit.

Then the good... If you gotta bring the significant other along on the annual fishing trip they'll be charmed by the appearance of the lobby, the rooms and the grounds. They also fold the bathroom towels in charming and decorative ways.

Then the not so good... They're the fanciest place in town and they know it.

Every employee seems to come with an attitude.
The "breakfast" has a very packaged feel about it.
Relatively expensive for the area.
The food in the restaurant varies from just OK to just plain bad. And again, not cheap.
No TVs in the rooms.

The worst...

A venison burger that was inedible. Clearly the meat was local game that was processed incorrectly and was just plain gross. I wouldn't eat it. The server said that's what deer tastes like... no it's not!

Potato salad made from what I can only assume were reconstituted diced potatoes.

A grinding/whining sound from equipment under the room (I was on the second floor) that ran ALL NIGHT! Probably a compressor or a hot water recirculating pump. What was worse, the young woman at the front desk acted like she had no idea what I was talking about and couldn't be bothered with the explanation. I'm pretty sure she knew.

Room Tip: If you're upstairs in the main building go into your room and listen. If there's a humming...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank ArmenianGuido
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We went on a rafting trip but had already booked with another local company. We would try the Imperial rafting guides next time. We stayed at the hotel after our trip and were very pleased with everything.We relaxed on the lawn by the river, threw a stick for someone else's dog, enjoyed an outdoor seat at the restaurant that evening, and enjoyed a micro brew. We enjoyed the mornings continental breakfast provided for us. Everyone was helpful and friendly. We would stay here again when in the area even if we were not rafting the river. We had an upstairs room with no view but it did not matter, it was great. To us it was perfect.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Always a great time at Imperial! The rafting is epic and the Imperial has the BEST guides! They cater to the kind of group on the boat.... mellow to extreme. The lodge property is amazing too! The staff is great at tackling anything you ask and nobody says "it's not my job", they just do what it takes to make your experience terrific!

Room Tip: Get a river view room! Completely worth it!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 19, 2013

The front desk staff weren't very helpful or knowledgeable. When I arrived they were clueless about the White Water Institute and made it clear they weren't happy about taking the time to assist me and figure out where I was supposed to be. It just seems to me they should be prepared to help. I was not happy with the room cleaning service either.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Douglas P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maupin
Balch Hotel
Balch Hotel
#1 of 1 in Dufur
No photo provided
Kah-Nee-Ta Resort & Spa
Kah-Nee-Ta Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Warm Springs

Been to Imperial River Co.? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Imperial River Co.

Address: 304 Bakeoven Road, Maupin, OR 97037
Location: United States > Oregon > Maupin
Ranked #1 of 5 Specialty Lodging in Maupin
Price Range: $79 - $138 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Imperial River Co. 2.5*
Imperial River Company isn’t just a place; it is a state of mind. And our motto proves it.…Actively relaxing on the banks of the Deschutes River. Whether you have come out for the whitewater rafting, fishing, hunting, hiking, cycling, scenery, or to just get away from the big city for a weekend of relaxation and sun (we average 300 days of sun a year), Imperial River Company can more than help. Nestled directly on the banks of the Deschutes River, we are ideally situated to provide you with a relaxing environment and scenic views of the river with over 1/4 mile of river frontage. While we may be known for our beautiful lodge, scrumptious food, professionally guided whitewater rafting trips, and pheasant and chukar hunting adventures, we strive to provide more. Excellent service and a relaxing atmosphere make your stay with us that much more enjoyable. Look no further than our open-flame fire pit in our courtyard during the evenings where our guests relax and talk of the day’s successes. Come out and enjoy the best that Central Oregon has to offer. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com and Travelocity so you can book your Imperial River Co. reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Imperial River Co. Hotel Maupin