“Pleasure!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Manzanita
Zen Garden Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 3 Manzanita B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 22, 2013

A much-needed rest and retreat at the beach! The room was intimate, beautifully decorated and very calming. Delicious breakfast, with several choices, served in a lovely private dining area. We very much enjoyed talking with Mr. and Mrs. Smigal, who made us feel welcome and were very respectful of our privacy. We hope to return!

Room Tip: Two choices - the large or the small room. Each has its own dining room and is tastefully decorated...
1  Thank Robbin Isaacson D
Mrs S, Manager at Zen Garden Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Dear RobbinID,

Thank you for your lovely review; I am very glad you liked it here and please come back soon.

There are newer reviews for Zen Garden Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed September 21, 2013

We just finished up our Oregon vacation, and one of the highlights was our 2-night stay in Manzanita at the Zen Garden B&B. We stayed in the smaller Zen room and it was fine for the two of us since we were out much of the day touring along the coast. The bed was quite comfortable and we had nice breezes from the various windows in the bedroom and bathroom. We took our breakfast in the Bistro with nice views. One night we brought in a bottle of wine, cheese (and fudge) from the Tillamook Cheese Factory, a loaf of French bread from a nearby bakery, and pears from a roadside stand, and had our dinner in the Bistro before going for a walk on the beach.

One of the very nice things about the Zen Garden is that it is just a short walk to the beach and there were so few people on the beach. The B&B faces the boundary of the Nehalem State Park so you can walk along an undeveloped beach front.

Another very nice thing about the Zen Garden is Mrs. Smigel. She is a wonderful host, preparing delicious breakfasts, each evening offering us the option from among five choices. For use in our room she provided a corkscrew and, wine glasses as well a a selection of teas and a tea kettle. We also enjoyed chatting with her about the area.

I highly recommend this place and we will return for a stay if we get back to the coast.

3  Thank Nashville37205

Dear Nashville37205,

Thank you for your very kind and informative review. It was very pleasant to meet you and I enjoyed your visit.

I appreciate that you would like to recommend Zen Garden Bed and Breakfast and I look forward to your return should you want to explore some more beaches and parks nearby.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

My husband and I had little time to find a place to stay in Manzanita, so we were happy to hear that Zen Garden had a room available. We stayed in the smaller room but the bed was very comfortable, the bathroom (with plenty of hot water) was a good size, and Mrs. Smigel, the host, was friendly and out of the way. The best part: A special breakfast taking into account any specific diets/allergies we had. The plumbing activity can be heard from the room, but not for long, and the proximity to the beach, the homey feel and the special breakfast made it a nice, comfortable stay.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank ENel7
Mrs S, Manager at Zen Garden Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2013

Dear ENEl7,

Thank you for writing such a nice review.

I am very happy that you liked it here and I enjoyed cooking for you.

Please stay here again should you ever need accommodation in the area.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

The place was perfect even before we arrived. Our host, Mrs Smigel was clear with instructions and her requirements for checkin etc. Being we travel a great deal, we love policies & procedures which means: no microwaves (thank you for being green), no rubbish left behind, bring own beach towels etc. We totally understood all the reasons.
Our room was the smaller of the 2 rooms but it seems Zen Garden B&B is the hidden secret. We had our privacy, our own table (no need to share or talk to strangers) and enjoyed the healthy selective breakfasts on blue china with cloth napkins! Its the simple old style I love. Mrs Smigel respected our privacy, rarely saw the her and we lived as if it was our own home. The upper shower could be annoying and why get in a twist with that!!! Perfect spot, end of quiet street and private! We look forward to coming back.
OH YEA, the bed & linens were high quality, very comfortable and better than most 4 star hotels. Every day the towels were changed and the place was extremely clean. That means so much for us! Clean & comfortable & private....what more could we ask for? It was the best way to visit the Oregon Coast!

Room Tip: Try to book in the Hiroshirge room as it is bigger. All rooms are extremely clean!
1  Thank theblaze54

Dear theblaze54,

Thank you for your appreciative and informative review.

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay here and the style of Zen Garden Bed and Breakfast.

It was very nice meeting you and I look forward to your return.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

My wife and I have stayed at Zen Garden B&B a few times each year, since discovering the place in 2009. Its quiet location, its close proximity to the beach and to trails in Nehalem Bay State Park, its tastefully decorated and comfortable rooms (complete with shelves of interesting books to browse), and Mrs. Smigel's delicious breakfasts -- all compel us to return. Though the B&B lies beyond the summertime bustle of Manzanita's main street (which is itself quaint and quiet compared to crowded Cannon Beach), the village's eateries and shops are just a short drive or a moderate walk away. For us, Zen Garden B&B offers a restorative escape time and again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Bill M
Mrs S, Manager at Zen Garden Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Dear Bill M,

Thank you for your wonderful review; it is always a happy day when you and your wife make a reservation here.

Please come back soon,

Reviewed September 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed four nights at Zen Garden as part of longer Oregon trip. We stayed in the suite. We were originally uncomfortable sending a check to pre-pay for our stay, but it worked out fine.
We found the location in Manzanita very good for exploring the coast (hiking state park trails) and it is about 30 minutes drive to Seaside/Cannon beach. Manzanita itself has plenty of little shops and restaurants. The local grocery is pricey (as expected) but adequate. The beach at Manzanita is beautiful but windy. It is fine for a walk but we didn't spend much time there.
The suite bedroom was roomy and has an attached dressing room/closet to store luggage and hang clothing. The bathroom was adequate, there was no shortage of very hot water and soft towels. I'm glad we booked the suite as we enjoyed having the separate living space. It was roomy and comfortable. The rooms could use more sound proofing as we could here everything going on in the house, especially the plumbing. We however are early risers (in general) so this wasn't really a problem for us.
We liked having a few options to choose from for breakfast each morning, and our breakfasts were the best food we ate while on the coast. We ate in the courtyard which is protected from the wind. It was a lovely way to start each day. Mrs. Smigel is very nice just not as engaging as some B&B hosts. She was available and helpful when ask. Our rooms were attended to when we were away and she was in no way invasive. Mrs. Smigel noticed my husbands martial arts uniform soiled from class the previous day, hanging in the bathroom. Knowing it wouldn't dry out, she laundered and dried. This was very much appreciated since it saved us the time at a laundrymat. This kind action was over and beyond anything we could have expected from a host. We were very happy with our stay at Zen Garden B&B.

2  Thank LAG0963

Dear LAGO963,

Thank you for your very kind review; it was a pleasure having you to stay here.

If you are ever in need of accommodation in the area again, please come back.

Mrs. S.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

My husband and I consider ourselves to be friendly, personable people, and we felt that Mrs. Smigel was very difficult to engage in conversation. She behaves as though she is suspicious of everything, and you do feel as though you are being watched. The experience was a bit creepy to say the least.

We stayed in the Zen room, which looked bigger on the internet. In reality, our master bathroom at home is bigger. The most annoying aspect of our stay was hearing Mrs. Smigel use the bathroom and shower above us. She woke me up one evening taking her shower, and every morning when she walked above us. When she flushed her toilet, it sounded like the water was running down our wall. The home has obviously been remodeled to accomodate the two rooms that are for rent, and we couldn't help but notice the poorly
soundproofed walls, and the poor sheetrock and taping. The accoustics will certainly prevent any romantic thoughts!! My husband wanted to leave when we saw our room, and encountered Mrs. Smigel's curt behavior. I convinced him to stay because I thought we would have to forfeit our money. I now wish that we had left and stayed somewhere that we felt welcome and comfortable. Mrs. Smigel did manage to smile a few times by the end of our stay.

Room Tip: do not choose the Zen room
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank gourmetfoodgroupie
Mrs S, Manager at Zen Garden Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Dear Gourmetfoodgroupie,

I appreciate that you took the time to write a review.

I am sorry to hear that you did not feel comfortable here; I am not sure what I could have done to make you happier, but I did not know you were not enjoying yourselves. I thought you were having wonderful time. When I saw you going to the beach the first night you stayed, you told me your family came from Germany and it seemed we had a nice conversation.

In general, I try not to disturb my guests with my presence as most people like their privacy; perhaps that is why you thought I was not friendly.

It seems that the Zen Room accommodation did not come up to your expectations. It is true, you will hear other people in the house; it is not a hotel with soundproofed rooms. But you are staying on a very quiet street, adjacent to a pine forest and within a minutes' walk to the wonderful ocean beach.

For the price, you might find a place to stay that you like more, but I am not sure where. The best place to look is, of course, on Tripadvisor.

So I advise the reader to research the options very carefully as I want all my guests to feel happy on their vacation.

Mrs. S.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Manzanita
Coast Cabins
#1 of 1 in Arch Cape
Surfside Resort
Surfside Resort
#1 of 8 in Rockaway Beach

Been to Zen Garden Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!